Author Topic: A Brake Problem/ Question  (Read 817 times)

Offline Matt Demick

A Brake Problem/ Question
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:32:52 pm »
Ok this is for my GF's 240sx but brakes on cars are almost all the same

So its a non abs car first off.

If u are at a light holding the brake for a few seconds u can feel the pedal go farther and farther down slowly. she will begin to roll if on a hill but if she lets off and applies again its ok for a few seconds again.

Now in the past 6 months i've done front and rear rotor, pads, and a master cylinder. I've inspected all brake lines and connections are there are no leaks. I've also bled the system muiltiple times including 10 times each corner yesterday.

I'm thinking its the brake booster. but a new one is over $250 so its a expense guess. What do you guys think?
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Merlin Beerens

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:22:25 pm »
I agree, it sounds like a booster.
url=http://gallery78402.fotopic.net/c223558.html]1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD[/url]

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:05:20 pm »
can you hear any sort of vaccum leak type sound when the brakes are on, compared to when there off?
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:48:55 pm »
i never listened for a leak. will tomorrow when i get a chance
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:06:32 am »
when reapplying the brakes, the brakes work, so that eliminates any fluid leaks in the system.

see if there are any cracks in the vacuum hose going towards the brake booster.  if it checks out fine, most likely the booster is the cause, as you have replaced all the other components.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline mitchell hamilton

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »
Sure it's not the master cylinder? ( I know you said you changed it though) As you hold the brake, fluid goes past the internal seals, pedal goes to the floor. Sounds definately like a internal fluid pressure problem to me.
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:28:21 pm »
good point Mitch. Well its under warriente from Lordco. got it like 3 months ago. So i'll bring one in just incase. But a buddy has a Booster in his garage and hes gonna give that to me for free. so i'll slap her in and see

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:16 pm »
Was this an OEM master, or a knock-off brand?  The knock-offs are pretty notorious for being bad right out of the box.  I've had friends go through three or four, finally give up and buy one from the dealer that works perfectly.

If you are loosing vacuum, the brake pedal will feel hard and it will be difficult to stop.  The brake pedal dropping usually points to an issue with the master, fluid weeping from the connectors, or even leaking past a caliper piston seal.

Sometimes caliper seal leaks can be hard to see as the fluid gets spread around everywhere and the inside of the wheel just looks a bit wet and dirty.    I've even had line leaks that were hard to spot as the surrounding area just looked very slightly wet and dirty.

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 04:13:30 pm »
i had a aftermarket one in there and it lasted a day then i put a OEM one in. Ordered another OEM one as a just incase. pedal seems to be sinking when the car is on and off now. so deff sure its the master. BUT i will take a look at the rear calipers since i did pads and rotors on the last month

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:34:48 pm »
I got in here a tad late, but you seem to have it in hand.  I would really suggest a master. Bypassing fluid like Mitch said.

And for knowledge, when a brake or clutch system has air in it, it WILL get better with repeated pumping up.  EG, in racing, you will often see the driver pumping up the brakes and then they complain about boiling fluid.  See when it boils, it creates air(gas) pockets.  Pumping it up temporarily takes care of that.

Also, the master has to be bench bled before its installed.  Look it up so you see how.

If not, you can get a bubble of air stuck in the perportioning valve.  To get rid of this, have 2 people.  person in the car, person with wrench to crack bleeder screw.  First, open screw, then push firmly all the way down on pedal, not too fast, but smoothly and quickly.  Hold it down, close bleeder.  You should hear a distinct "click" when the damn thing resets.  Do farthest away wheels in order to closest.

Also, if you must test the booster, pretty simple, just unplug the vac connection and plug it off so the engine doesn't run shitty.

Your symptoms sound hydraulic to me for sure. Could be a caliper or perp valve or other connection or leaking hose/pipe.

Really clean up each caliper, the whole thing, so if any leaks are evident they will show up.  Clean em and dry them.  Drive car for a day or so, make sure the master is topped up.  Put it up in the air(one wheel at a time if you have to).  Use a strong light and really look for leaks.  This can also be done at any connection and at the perp valve.

I had this on Carmens TSi and it eluded me for several months of on-and-off repairs.  Once the leak in the caliper got a bit more severe(but totally still driveable, most people wouldn't even have had a problem with it) I found the leak.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:28:33 pm »
Ok so i went over every brake line, porportioning vlave, caliper, no leaks anywhere.  and now just changed the booster. Still the same.  ABSOLUTELY no leaks anywhere. Resivor stays at the full line.

So i've come to the conclusion that the piston seal is screwed inside of the master cyl and fluid is getting around it. My new one will be in tomorrow morning so i'll change it tomorrow after work.

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 04:57:51 pm »
Got the new master in and she works fine now. thats the 3rd one this year. i got the most expensive OEM one Lordco carried and then they ate the bill.

Thanx for all your input guys