Author Topic: So who here knows about EU/DOT headlamp standards??  (Read 536 times)

Graeme Shaw

So who here knows about EU/DOT headlamp standards??
« on: April 09, 2004, 10:49:03 pm »
Those of you who troll ricescene may have noticed my HID retrofit questions recently.  I plan on doing this to 2Gb headlamps (whether I'll spend a fortune getting them put on a 1G, or just wait until I get a 2G, or just sell them once I have them is yet to be seen), and I was just looking at one I've acquired (still waiting for another...) and on it, amongst other letters and numbers, it has "E4", which--unless I'm mistaken--means that it's got EU certification.  Am I on crack, or is it already a Eurospec headlamp?

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 01:25:23 pm »
Whup, sorry boss.  Wasn't thinking when I pu this in the lounge :(

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 01:36:44 pm »
I don't know the law, but from what I've been told when I enquired about this with the rcmp is:

Everything has to be DOT certified, and aftermarket (non oem replacement) headlamp fixures, or bulbs are not legal for road use.  However, they feel there exists a grey area in the law, because people are fitting their cars (like older audis and bmws) with bmw and audi replacement HID systems.  These are true HID systems, and have been legalized for use on particular models, but this does not make them legal for your model.  So because of this grey area, if you keep the colour temperature low enough (I would go with 4XXX, and never try and go over 6000) AND have properly aimed headlights, you are unlikely to be pulled over.  Also, have the ballast WITH the high voltage sign visible in case you do get pulled over (70-75V) in case he asks you to pop your head to see if they are blue coloured bulbs, not a true HID system, etc, you now leave the ticket in the descretion of the officer, rather than a definite ticket due to blue bulbs or something.  But the bottom line is, you can still get a ticket, which you can later dispute in court if you want to, but then it is just up to the judges discretion.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 02:04:45 pm »
Oh, believe me, Martin, I've done my research more than thouroughly.  I've actually found the lighting/aiming requirements to get headlights approved for the MVAR separately of anything else ;)

I've just been mulling over whether to use DOT or EU projectors when retrofitting, and it was pointed out to me that maybe putting an EU projector in a DOT housing (for some reason or other) might not be a good idea.  But, if this is also an EU approved housing, it may negate the problems altogether...

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 02:46:03 pm »
Oh also, just because say a different certification exceeds DOT standards, doesn't make it legal of course either.  I'd go whichever one you like better I guess, and just aim them right and make sure they're not too blue.  Chances are the housing itself wont be looked at too thoroughly.  But don't listen to me either, this is just from what I have experienced and heard.  I'd personally just stick with the stock and try to avoid any possible problems with the look of my car.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]