Author Topic: welcome future veterans  (Read 4089 times)

Offline John Hartman

welcome future veterans
« on: April 19, 2006, 07:40:07 pm »
Hi there and welcome to our little corner of the universe.  Chances are, if you are posting in here, you just bought a not so new, not so shiny but fun as hell DSM of some sort.   8)

There are TONS of things to learn about these cars, but once you get the basics, the rest will come.

and once you start tuning on these, you will see that you made a wize descision to get one.  Nothing responds to tuning like these things.

This is where we would like you to post your first basic types of questions.  This keeps the clutter out of the more advanced areas.  And don't take that the wrong way, we all started at a basic level, and worked our way up.  It's just that now the club has well over 700(OMG!) members and we need to make it easier to navigate and less of a chore to access the site.

Also, if you post a question like "what type of engine do I swap into my 91 TSi?" or "why do I get horrid mileage with my blow-off valve vented to atmoshpere?" in the regular "garage"  you'd best have your asbestos pants on ;)

not that our members are jerks, its just that we have heard it all before and most of the simple questions like that can be answered by easily and quickly searching.

here is a good linky for you to get started.
http://bcdsm.org/index.php/topic,2418.0.html this has tons of good sites and resources.  I will try to add to them as I find good ones.  And thanx to those who have added to it in the past!

also there is www.dsmtuners.com  www.dsmtalk.com and Canadas very own http://www.ca.dsm.org/

I suggest read, read, read. Understand basic concepts and ask intelligent questions.

I also suggest, before you modify ANYTHING,  maintain that car, do EVERYTHING you can think of, not just basics.  Do a complete coolant flush, do your engine, tranny, transfercase, and rear diff oils.  do your brake fluid.  plugs.  filters.  etc etc etc.  and make your first mod a real boost gauge.  The factory one is NOT a manifold pressure guage at all, its a computer approximation and is crap.

I know these cars are Japanese in origin, but they are much like an Italian sports car of ages past. Hot, sexxxay, fast as hell, great handling etc, BUT!!  they also are cast iron bitches if you don't pay attention to em. Kinda like dating a figure skater, but hopefully more long term  ;)

Good luck and once again, welcome!

/edit/ apparently we pared some dead wood, member count changed accordingly
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:57:29 pm by John Hartman »
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods