Author Topic: stock exaust 1/4 times?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Rob Armstrong

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« on: April 22, 2006, 08:07:27 am »
Does anyone know what the fastest awd DSM 1/4 is with stock exaust?
I was told by Frank that I should be in the 13's. but I have a very min amount of mods and only ran 15's last time I was out Bone stock.

Offline Tim Hunt

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:00:53 am »
I ran a 13.7 @99 with the 2G AWD stock exhaust and a T-25 set at 16lbs.

I am assuming with a larger turbo it could go a bit faster.
.3L Magnus Motorsports
      Hybrid stroker
  Now FP 3052 boosted

Offline Kimyee Lai

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:38:32 am »
I had a stock exhaust but an electric cutout, does that count? :)
I think the best way to get an idea is to take a look on the dsmtimes page, and otehrwise you'll have to just run it to get a good indication.  Asking for 1/4 times is like asking if a particular type of girl makes a good girlfriend...YMMV.

Offline John Hartman

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:52:19 pm »
Like Kimyee said, its gonna vary a great deal depending on sooooo many different things.

It(at least a 1g) will be the limiting factor for sure.  Especially the downpipe.  Its quite restrictive.  I've seen cars with 3" turbo back, mild boost upgrades and an open filter outperform cars with much bigger turbos, racegas, better clutch and more on different occasions.  The stock downpipe is one of the weakest parts on these cars.

an engine is an air pump.  the more air that it flows thru it, the more power it makes, as long as its all working correctly.  You can get as much air into the engine as you want, best engine, great cams, plenty of fuel, great manifolds, $$$ turbo, but if it can't get out, its not going to make any power hardly at all.

Think of your house or apartment at the end of a hot, hot day.  Cooler outside but stifling inside. You open a window on one side of the house. Its a bit cooler near the window, but not that much better.  OK, so you close that and open a door.  Well, its better, but still only near the door.  "Aha" you think, and head over to the other side of the house and open another window or door.  NOW! you can feel some cold air flowing thru. Its cooler in mere min because the whole system is now flowing.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Rob Armstrong

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:26:34 pm »
thanks for the replys. I do know out exaust is restrictive and the benifits of having better airflow :wink:  But I was just curious as to how fast you can take it.

Offline John Hartman

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 06:44:51 pm »
ok, so what have you done to the car that Frank figures 13's?

and what was your 60' time?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Rob Armstrong

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:50:07 am »
I haven't done much, that's why I am wondering if it was just smoke talk on his part   :roll: he did say if I had a new clutch mind you.
before it started slipping, it launched WAY harder then when I ran 15.2 with a 2.08 60 ft time bone stock burnt out clutch at the time, and crankwalk. with only a K&N for mods.

I have a few more little things done now, but stock exaust.
6/4, mbc, fmic, free mods, rewired pump, cfdf, Hartman spec ported turbo and O2  :laugh:  had to say it.. was your post that made me do it :wink:

probaly miss a few things just got off work and its been like 39 hrs with less then 1 hr sleep :cry:  but man what a nice day for a cruse yesterday rib rib cough cough

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
Factory AWD DSM is rated at about 15.2 driven by an average driver.

Offline Kevin Jones

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:42:51 pm »
I picked up 4lbs of airflow when I switched to a 3inch turbo-back on my 2g with no other changes. This was running around 20psi on my small 16g. I had 29lbs of airflow before the exhaust and 33lbs after.

They say every pound is around 10 horses, so that's around 40hp I guess. I'm not sure what effect that would have on your ET though. :D

Offline John Hartman

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:09:13 pm »
hey post up some pics of that porting.

Offline Rob Armstrong

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:41:43 am »
I don't know how to post pics  :?
if you have MSN I can send you a couple ( shitydriver@hotmail.com ) taken with my cam phone, so they look like crap. The O2 came out real nice though. got it big enough to get a flapper wheel sanding thing in there and smoothed it out after I hoged it right out:D

Offline John Hartman

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:58:29 pm »
well, if its all put togeather already, not much more is gonna be done anyways.  If you do notice a real difference, you probably did fine.

Offline Andrew Scott

stock exaust 1/4 times?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:36:46 pm »
If you bump up the boost to just below the knock threshold, you should be able to at least get into low 14s with a stock exhaust

With a phenominal driver though, anything is possible
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT