Author Topic: 2G exhaust minifold ??  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Michael Peng

2G exhaust minifold ??
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:25 pm »
Currently, I have stock 1G.....
and as I mentioned in the other post.....I want to upgrade to bigger turbo and FMIC.....
but with some search on the net, and read 2G minifold is bigger and better..........so i might want to do the upgrades all together to save some labour money.....
We discussed with one of my friends......and he said something with bigger minifold.....I might get boost creep??........not sure if this info is correct......so just want to clearify....
if it is not boost creep.......what problem might happen if I upgrade to 2G minifold??.......

Offline John Hartman

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 10:46:42 pm »
a 2g exhaust manifold will not cause boost creep.

There are no problems with a 2g manifold on a 1g car except for a very minor bit of trimming to make it fit on one end.  Very minor.

Its a better casting, made of better material, less prone to cracking and flows better.  As well, there is more material to remove should you want to go nuts with some porting.

only thing is they cost more usually.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Michael Peng

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:41:59 pm »
hmm........then what is the difference between 2G minifold and Evo minifold??
which one is better??......what will be your suggestions??John??
Thank you for all the replies......u r great help!!

Offline Rob Armstrong

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 03:47:43 pm »
The difference between the 2g and an EVO is like the difference between a 1g and a 2g.. its bigger, better , and if you want to upgrade go with the EVO.

But I have been wrong before :wink:

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:51:08 pm »
Rob you're exactly right, 2G's are better.

But the evo manifold is much better than the stock 2G one.
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline John Hartman

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 05:13:08 pm »
the Evo is better, and the Kinetic one even better, but, if you have less money a used 2g is quite a bit cheaper and you can port the collector and a slight bit on the head end, and its going to be good enough unless you go nutso with your turbo and all the supporting mods.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 05:42:49 pm »
well I run a $200 pacesetter form lordco and its killer and never had a problem with it
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline John Hartman

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11:30 pm »
not sure if he is after that, but good info anyways.

see how it holds the weight of that -11   :twisted:

Offline Eric Wang

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 02:05:26 am »
Will I need to modify my FMIC if I use 2g MAF + EVO 16g? Is the combo still in the stock location? Thanks.

Offline Miles Frederick

2G exhaust minifold ??
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 02:10:40 am »
Turbo is the same shape as a 14b, so it will bolt right up.  The 2Gmaf is larger and will probably require some modification to the intake pipe to make it fit.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.