Author Topic: ...stinkin clutch  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Richard Steger

...stinkin clutch
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:40 pm »
Well after my first trip to North Central Motorsports Park (as a racer) and 6 high rpm launches ( got a 14.40 et with 1.9 60 ft  :twisted: ) my clutch is having no more of this 4 tire squacking kicks in the but.  It doesn't slip under full throttle in any gear at full engagement...yet.  So I'm trying to get informed about cluthces...
 I don't want one that gives me Popeye leg, but I want to be able to run consistent 1.9 60 foot times at the dragstrip. I'm considering ACT, Centerforce, Exedy, Kinetic, Slowboy, etc...  I can't aford a twin disc Exedy or else that would be my choice.  Exedy's Hyper Single Clutch extols its forged aluminum pressure plate's lack of clamp load deflection. Sounds good to me. Organic, sintered iron, ceramic, kevlar, full face, 6 and 4 puck discs, kits including flywheels are all variations offered by different manufacturers that I've read about.
 I welcome any experiences with different brands, compounds, pucks, etc... and recomendations too.
Thanks everyone!
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Rob Armstrong

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:36:17 pm »
I am on my 2nd CFDF and I like the feel, engagement,price.
I hate the fact that you cant heat it up lots.The only reason I got another one is cuz I couldn't find an ACT sprung 6puck before the FVT :roll:  I really tried too.

I will buy a ACT well before I fry this one, just so I'm prepared.  8)
I run a XACT lightweight flywheel, no issues here.

With this CFDF I atleast waited/restrained myself from launching for the worst 700k's to break it in. Should have been 1000k's but comon  :laugh:  who can hold back for 1000k's :wink:

OK I did launch once at the FVT but it also was the FVT :D

Offline Michael Cummings

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:56:39 am »
If you want a great clutch but are worried about "popeye leg" I suggest you get an ACT 2600 but get a stainless braided clutch line, it softens it up a bit.  This is what I run and its still pretty stiff, but an improvement than the 2600 with the stock rubber line.
The 2600 and fidanza aluminum flywheel is a wicked combination that alot of people run, including myself, and I guarantee you'll be satisfied with it.  That combo has probably been my favourite mod i've done to my car, minus my blue led blinker light in my interior.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Jon Wong

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:20:29 pm »
Are you sure a SS clutch line softens the clutch up?  That doesn't sound right to me...
I thought they just smoothed pedal pressure because the rubber hose doesn't expand.

I have the Kinetic flywheel/clutch and the SS clutch line.  I drive it daily and have no problems with how heavy the clutch is.  I'd say its only about 30% harder to push than stock, maybe even less.
7 gsx

Offline John Hartman

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »
I have a CFDF and a Fidanza. I like it.  I can spin all 4 if I want to.

But it has nice pedal pressure and traffic useability.  Lighter than stock.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Richard Steger

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:56:19 pm »
I think the CFDF sound like a good compromise with its pucks on the flywheel side and full face on the pp side.  Rob says it can't take heat though.  I would hate to spend the money and have the clutch fry after a dozen launches down the strip.  ACT is recommended by many but their website gives little to no info on their disc compositions.  Everybody does agree that the ACT 2600 requires a strong left leg though. It seems that the 4 or 6 puck discs have greater torque capacity but high probability of chattering, although Kinetic says theirs chatters less than an ACT street disc.  Unorthodox racing seems to have their poop in a group more tha the other manufacturers by telling you the expected longevity of their different discs, driveability difficulties, torque capacities and engine power levels.  
Any more comments, guys? :?
How much would it cost for me to switch to an auto like Mitch Delmer runs with?
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Rob Armstrong

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 01:53:04 am »
He runs a manual now I do belive 8)
Real men drive stick :wink:

Offline Miles Frederick

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 02:26:18 am »
My ACT 2600 w/ the street disc has served me well for sure.  It'd a little heavy when in traffic, but the rest of the time is not really noticable.

Very little chatter once broken in.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Richard Steger

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:43:19 am »
As far as flywheels go, I like the sounds of the ACT Xact, Fidanza and Unorthodox Racing. The UR has a neat "Ferritic Nitrocarburized Inserts" on their aluminum flywheel. Its supposed to be harder and higher friction coefficient than steel ( like the Xact ), but it costs 2x the Xact and Fidanza.  The xact has the integrated ring gear and friction surface, but weighs 11.6 pounds, same weight as the UR. But the Fidanza weighs 8 POUNDS and cost the same as the Xact.  It also has a replaceable 1050 steel friction surface. I like the Fidanza. Lighter is better, right?
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline John Hartman

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:10:37 am »
I run the 7.9lbs Fidanza, and I like it.  I stalled it ONCE in over a year of daily driving and my wife never stalled it.  Good plate.

Mitch is running a CFDF/Fidanza and his setup is INSANE.  go look in this link.  http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14691&start=0

if a CFDF/Fidanza can hold THIS setup, it will hold yours  ;)

as well, its held Lowells low 11 pass and his multiple low 12 passes (2 cars)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Michael Cummings

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:06:41 pm »
Are you sure a SS clutch line softens the clutch up? That doesn't sound right to me...
I thought they just smoothed pedal pressure because the rubber hose doesn't expand.

This is what i meant...couldn't think of a better way to describe it.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Richard Steger

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 09:05:16 pm »
AWwwrriiiiight! If a CFDF plate and disc can hold the power Lowell and Mitch are spewing out, then that's for me. Sounds like it's near stock pedal effort too with it's centrifugal weights and has a great dual personality with the carbon composite pucks on the flywheel side and full face on plate side. CFDF and Fidanza! My shopping is over :D .
Thanks everyone!
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Richard Steger

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 07:15:02 pm »
Sorry to ressurect this topic, but I still have uncertainties about which clutch to buy :? .  Road Race Engineerings site says that if you launch hard and often you will kill a CFDF.  You must allow time between runs for it to cool or you will kill it. Also, 500 mile breakin is required.Some on the Canada Club Dsm forum say that the CFDF is too weak. But the ACT 2600 sounds too stiff for my liking.  The Kinetic and Slowboy street disc have a Carbon Kevlar weave and 50% less pedal pressure that the ACT 2600. Any thoughts on these? South Bend Clutch also offers full face Kevlar and Iron discs plus Cryogenic treatment.  I've heard this used often on high performance parts.  More input would be nice or else you can ignore me and I'll just go away :oops:
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Trev_Scott

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 07:41:20 pm »
Im going to be trying sbr's 3500 Heavy Duty Clutch Kit with prob an act exact flywheel combo, but might switch to a fidanza flywheel not too sure yet. If you go to dsmtuners and search for any clutch that your interested in, you will find tons of reviews. Hope this helps.
- 04 Audi A4 1.8t - (Slightly modded)
- 95 Tsi - Ported sbr mani with tial38, evo3 turbo/O2, 650's, aro afpr,
wineboro 255, 10.5x28x3.5 XS-PWR fmic, Type-s, MBC,
Apexi N1 DP/Exhaust, Maf GenII  3.5" maf, Pocket logger,
Innovate LC1, Stage3 eprom,  poly mounts, act2600/flywheel
BS removed *RIP

Offline Jon Wong

...stinkin clutch
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:33 pm »
When I was looking for a clutch most people on DSMtalk and DSMtuners did not like the CFDF clutch's because they burnt out to fast.  ACT had a great reputation till a few had quality issues, now everyone is scared to use them.  Slow Boy Racing/Kinetic clutch, when I was looking last year only had a few reviews.  

But like Trev said... go do a search on the other forums.
7 gsx