Author Topic: '93 N/A FWD engine in a '91 TSI AWD?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Drew Sale

'93 N/A FWD engine in a '91 TSI AWD?
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:28:16 am »
would it work if i put my '93 engine in the '91 body? i'm not exactly sure if it would be compatible since mine isn't turbo or AWD but the car it's going in is turbo and AWD.
thoughts/comments?
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
Re: '93 N/A FWD engine in a '91 TSI AWD?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:55:36 pm »
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: A turbo motor is different than a non-turbo motor so no you can't just swap the turbo onto your NA motor and drop it in.

NA motors have what.. 9 to 1 compression i think?

Turbo motors have 7.5 to 1 i believe.

As for the AWD that doesn't have anything to do with the motor. Transmission yes as the FWD tranny doesn't have an input for a transfer case (or at least i wouldn't think it does.. never owned a FWD)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:27:16 pm »
So you want to put a NT motor in a turbo AWD?

It could be done.  The block and crank are the same, the rods and pistons are weaker.  So you can't really run it with a turbocharger on the motor.  It would all bolt together but it wouldn't last very long. 

If you are just looking for a car to drive for a while and you want it to run until you can find/build a good turbo you could certainly do it. 

Use the NT motor with either head, the turbo motor plate (at the back of the block between the flywheel and block), the NT rubber intake hose with the turbo MAS, turbo injectors, turbo computer, knock sensor, NT exhaust manifold, NT downpipe and hopefully that mates to the cat convertor. 

The only other thing is you might have a 7 bolt NT motor, and the 91 will be a 6 bolt.  The clutch doesn't matter but you will need a turbo flywheel, either 6 or 7 bolt to match the crankshaft.  The NT flywheel is smaller and the starter won't touch the flywheel ring gear, plus it's not stepped.   
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Nelson Inacio

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »
You could buy this for 800 bucks,drop the 93 engine into it and have 3 dsms
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/544959644.html
92 tsi awd
91 tsi fwd 523,000kms R.I.P.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01:33 pm »
ok with that said...

you can't take a NA engine and drop it into a turbo'd car(or used to be turbo'd) and have an AWD NON-Turbo car?
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
Don't know of a reason you couldn't. Only issue i'd see is if the AWD tranny mates up with the NT block. I'd imagine it would?

Other then that you'd have a slow AWD talon :)

No offense to those without snails... you're just slower.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:37:20 pm »
If you re-read what I posted you can. 

As long as you had a complete AWD and most of the FWD you could easily make a NT AWD.  The only non bolt on part would probably be the exhaust because I don't think the FWD NT downpipe would just bolt onto the AWD cat back.  The other one is the NT downpipe might not even clear the subframe because FWD and AWD front subframes are different in shape. 

Everything else would be a bolt on affair and it would just be a matter of making sure your MAS, injectors, and ECU were all from the same car.  The only other part that wouldn't strictly bolt on would be the NT TB because the vacuum line arrangement is different.  It'd be easy to figure that out tho. 

It might even be a total bolt on affair if you got a DP from a 2000GTX AWD NT... Since they're built on the GVR-4 platfrom it's probably compatible. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*