Author Topic: 1 gb stereo wiring  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Joliesa Lepp

• 1993 tsi awd - big 16g, fmic, meth... head.
1 gb stereo wiring
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:16 pm »
Having a retardedly stupid problem.

My 93 Talon has two (2!!!) seperate aftermarket setups for an amps and subs previously in it. Both have been cut and disconected in completely different places and all the wiring is so mixed up that I can't even find the wires from the door panels to the wiring harness. None of the wring matches stock diagrams or anything I can find. I'm just about ready to hang myself with this stuff and lucky me found all this out while tryin to just putting in an amp for my car. Thought it's be easy just hook everything up make sure it's connected and bam. Done. 5 hours later and... no.

Anyone have any experience or advice with dealing with this type of f*ups? There is a sticker from a&b sound from 10/01/1993.  (Maybe I should phone them up.  ::))
Outta the game!

Offline Andrew King

Re: 1 gb stereo wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
Well with my laser, They had cut all the wiring so i just ran completly new wires. So far it has worked wonders so maybe just run all new wires etc?
1992 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd- In progress

DSM, A car for the gods... Good thing i've got one!

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »
put all new shit in, skip the garbage in between
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:12:17 am »
i've completely rewired both my 1g and 2g from the ground (no pun intended) up. if you want i can take a look at what you've got set up and try to fix it. i'll pm you my cell number.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:53 am »
Just pull out the old wiring and start over.  It should be both easy to get it out and easy to identify it as non-factory.  Then just start over. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jon Rabeneck

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:04:23 am »
as harsh as it sounds, its much better to start from scratch, and think of the piece of mind! no loose or 'iffy' wires...
[Dwight Schrute]:
I am fast. To give you a reference point, I'm somewhere between a snake and a mongoose. And a panther.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
I have the plug and play kit for wiring to the factory stereo plugs if you need any of that
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:51:57 pm »
Thanks for putting up with the little ventfest I had. I think you're all right. There's just so much stuff in there thats not being used anymore and some of it is just wires connected by electrical tape together. (Scary!!! Go professionals.) The boyfriend and I took a serious look and tear down of it today and... yeah. Might as well just get it over with. Now if only I wasn't so broke!  ;D
Outta the game!

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:01:44 pm »
when i picked up my 2g there were wires all over the place, including switches, little plastic boxes and a few other things. i had no clue what almost all of them did until i just tore the car apart and followed all the wires. turns out they were all loose and connected to nothing  >:(
but now i know for sure what all the wires are in my car. much better now  ;D

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:04:11 pm »
I Believe that. Another question. Mitch seems to think he remembers a stock amp under the dash, but he's not sure. Since I have not pulled the dash. Is there actually one there?
Outta the game!

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »
my instinct says no, that just doesn't make sense. power to the speakers comes from the deck itself.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:34:17 pm »
There is a stock factory amp (same size as any normal CD player) under the factory deck infront of the ECU. It is bolted to a bracket with the stock CD player
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:19 pm »
well i'll be damned

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:54 pm »
But theres no stock deck in my car, just an older Sony Xplod cd player. No little black box under the cd player that resembles an amp or in between that and the computer. So obviously if it had a stock amp, probably someone would've taken it out? (the setup in the back is wired for an amp... just the speaker wires are cut.) Same for the doors. Actually the speaker wires for the doors are MIA. So, run new wires to override the existing overly cramped wires, or pull the dash and fix everyone elses crap... hm.
Outta the game!

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »
The factory amp would be a gold coloured metal box like the ECU.  The aftermarket setups wouldn't have used any of the stock amp wiring though. 

You don't even have stock door speaker wires in there?

You can pick them up by the deck and just use them to save running new wiring into the doors which is a PITA. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*