Author Topic: New to the club  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
New to the club
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »
Hi everybody!

Finally I could register - it's a bit difficult now, but Ryan checked his email at last. :)
I am a bit late to the DSM party, but I've always liked the look of the 2G Eclipse, and the fact there is an AWD model available.
Had to have family cars recently, and now decided I do need something for myself, not too expensive, but fun to drive, preferably AWD, and here I am with silver 1999 Eclipse GSX. Actually some of you will find it familiar, as it's from one of the members, and has even got BCDSM decals. ;)

For the last month and a half I've been reading a lot, and putting it back in shape - fixed some small (and not so small) things here and there, got the sunroof shade, spare tire, trunk floor&cover, had the broken bumper replaced (thanks to Calvin Ng), got new headlamps, and started going further - installed a boost gauge, MBC, and Evo III BOV. My plan is probably to get a bigger turbo, though I don't really want to do very hard-core mods.

Meanwhile I had a somewhat funny accident. Went to get some parts, and on the way back my shifter just broke completely loose, so I couldn't put any gear! Tried to disassemble the console to see what exactly happened, but didn't have the tools, when I realized it was still in the 1st gear, so I started the engine and went home - all the way in the 1st, revving like crazy, but barely moving. :) Well, had to fix that too.

But regardless of the small hiccups, I like this little car! Having fun even when working with it, not only driving.

Alex
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
Re: New to the club
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »
Welcome Alex!  Your 2G looks really good.  Clean looking.  Nice wheels and stance on the car.

Broken shifter/driving all the way in first is a great intro - love it.

Offline Brandon Dietrich

• ....-Dude i almost had u
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
wellllcommeeeeee ;D ;D
Copyright and trademark of Ricky Bobby Inc -_-<br /><br />------------------—---------------------------------------------<br />95 talon tsi awd - current<br />99 eclipse gst - sold<br />97 talon  bosted 420a - sold

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
Welcome aboard, buddy! ;D
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:33:24 pm »
Welcome Alex!  Your 2G looks really good.  Clean looking.  Nice wheels and stance on the car.
Thank you!

Broken shifter/driving all the way in first is a great intro - love it.
Yeah, that was actually not very pleasant experience, when I put the gear, and the shifter just stayed in my hand. I was stuck on a small street, right near the entrance to a bigger one, blocked the exit from a store yard, and a truck couldn't turn from there because of me, the cars were behind waiting... And I couldn't do anything! I thought: "WTF! What am I supposed to do? How do I fix it? How do I at least get the car back home?..."
Apparently I had exactly the same problem as this guy.
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »
Welcome Alex

Now we have a few more silver 2gs
I have a 1999 Silver GS-T, not the coveted GSX
but love my car all the same.

Located in Abby.

Hope to meet you some day.
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »
Kim's old car?

Welcome
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:51:36 pm »
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »
welcome to the club :)
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Sheela krasnuik

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Welcome Alex
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11:18 pm »
really nice ride man!

and you seem to be going about your journey in the right way.  reading, researching, keeping it sane.  Good for you!!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ed Altizer

• 1994 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »
Nice Car Alex!  Last of the 2g's...Love 'em!

And consider your shifter a mild initiation into the dsm scene...we all go thru it :P

EDIT: This last statement is to be humorous only!!  Apologies to those that might take this comment seriously and have a dsm that doesn't need any work. We don't all go thru it!!! lol  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:57:56 pm by Ed Altizer »
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
        2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2002 Suzuki Katana 750
     1994 Eagle Talon TSi - Sold

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:54 pm »

And consider your shifter a mild initiation into the dsm scene...we all go thru it :P

Not all DSMs are equal, some actually have no problems
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Andrew M Husband

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
welcome :) i cant wait to find another 2g avaible. planning on picking up a super clean 2g next year if i can find one that i like. hoping for a eclipse since i already have a talon :P

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:43 pm »
Not all DSMs are equal, some actually have no problems
Heh... Frankly speaking I haven't had any major problems with DSM itself yet. The issues I've been dealing with so far are mostly with something done by the previous owners (pre-previous owner messed up with the car quite a lot, Kim only crashed into a curb, that's it ;)), this after-market short shifter is one of those non-original things.

There was just a couple of issues with the original equipment - the motorized antenna was broken, and the trunk opens with difficulty, but that's just because of the age. These nice cars are just getting old. :(
1999 Eclipse GSX