Author Topic: New to the club  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Zach Holt

Re: New to the club
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:58 am »
Welcome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »
What he said ^^^  ;D
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Kevin Yue

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:01 pm »
Hey Alex, nice meeting you today. I've already got the exhaust cleaned up and ready for install.
'95 Talon TSi AWD - Daily driver
'84 Corvette C4 - For Sale

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:33 pm »
Hey Alex, nice meeting you today. I've already got the exhaust cleaned up and ready for install.
Cool! Interesting how loud it will actually be. It's huge! :o
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »
on a turbo car its not that bad if you have a cat and muffler, and full interior.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:01 pm »
on a turbo car its not that bad if you have a cat and muffler, and full interior.
I'm actually thinking about some 2.5". Haven't really done a research yet though. Any thoughts off the top of your head?
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »
a mandrel bend 2.5" system with a good high flow cat and nice performance muffler will do you just fine, according to your stated goals.

that said a good mandrel bent 3" setup will never let you down this side of an honest 600whp, and if its a well made stainless system, it will out last you if you don't drive over large pointy objects alot.  And if you put a cat and a fairly quiet(not an N1 or similar) muffler you won't hate it either.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:37 pm »
a mandrel bend 2.5" system with a good high flow cat and nice performance muffler will do you just fine, according to your stated goals.

that said a good mandrel bent 3" setup will never let you down this side of an honest 600whp, and if its a well made stainless system, it will out last you if you don't drive over large pointy objects alot.  And if you put a cat and a fairly quiet(not an N1 or similar) muffler you won't hate it either.
Well, 600whp is definitely too much. I don't think I'll have enough time and money to get there. My probable goal would be around 300hp - this looks like a good number. :) As far as I understand, Evo 16G turbo, and 2.5" downpipe/exhaust (with other necessary mods, like a fuel pump, etc) should get me there. What alternative way could I go? What major stock components could be still used while achieving that? Is it possible to keep the stock turbo or exhaust?
One thing I have to keep in mind - I don't want the car to be too loud. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac, and wouldn't like to bother my neighbors too much. That's why I'd choose 2.5" exhaust over a 3" one.

PS. There is still so much to learn for me!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:51:12 pm by Alex Pakhotin »
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
the stock turbo, full exhaust and injectors/pump have to be replaced to get to even 300 crank hp.

For 300 awhp on the RG Mustang all wheel drive dyno, you will need a GOOD Evo 16g, cams, full exhaust, good intake, injectors, pump and front mount intercooler with some sort of means of tuning. Probably methano/water injection as well.  It would be easier with a slighlty larger turbo as there are only a couple of actual 16g cars making over that and they are tuned very well, and have lots of time on them making them that way.

220-250 awhp on that dyno is a pretty damn fast car.  My car was making a "mere" 291hp when I went 11.92.  Just for reference.  Also for referece, Subaru STis routinely make between 205 and 210 on that dyno, so again, no need to go that far for a real, tame street car.

your car will feel very fast with a full exhaust, a ported 14b(stock turbo from a 1st gen car), some 1st gen turbo cams and a good intake system.  If you add a fuel pump and some mid sized injectors with a chip tune or an eprom tune or something conservative in the engine management dept, your car will feel pretty damn good and in fact it will be.

This I think, with a few minor changes/additions would make for a perfect daily driver, quiet adult ride.

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:42 pm »
220-250 awhp on that dyno is a pretty damn fast car.  My car was making a "mere" 291hp when I went 11.92.  Just for reference.  Also for referece, Subaru STis routinely make between 205 and 210 on that dyno, so again, no need to go that far for a real, tame street car.
Thanks for the numbers - I was actually interested how much power is lost on the way to the wheels. I actually meant bhp. I know 300 whp is quite a lot.
BTW, how much whp does a stock GSX/GST/TSi make? I saw the numbers like 150-170, but if you're saying the STi's lose 30+%, for the stock 2G it might be even 140-150whp?

Quote from: John Hartman
your car will feel very fast with a full exhaust, a ported 14b(stock turbo from a 1st gen car), some 1st gen turbo cams
Hmm... I didn't know that 1G turbo is better than 2G. Knew only about the BOV. Why did Mitsubishi (or should I say DSM) make so many things in the newer gen worse?!?
Though looking at the 3G, that was just the beginning.  :-\

and a good intake system.
I have Injen, so I consider this part done, right?

If you add a fuel pump and some mid sized injectors with a chip tune or an eprom tune or something conservative in the engine management dept, your car will feel pretty damn good and in fact it will be.

This I think, with a few minor changes/additions would make for a perfect daily driver, quiet adult ride.
That is exactly my goal! :)
Thank you very much for all this useful information!
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Joliesa Lepp

• 1993 tsi awd - big 16g, fmic, meth... head.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:51 pm »
Well, my post is better late than never, Welcome here!!!!
Outta the game!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 11:52:02 pm »
several things are better on the 2g, such as the exhaust manifold, the basic suspension design, the throttle body elbow.  Some will say the cylinder head as well, but thats debated.  The 1g has a better turbo, better cams and at least the early ones, a better engine.  There are more but those are the big ones.

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 12:31:09 am »
several things are better on the 2g, such as the exhaust manifold, the basic suspension design, the throttle body elbow.  Some will say the cylinder head as well, but thats debated.  The 1g has a better turbo, better cams and at least the early ones, a better engine.  There are more but those are the big ones.
Good to know. Thank you John!
1999 Eclipse GSX