Author Topic: Newbie - Shifting to Canada from New Zealand  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Ryan Gillespie

Newbie - Shifting to Canada from New Zealand
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:05:48 pm »

Hi everybody,
My name is Ryan. My wife and I are shifting over to Canada in April 2012 to do a years working holiday before settling down back in New Zealand. Seeing as we really dont know anyone over in Canada I thought I might hit the local DSM club up (as I have a Galant VR4 here in NZ). Hopefully you guys can help me out with some questions that will come up in regards to living in your fair country.

So heres a photo of my Galant. Its a JDM factory "Evo 0" model meaning it came from the factory with shorter gear ratio, 16G turbo, bigger intercooler and piping, vented bonnet etc etc. Its about to go in to have a Link computer (www.linkecu.co.nz) fitted and dyno tuned. I've also just had the wheels powdercoated blue. The colours a bit out there but I thought I can always get them re-powdercoated down the track if I want to change it.

Look forward to hearing from some of you guys.

Cheers!
Ryan

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Newbie - Shifting to Canada from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »
sweeet.  nice to have ya on the forum!!  That GVR4 is sweet!!  Any engine mods or just stock?

I got a lancer evo I GSR (imported) and a few turbo colts as well.

John Hartman on this forum owns a Galant AWD N/A 2.0L as well!  you and him will probably get along well ahahah

what part of canada are you moving to?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »
I have the shorter gear ratio too, and I wish I didn't because its too buzzy on the hiway, but it would be great in back road rallies etc.

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:25 pm »
sweeet.  nice to have ya on the forum!!  That GVR4 is sweet!!  Any engine mods or just stock?

I got a lancer evo I GSR (imported) and a few turbo colts as well.

John Hartman on this forum owns a Galant AWD N/A 2.0L as well!  you and him will probably get along well ahahah

what part of canada are you moving to?

Cheers Brett. The engine has been rebuilt by the previous owner with forged pistons and rods. It has a BOV, a heavier clutch and a big bore exhaust system. I am getting the intercooler piping redone this week and fitting up some ID1000 injectors. Ill post some photos once its all back.

I bet an early shape Evo is rare in Canada! I have previously owned an Evo 2 for a short period of time. They are a weapon of a car. Yell out if you need any parts as there are a decent number of early Evos over here.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
I have the shorter gear ratio too, and I wish I didn't because its too buzzy on the hiway, but it would be great in back road rallies etc.

Yeah agree it is way too shorter gearing. I have considered changing up to 3.545 ratio but it would be a heap of work.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:44 am »
Welcome!!!
I would really like one of those electronic mufflers sold only in New Zealand and Australia.
http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-remote-control-sports-muffler.php

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:32:13 pm »
can i have one;)
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:14 am »
Welcome!!!
I would really like one of those electronic mufflers sold only in New Zealand and Australia.

There is the below 2nd hand Varex muffler for sale for NZ$200 (CAD$160). Only thing is its 2.5" inlet but if it did suit you I could send it over.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-421527357.htm

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:06:18 pm »
Ryan, for the gearing, if you wanted to, just change the tranny, rear end and tcase from a 1g DSM.  All bolt in, fairly cheap and not horribly hard to do.

Plus, over here you would easily be able to sell your "JDM" setup to someone who wanted that.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:25 pm »
Welcome!!!

There is the below 2nd hand Varex muffler for sale for NZ$200 (CAD$160). Only thing is its 2.5" inlet but if it did suit you I could send it over.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-421527357.htm
Looking for 3" inlet dual outlet (New Zealand +64 9 5265021) or http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/?action=products&type1=Exhaust&type2=Mufflers&type3=Remote%20control

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:00:49 am »
those you linked are all $600!!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:30 am »
Dans a baller like that.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:49:33 am »
Ryan, for the gearing, if you wanted to, just change the tranny, rear end and tcase from a 1g DSM.  All bolt in, fairly cheap and not horribly hard to do.

Plus, over here you would easily be able to sell your "JDM" setup to someone who wanted that.

Cheers John. I did think of swapping it all out but the car is only a weekend driver so Ill just live with it. Plus I like the 4 bolt rear end with LSD!!

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
Welcome!!!

Looking for 3" inlet dual outlet (New Zealand +64 9 5265021) or http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/?action=products&type1=Exhaust&type2=Mufflers&type3=Remote%20control

The offer is there if you want me to send one over. No issues at all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:50 pm »
Ryan you can get a 4bolt LSD in DSM gearing too, its on every DSM from 92 and up.