Author Topic: Newbie - Shifting to Canada from New Zealand  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Ryan Gillespie

Re: Newbie - Shifting to Canada from New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »

Oh really? Did not realise that. Anyway Ill just stick with it the way it is.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 07:14:57 pm »

So can anyone give me an idea on how the job market is in Canada at the moment. I am worried that I will struggle to track down a job when I only have a one year work visa. We are currently looking at moving to Vancouver but will realistically travel wherever my wife and I can find work. I currently work in Air Freight and my wife in computer programming and helpdesk work.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »

So can anyone give me an idea on how the job market is in Canada at the moment. I am worried that I will struggle to track down a job when I only have a one year work visa. We are currently looking at moving to Vancouver but will realistically travel wherever my wife and I can find work. I currently work in Air Freight and my wife in computer programming and helpdesk work.

The job market is a little rough right now.  It pretty much comes down to your certifications and who you know....  Im sure if you put a solid effort into getting your resume out and look professional and such you should be able to find work.  Im not sure how the air freight industry is in vancouver tho as im a mechanic and my wife is grade 1 teacher lol.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 07:34:11 pm »

The job market is a little rough right now.  It pretty much comes down to your certifications and who you know....  Im sure if you put a solid effort into getting your resume out and look professional and such you should be able to find work.  Im not sure how the air freight industry is in vancouver tho as im a mechanic and my wife is grade 1 teacher lol.

Cheers for your message Brett. I don't really know anyone in Canada so I will just start contacting businesses a couple of weeks before we leave New Zealand. Hopefully something comes up!

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 08:27:43 pm »
Ryan, depending on your Wifes IT background I may be able to suggest her for a helpdesk position in my organization (A health authority)
Its just service desk but its government and pays very well. Pm me your email and I'll tell you the basics.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
Wow that would be awesome Remi, thanks! PM on the way!!

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »

Hey all,
So an update - we are arriving into Vancouver on the 20th April. We are booking in to a hostel for a week to have a look around and get a feel for the city. We are going to have a heap of questions (being new to Vancouver) so hopefully you guys can help us out. One thing I am wondering about is how do people in Vancouver get exercise through the winter? In New Zealand I can go out for a run through summer and winter but I would imagine it wouldnt be possible to run in Vancouver due to the cold/snow etc.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »
I saw a guy jogging by on the street during some light snow this afternoon, he was wearing shorts!

Other than some rain you should be fine, as long as you dress appropriately.  Enjoy your stay.

1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 04:10:45 pm »
ya doesn't snow much in van, buddy.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

Cool thats good to hear, thanks guys. Cant wait to get over there!

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »
Where in NZ are you from? my girlfriend and I loved it there and would move there without a doubt.

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:44 pm »
Where in NZ are you from? my girlfriend and I loved it there and would move there without a doubt.

Hey Richard. We are moving from Christchurch where the earthquakes have been. Our place got damaged in the quake so we are living in my dads lounge at the moment. Partly the reason why we are shifting over to Canada.

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:01 am »
as some one that has lived in vancouver montreal and a couple places in between. the commercial drive area is wonderfuck google vancouver eat van commercial drive. cheapest food from shops we are talking half the price of safeway etc. tons of pubs and bars and still quite after 1130ish on weekdays. mtl awesome, alberta good pay but nothing to do, GVRD commercial drive is where its at. its the hub of vancvouer TD core is 15 min drive in rush hour going out to the burbs is against the flow of traffic in the morning on the highways. or public transit we are awesome too once again hub of the GVRD east west north and south. people are nice etc. just an idea for place of living after the hostel.

if you have any thoughts just pm me.

hope it helps you out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:44 am »
ya i would be a little sketchy about staying in a hostel here in canada, hostels in north america are not like they are over in europe. the name might be the same but the types of people that hang out at each are very different.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Ryan Gillespie

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »
as some one that has lived in vancouver montreal and a couple places in between. the commercial drive area is wonderfuck google vancouver eat van commercial drive. cheapest food from shops we are talking half the price of safeway etc. tons of pubs and bars and still quite after 1130ish on weekdays. mtl awesome, alberta good pay but nothing to do, GVRD commercial drive is where its at. its the hub of vancvouer TD core is 15 min drive in rush hour going out to the burbs is against the flow of traffic in the morning on the highways. or public transit we are awesome too once again hub of the GVRD east west north and south. people are nice etc. just an idea for place of living after the hostel.

if you have any thoughts just pm me.

hope it helps you out.

Hey Zach, Thanks alot for that info. Just spent some time googling that info to see what the places are like. Commercial drive looks bloody good. Where would you say the "IT" area of Vancouver is? Or is it spread all over? Casey, my wife, is in IT and I'm hoping to get a job at the Airport in Air Freight. Are there any good areas to live in that are accessible to both. We wont likely be buying a car over there and will stick to public transport to get around.