Author Topic: New to the site  (Read 2921 times)

Offline David Knoff

New to the site
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:02 am »
Hi guys just wanted to say hi !!
Thanks for all your help Jesse
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:05:39 am by David Knoff »

Offline Sheela krasnuik

Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:53 am »
Welcome David, its nice to have you here. 
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline Ricky Grewal

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »
Hi there David,
welcome to the site.
Well..... What cha drive?

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »
howdy, welcome ;D
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline David Knoff

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:03:07 am »
Thx guys
My son and I both have eclipse Ming is a 95 gsx and my son has a 97.
We just got the the 97 and need a tranny for it. We just put it on the road and it only got two blocks out of it lol.
So we are looking for a 97 5 speed for an Awd. So far I think we are just going to have to go with an auto seams to be the only thing we can find.

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:47 am »
Welcome sirs!  Another option (not cheap though) is to get yours rebuilt.  If you're in love with the car, plan on keeping it along time and modding it up a fair bit, maybe Street legal drags or autocross, a used replacement manual will probably fail sooner or later anyway.  If you get all the weaknesses of the stock trans addressed, it'll be funner and much stronger .   The lower mainland options are Racing Greed, and Burt's (Kingsway?) and Jack's and Sheptrans in the USA.  Something to consider if you like rowing your own.  ;D
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
Welcome! Another 2g guys ;D ;D ;D.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Rohitash Puri

• My 94 Talon on CarDomain
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »
welcome!
1994 Eagle Talon ES FWD (N/A)
1997 Eclipse Stock FWD Turbo 2.0L
1994 Eagle Talon FWD Turbo 2.0L
1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse (N/A)
ALL WORKING VEHICLES 2 WITH INSURANCE CURRENTLEY

Soon:
1997 Eclipse FWD Turbo or Subaru Impreza WRX

Offline David Knoff

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
Welcome sirs!  Another option (not cheap though) is to get yours rebuilt.  If you're in love with the car, plan on keeping it along time and modding it up a fair bit, maybe Street legal drags or autocross, a used replacement manual will probably fail sooner or later anyway.  If you get all the weaknesses of the stock trans addressed, it'll be funner and much stronger .   The lower mainland options are Racing Greed, and Burt's (Kingsway?) and Jack's and Sheptrans in the USA.  Something to consider if you like rowing your own.  ;D
Ya i think for now we will put in the auto then rebuild the 5speed we dont live on the coast so will just get the parts and get it done.the kid just want to drive it lol

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:18 am »
switching to auto is no small task, and it will be just as expensive as rebuilding the manual. and its a lot more work.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline David Knoff

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:41 am »
switching to auto is no small task, and it will be just as expensive as rebuilding the manual. and its a lot more work.
Well got a auto for 1/4 of the cost with all the parts we need ,starter,flexplate shifter and cable and same work as pulling the 5 seed will be in and going in a day rather then pulling apart and ordering parts and all that, save at least 2/or3 weeks of time. This way order all the parts and rebuild on my time.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
Do you have an auto car to pull all the parts you need from?

OH! forgot to say hello and welcome!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:35:08 am by Marke Bailey »
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline David Knoff

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »

Thx for the welcome !
Ya we got all the auto stuff out of a complet car..
I see on your pic bcdsm fastest auto..... Whats your 1/4 et and speed ?? And what converter you have in it ?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »
welcome!

now, let me tell you as well not to switch to the auto.

your cars main PCM is in communication with the transmission computer.  Your car did not come with the computer for the auto.  your main engine and body wiring harness does not have provision for that either. 

your abs as well may have a tie in to these systems.

On an older car it may be possible(tho still very hard, what with pedals, shifter, cooler lines, mounts, axles, possible steering rack bracketry, possible suspension brackets/fittings), but on anything newer than about 95-96, the OBD2 system includes many feedback items for transmissions too.  At best your car will always have a check engine light.  This will make it so you cannot go thru aircare. Ever. 

you will also possibly have shifting issues, engine driveability issues and other things.

The other thing you HAVE to keep in mind is that the differential in the transmission(actually 2 of them, one front and one center) are most likely different than in the 5spd.  All 3 diffs have to be a matched set(you have a rear one too) or you will QUICKLY ruin the center diff and your car will drive at best, wierdly and most likely sieze up on you while driving down the road.  If it locks up while at hiway speed, you can end up in the ditch or in the path of an oncoming Peterbuilt. Its happened.  There is a recall on both sides of the border for a seal that causes a leak and a locked up center diff for this very reason.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »

Thx for the welcome !
Ya we got all the auto stuff out of a complet car..
I see on your pic bcdsm fastest auto..... Whats your 1/4 et and speed ?? And what converter you have in it ?
11.72@118.0 stock converter
The Sleepy Slushbox.