Author Topic: New to the forum & to DSM  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Brad Niezen

• 1992 Evo I
New to the forum & to DSM
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »
Hey guys just wanted to say hi as I am a newbie to the forum.
I picked up a crashed 1992 EVO I in May & have repaired it with my dad this summer. John Hartman used to work with my dad years ago & suggested that I sign up here as this is a great source of information on these vehicles/engines.

Here my car is in the driveway with my mom's Supercharged 2005 Mini, my dad's V8 Safari van & his weekend ride a 2012 Camaro ZL1 - Supercharged. What is missing from this pic is my Supercharged & tuned 2007 Cobalt SS & my brothers lowered & shaved 1999 S10 (possibly soon to be turbocharged). I think we are an unusual family when it comes to our vehicles.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:00:12 pm by Brad Niezen »
1992 EVO I #373

Bryan Hoytema

Re: New to the forum & to DSM
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »
Welcome to the club,  ! And clean evo!

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »
welcome :)

very nice evo  ;D
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »
As to unusual family not too much, you gotta see mine.

Nice car and welcome to the family. ;D
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Ricky Grewal

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »
Nice ride!
Welcome to the forum.
Just make sure you don't type .com  ;D
Done that a few times, usually @ work or sitting next to someone.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »
Friends with john, doesn't that make you a senior member automatically or give you a million cool points or something?
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »
sweet evo!!  I love the white ones.  Good to see that the evo ended up getting fixed and not parted out/crushed.

That one was for sale on the island months ago right?

nice to see another evo owner on here!  I have a green 92 Evo GSR, but unfortunatly its been parked for a couple years now untill i can get some work completed on it. (which seems will never happen!)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:11:58 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brad Niezen

• 1992 Evo I
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »
Thanks guys
Trying to keep the clean look

Yeah it was on the island three months ago
took awhile to get it to be functional again
A lot of elbow grease

Love Evo's
and DSM's  :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:01:15 am by Brad Niezen »
1992 EVO I #373

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 12:34:59 pm »
Hiya Brad!  Welcome!!

Nice clean early Evo.

You will be impressed with the early 4g63 as you progress for sure.  And you get to start with bigger injectors and turbo too, so you can do more for less!

Is James the owner of the LT1 or is he just borrowing it for the weekend?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brad Niezen

• 1992 Evo I
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:46:40 pm »
Thanks
Ya it has an Evo 4 turbo and "bigger" injectors, I don't know how big.

I'm not sure what to do next
I've heard a boost controller
And I have found on a few random sites that the factory Internal can handle up to 1.2 Bar (17psi)
If someone can confirm this that would be great

Thats one reason why I joined the forum, to hear others opinion and options

It was his weekend car
he drove it around the Agassiz speedway as the trophy car
Is a LSA engine Supercharged 580-hp only 62 in Canada
It was a rather fun weekend car.
That weekend was actually the first weekend that I had the Evo on the road, So the two of us drove around in two completely opposite vehicles
1992 EVO I #373

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »
yes the internals can handle 17 psi, no problem really.  Keep the tune good and use good fuel and you can go more than that.  Many people have gone well over 20 psi on the factory bottom end.  Hell some have gone over 30.  the tune has to be very good at that point and so does the fuel, but they are very strong.  I run 28 psi right now(have gone higher) and thats on a 3076r turbo.

As for the Evo4 turbo, I would like to see how they did that.  The Evo 4-9 all have the engine in backwards to the DSM, GVR4 and Evo1-3.  The turbo wouldn't bolt right up I don't think, as the cold side would be on the other side for the Evo 4 from our cars(and yours)

If your fuel pump is up to it(not sure on the Evo1 pump) then you need a full exhaust system(right from the turbo, not a cat back , but with downpipe), intake system, and injectors, and a boost controller.  You already have the injectors so thats taken care of.

How is the car tuned electronically?  IE, bigger injectors are not going to run well with the stock computer and MAF.  The calibration will be off and the ECU won't know that the injectors are bigger.  Up to a point, in closed loop the thing will take care of itself, but in open loop it will be too rich.

You will need something to datalog the car with.  You need to be able to datalog things like knock, timing, injector pulsewidth, airflow etc.  This way you can turn up the boost and know whats happening. You can't tune a turbo car by ear as by the time you can hear knock, its way too late and will do damage.  the datalogger will show it and you can tune for it.

oh you also need a real boost guage.  Most Mitsu boost guages are just computer estimates based on airflow, throttle position etc.

Get a real one.  I suggest a -30, 0, 30 guage.  If you don't have one, I actually do and you can have it for cheap.  Works great, but I just don't need it anymore.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:11:30 pm »
probably a evo III turbo, as the evo 4 turbos dont bolt right on as the engine is switched around the other way...

but the evo III turbo is a 350 WHP cabable turbo...  probably can run like 28 psi max on it...  the engine in your evo also can support up to 400 WHP as well with some mods...  (mostly good big injectors/exhuast/intake/engine managment*most important* and maybe cams)  the stock FMIC isn't the hugest one around.... but i hear it can support 300-350 WHP no problem.\

oh and john... the evo's dont even have a stock boost gauge....  but they do have a "boost light" haha... its just a green light that turns on once boost reaches a postitive pressure lol.  Evo's are just too fast i guess to be worrying about looking at a boost gauge lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:13:46 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:55 am »
yea thats it...  ;)  :)

Yea my Mazda has no boost gauge or light or anything.  Silly.

Offline Brad Niezen

• 1992 Evo I
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:39:08 am »
TD05H 49178-01450
This is the P# cast into the turbo. The 45 is stamped in the sequence.

As for the boost gauge, it is not connected to the ECU, it has a vacuum hose that is connected to the fuel pressure vacuum hose, and it is a factory gauge, all three of them.

As for the injectors, yes it is running too rich as per the AirCare numbers, but it does not have a cat, need to put one in.
I do not believe that the ECU has ever been tuned, and could likely use a tune
The injector numbers
MDL510
INP-019
M
those are the numbers on the injectors...
Yellow top & looks like a black bottom.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:11:46 pm by Brad Niezen »
1992 EVO I #373

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
You have 510cc low impedance injectors.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.