Author Topic: First post, welcome to my problems  (Read 946 times)

Offline Alex Preissl

First post, welcome to my problems
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:08:52 pm »
New to the forum, I have a 1990 Plymouth laser 2.0l dohc I picked up out of a barn that had been sitting for 12 years. Didn't start when I first got it. Cleaned out the bad gas, rebuilt the fuel pump, resealed the gas tank, cleaned the injectors, new fuel filters, blew out the lines. New spark plugs, wires and battery. Went to start it up, no luck. Everything turned on but no crank. Starter, crank position sensor, power transistor, and coil pack all good. Pulled the ecu and all the capacitors were swollen! Got a new ecu off eBay and a new mpi relay as well. Boom fired right up. Went to drive it to work the next day, battery dead. Charged it up next day same thing dead again! Ugh! Checked the alternator and battery leads all good. I now have an electrical short yay! I continued to drive to and from work with it with taking the battery terminal off as it doesn't last 8 hours. While commuting I redid the brakes and upgraded the suspension to Megan racing coil overs and trans axels rated for 400hp. I now have the interior gutted chasing wires trying to find a short. I've looped in a volt meter and watched while pulling fuses and think I got it to the door light switch or the head light doors. I've pulled part the head light system and found no broken wires or signs of shorts. I'm basically out of ideas and hope to keep trying. Any ideas, please help. Thanks for reading my life problems
-Alex

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: First post, welcome to my problems
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:44:16 pm »
Yeah your on the right track.  Do u have a good wiring diagram of the effected circuit that has excessive draw?  It will show what components are on that circuit so you can narrow it down.   I have seen alternators cause draws a few times.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.