Author Topic: Cylinder #2 Issue  (Read 447 times)

Offline Greg Durban

Cylinder #2 Issue
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:39:17 pm »
So I was idling my car earlier today after a little rip, and when I got back in it it had a bog to it. So I pulled the plug wires one at a time until I hit number 2 and it never made a difference in the idle. Swapped over some new NGK's from the other car and did a compression test (150 across the board) but hasn't seemed to help. Lookin for any suggestions to check out as this will be my DD for awhile.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline John Hartman

Re: Cylinder #2 Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »
swap a plug itself, also clean out/inspect the coil tower for that wire.  Make sure all the wires are properly pushed on at both the plug and coil ends, and that there is no corrosion/water in either end.

Also, check the injector harness for that cylinder.  Well, that is if you pull the plug and its dry.  If its wet with fuel then you know its firing  :)  Pull the injector wiring harness off the injector and look for corrosion, water, damage.

I think(I have never done this but it should work), being that our ignition system is wasted spark, you should be able to find out if the coil pack has one dead tower by swapping to the companion cylinder of #2 and see if the misfire follows that tower.

for a simple one cylinder misfire, its fairly easy as you have to have fuel, spark and compression.  You have compresion, now you just have to check for fuel and spark.

It almost can't be the ECU, CAS, transistor pack with this because those don't do one hole only.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:23:26 pm »
Me and a buddy checked the injectors with a stethoscope and discovered one of them didnt seem to be clicking nearly as loud as the others so i'm starting to point towards either a clogged or faulty injector. I will check the harness for corrosion as you suggested and post my findings later.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »
So we checked the harness and connections and didn't find any signs of any corrosion or damage. Swapped out the suspect injector with no result. Did discover however if I pull off the number 3 cylinder wire the engine idle slows down a few hundred rpm's but when I rev the engine it does the same thing as before. I have checked both of the wires and plugs for spark though and it's there. The only strange thing is that when I test each injector with my logger the engine reacts to it except for number 2.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:12:10 pm by Greg Durban »
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:45:35 pm »
what if you put the number 2 injector in another cylinder?

Test it with the logger and pull a plug wire off.  Does it now show the problem on the other cylinder and number 2 is fine?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:28 am »
Pulled the ECU last night and opened it up. Checked it over and we found a few burnt connections. Gonna try a good one today at some point hopefully and possibly switch the intake since it's a cyclone.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:35:09 pm »
Issue resolved. Had Mr. Mac come over today and help me switch the pins for the ECU. Plugged in a good one and she runs much better.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52:28 pm »
nice nice.