Author Topic: 3 day mission report  (Read 1069 times)

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:57:09 pm »
3 consec lapping days on track (a record I may never reiterate, let alone break) and the talon is still shiny =).  And it rained each day at mission, although on easter sun. the track was dry for a while.  Ironically when the track was dry, sccbc instructors noticed that many students were getting sloppy and going offline.  

I think it was dry when a brand new red Volvo s40 t5 awd scraped its entire right side along the concrete wall exiting turn 2 (sweeper).  Driver had taken the sccbc course before but made an error.  One person said he looked to the right at the trees or something (hands follow the eyes).  I talked to the guy (in a quick 2nd gen rx7 race car) who was right behind the Volvo when it crashed; he said he’d been tailing it for 4 laps but Volvo wouldn’t give a point to pass. So perhaps Volvo ego was partly to blame.

sccbc’s race school was even better than when I took it last march:  it wasn’t sold out so I got a dedicated instructor and better track spacing.  He said I was “ok” sat morning but that I became an “excellent” student.  But what I was most happy about was that heel/toe finally clicked for me sat afternoon, after a year of trying to maintain brake pressure when blipping (yeah I was really slow there).  I think the key was that instead of thinking about blipping, I thought about braking.  My instructor helped trigger this change in focus when he told me I was unnecessarily trying to be a “late downshifter”.  So when I downshifted earlier, I still had to keep braking, so the goal in my head changed from downshifting to braking and my foot automatically did the right thing.  From that day on I could do a smooth downshift w/ regularity.  

No more downshift anxiety, but on sun afternoon I looked at my front pads thru the rims but couldn’t see any pad material.  Uh oh, I guess 1 day on island mtn twisties and 1.5 days at mission killed them.  Granted, they were cheapo raybestos organic pads, the only ones at lordco at 10pm 3 wks ago when I found out my last pir track day killed the prior Porterfield r4s pads (those lasted 1 day at pr and 2 days at pir).  So I went to cdn tire 2 blocks from mission; the parts girl gave me the box but I opened it and said the pads are too small.  Oops, they don’t have any in stock.  Luckily lordco is a block away so I headed there.  I opened another box, this time “higher end” ceramic pads.  They were bigger so I paid and returned to the track paddock.  Jacked the car, took out pads from a front side, then noticed I bought pads that are still too small dang it!  my coworker/student was a pal and drove me to lordco to do the swap.  At least they waived the higher cost of the proper sized pads =).  I installed them and continued lapping w/o missing a session weeeee!  Btw, the p5 gobbled up only 1 set of pads after maybe 8 track days!  KE= ½ mv^2 so the difference must be the talon’s xtra 400 lbs and ~100hp.

On mon it was the “inside line” school taught by morrisport.  I think it was the first road course event I’ve attended in which the majority of entrants was asian.  I recall lots of integras (mostly itr’s incl 296whp turbo) and ae86’s, some m3’s, 240’s, porsches, 1 esprit and of course civics and crx’s.  there were 4 run groups, so not as much track time as sccbc’s school, which has more instructors (since they’re veteran racers who volunteer) so larger run groups are possible.  That day the “short” track was used; it’s a bit safer since it skips the chicane and turns 1 and 2.  another change of pace for me was “buddy lapping” which I’d never done before at any track school.  It was really fun since I got paired up w/ a fast, well driven integra rs race car (dsp autocrosser from kelowna who’d run inside line before).  He told me it weighed 2120 lbs; no wonder it booked on the straight!  We basically took turns following the leader, which was always the car w/ the instructor riding shotgun.  In the wet I think his better yoko race tires and my awd traction evened things out for the most part in the corners.  In the last session I was pushing it and had to countersteer a bit 3 times to get the back end in line.  Gotta watch myself next time.

Other notes:
-there’s new “super pavement” in turns 7,8,9 to replace the rough, beaten parts.  It’s very grippy in the wet such that the car will push/slide but then suddenly catch in the middle of 7.
-since it was rainy I opted to run on skinny 205/55/16 kumho 711 street tires; they handled well enough
-awd helped put the power down in the wet but I still had to temper my right foot =)
-there was a white ford cosworth sierra rs (looks like merkur x4ti) but due to mech/elec issues it only ran part of sat.; owner said it’s stock, 300whp and he brought it in via the 15 yr rule
-I think I’ll order some carbotech race pads; heard they’re good
stx 95 talon awd, stu 95 m3

Offline Mike Schmid

3 day mission report
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 12:41:16 am »
Wow, you sure get to alot of lapping events.  One day I'll give that a try.  I love reading your raceday reviews, keep it up   :D
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
3 day mission report
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:51:35 am »
How did you like the R4S's?  Or are you just trying everything out they make?  How much is mission charging for their track days? My friend used to do it for ~$150 a day, but I know nothing about their track.

And like Mike said, keep up the stories  8) .
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 09:22:53 am »
thanks guys, glad u like the field reports.

my brake pad exp:
1 set hawk hps on stock mazda protege5: better bite and cheaper than oem but fit was poor (backing plate warped a bit after 1 track day)

1 set porterfield r4s on talon: good pads, worked well enough in 3 track days

1 set raybestos organic: only lordco choice at the time; bad for the track

I want a better track pad that’s still streetable so plan on trying carbotech panther xp8.  Porterfield r4 or r4e costs about the same; i might try those if xp8 doesn't impress me.

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:27:21 pm »
Forgot to mention:

-inside line sponsor Pirelli gave away a set of tires! (the only female student won hmmm….)

-on day 2 when sccbc trained/allowed us to pass in 3 corners, there was a wrx wagon that didn’t let up when he points for a pass, so it takes me longer to get up beside him to setup for a pass in the corner.  Once on the short straight betw turns 2 & 3, he gave a somewhat late point but I figured it was still safe to pass.  No problem except that there was a really slow car in front of us that barely cleared turn 3 by the time I got there (wrx didn’t have the issue since he’s on the right and turn 3 is a sharp left).  An instructor mentioned at the post session driver mtg that a tbone incident wasn’t too far off.  Car # of the would-be tbone victim was mentioned and no warnings given except that drivers need to be really aware of cars behind them =).

-I followed this honda element in the wet; it didn’t go slow, surprisingly!

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:08:47 pm »
cost wise, a mission track day will be likely $225-$275 depending on who hosts it.  

if u have $450 and a helmet, i say sccbc's 3 day school (2 on track) wins hands down.  more seat time & instructors and cheaper; that's why i went twice.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
3 day mission report
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:03:12 pm »
Seen this picture An?  8)

url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline KevinBuckham

3 day mission report
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 10:08:04 pm »
Great writeup!  Keep these reports coming. :)

I almost cried however when I saw the picture after reading your story.  I want to get back onto the track so bad it almost hurts.  I'm almost considering selling the Talon with no motor and finding some other track car.

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 08:58:14 am »
didn't see any pics from the wkend; where was that from?  thanks!

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:25:23 am »
More tidbits:
-I changed the left front rotor last night; it looks pretty bad w/ huge grooves throughout the braking surface on both sides.  Is that “warped” or something else?  Anyway it’s a powerslot rotor but I replaced it w/ a good ol solid disc.

-on mon, I was chatting w/ my lapping partner sean zacharias (sp?).  We were about 20’ from terry’s car when 3 guys walked over and asked what the event was.  I said it’s “the inside line” track day run by morrisport.  The group spokesman asked who they could talk to about signing up, so I pointed to the group of 6 or so ppl standing around terry’s car and said terry’s the guy in the black cap and black jacket.  Spokesman asked “you mean the Chinese guy?”  there was more than one asian guy in the group but I just said yeah.  They walked off and I said to sean “I think terry happens to be Chinese” and sean replied “well we ARE in mission”.

Danny Bouliane

3 day mission report
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 08:57:32 pm »
hey, nice you got to race with shawn... he's the autocross master from kelowna here!

Offline David Sutton

3 day mission report
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 10:14:17 pm »
Yea, I was going to say, I've hung out with Sean on a few occasions when he came down to Penticton. Nice guy. :)

Last I heard he was using a 14b to turbo his rs for fun, don't know how far that's gotten, or if it's been scrapped.
uote:
------------------------
Originally posted by Booboo*Fei
quotesomething like 127whp @ 19lbs of boostquote
he say it is 127whp exactly so who foolish now?
maybe read proper english he so clear it said there
------------------------

Offline an nguyen

3 day mission report
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 08:57:45 am »
no turbo on shawn's car that day but it's still at least as fast or faster than my car on the mission straight.