Author Topic: BMW Club Trackday/Driving Course  (Read 1770 times)

Offline CamWeiss

BMW Club Trackday/Driving Course
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:19:11 am »
Held on the 21st of June...
I figure I got 80+ minutes of track time in a single day - Unheard of for us autocrossers.

It was held by the BMW Club of Vancouver Island, so I was, for the most part, surrounded by Bimmers. There was one other DSM'er (Chuck, who's on these forums once in a while) present as well. There was some instruction at the start of the day, followed by four different iterations of the available track at Western Speedway here in Victoria.

I had the bright idea to tape my digital camera to the passenger headrest. I'm guessing we don't allow embedded video, so here's some YouTube links.

1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=iZpX8PaaD_I
2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZN9JyZyLBt4
3 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=vm49uMzlv1A

I had started the day on my balding, dead all-seasons. I took delivery of my second set of wheels/tires from the shop at about 10:30 AM, swapped them onto the car, and proceeded to blow myself away with the level of grip available from my new Falken Azenis RT615's. Having never owned a set of sticky tires like these, I wasn't quite sure what to expect - And I'm dually impressed with the difference they make. They're also a big bigger tire than the old ones, at 225/50-16 (Instead of the stock 205/55's).

The brakes held up surprisingly well - There was minimal fade through the day with the fluid staying un-boiled. I think I managed to glaze the front pads, though. I also now need to have the rotors turned, as the general lack of cool down laps meant that I was baking the rotors under the calipers (thus exaggerating the slightly warped condition they were in previously) after I'd gotten into the pits.

Overall, it was money well-spent. I'd definitely reccomend a high-performance driving course to anyone who enjoys thoroughly abusing their vehicles.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
Re: BMW Club Trackday/Driving Course
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:22 am »
Nice!  Something I would love to try out one day, were you allowed to pass during this session?
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:00:49 pm »
Very nice, I'm hoping to find a track day on the mainland this season.
Regarding the RT615s; I just put on a set of rt215s which are the older ones (predecessor) and I love them. I had heard the 615s were more DD oriented so I was worried when I replaced them if I couldn't find more rt215s i'd be going back a step grip wise so it's good to hear you sing their praises.  Just curious, are these track only rubber? If not how are they on the street? The 215's are terrible in the rain, I've heard those are better.   

What is your brake setup? (Fluid in particular?) I've had serious fade problems and I haven't even run autox on this car yet, just issues with prolonged downhill braking.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:21 am »
Very nice!  Almost makes me want to get my Talon off the jack stands.   Did this track day require any "class time", or was it just arrive and drive?

I love the VMSC driver training, but having taken the course 5 or 6 times, it gets a bit old.  And it looks like I can't run the Solo sprint without a roll bar (or switch to street tires).

What are you running for rotors and pads? I was just KILLING my stock 2G rotors and even aggressive race pads coming into that hairpin.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:47:03 pm »
Nice!  Something I would love to try out one day, were you allowed to pass during this session?

Due to insurance (and therefore cost) issues, there was no passing allowed. The insurance costs and safety requirements rise extensively if you're going to be passing.

Very nice, I'm hoping to find a track day on the mainland this season.
Regarding the RT615s; I just put on a set of rt215s which are the older ones (predecessor) and I love them. I had heard the 615s were more DD oriented so I was worried when I replaced them if I couldn't find more rt215s i'd be going back a step grip wise so it's good to hear you sing their praises.  Just curious, are these track only rubber? If not how are they on the street? The 215's are terrible in the rain, I've heard those are better.  

What is your brake setup? (Fluid in particular?) I've had serious fade problems and I haven't even run autox on this car yet, just issues with prolonged downhill braking.

I only put these tires on that morning, and it hasn't rained since - They seem to be okay, though. I don't intend to use them on the street for long. I'm waiting a couple paycheques until I can get new tires for the street as well (Old all seasons on swirly wheels are down to the wear bars, and have no outer shoulders left on the fronts). There's no excessive noise, and they ride nicely. I don't think they tire shop balanced them properly, though - I'll have to take them in when I can.

I'm running essentially stock brakes - I've got Brembo slotted rotors up front, and Satisfied GS6 pads. I'm using Motul RBF600 fluid, which stood up very well against the heat of lapping. In the year I've been running the fluid, I've never boiled it. I managed to glaze the pads from heat, and screw up the rotors but the fluid was fine. I think I'll be switching up to Satisfied GS5 pads - It'll give me another 150 or so degrees to play with. (Although I do end up bleeding a bit of fluid, enough to re-fill the calipers, every month or two).

Very nice!  Almost makes me want to get my Talon off the jack stands.   Did this track day require any "class time", or was it just arrive and drive?

I love the VMSC driver training, but having taken the course 5 or 6 times, it gets a bit old.  And it looks like I can't run the Solo sprint without a roll bar (or switch to street tires).

What are you running for rotors and pads? I was just KILLING my stock 2G rotors and even aggressive race pads coming into that hairpin.

This was solely arrive and drive. There were a couple slalom and braking excercises at the start, but no classroom time.

The solo sprint: While I'd love to run it, it's too much money for me to justify. It'd end up being around thirty dollars a minute for me for track time at the event. I decided to run this instead of the Solosprint, with the possiblity of renting the track for a couple hours between a few friends at some point for some cheap fun.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:54:35 pm by CamWeiss »

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:09:32 am »
This was solely arrive and drive. There were a couple slalom and braking excercises at the start, but no classroom time.

The solo sprint: While I'd love to run it, it's too much money for me to justify. It'd end up being around thirty dollars a minute for me for track time at the event. I decided to run this instead of the Solosprint, with the possiblity of renting the track for a couple hours between a few friends at some point for some cheap fun.

Sounds great!  Yeah the solosprint isn't exactly the cheapest track time, but neither are autoxes. ;)

If you go down the path of renting the track, the big problem is track insurance which you will require.  This insurance doesn't cover you, your cars or anyone else at the track, it covers the track itself.  Unfortunately it is more expensive than the track rental.  :(   But if you do decide to rent the track, let me know. :)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:01:27 am »

One of the better photos I got from that day. There was a professional photographer out as well, and he got some spectacular shots of my car - The catch being that he wants about fifty bucks to release the full-size ones to me.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Yas Jandric

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:37:35 pm »
I was suppose to be there too :(
Unfortunately I received a shitload of wrong parts for my car so it didn't work out. Couldn't get the car done in time.
There is always a next time.

patrickWoo

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:05:55 pm »
When is the earliest track day in the NW? This winter sucks.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:56:15 pm »
I'm not sure when you Vancouverites will have track time available. Check the VCMC forum, perhaps.

We've got one sole autocross in January, and one in February here in Vic. No known trackdays until VMSC Driver Training, and that'll probably be in April.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:21 pm »
Cam what kinda wheels are those on your car??? look like FRD or 3G eclipse but different
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »
They're off of an Acura CSX. Warranty returns for cosmetic issues - I had to get the centres enlarged to fit over the hubs, and I stripped them before bringing the spoke faces to a polish. They may receive some black paint on the non-polished bits over the winter.

(Definitely unique to the car in that you won't find another DSM with those wheels).

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:43 am »
Looks good Cam. I like the uniqueness
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »
Nice vids!! Looks like a blast!

What mods are done to the car if any?  14b turbo? strock boost?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »
Stock, all the way down to the air filter. 14b.

I haven't done much in the way of other modifications - Bigger rear sway bar & poly bushings, the wheels shod w/ Azenis, ACT 2100, and 'big' brakes (Though I did that a couple months after this trackday).

I've got a long list of things I'd like to do, but a very small budget to do it with.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV