Author Topic: Yet another improvment at the track for the Ugly Purple 4g63 Colt, MINI VAN..omg  (Read 2365 times)

Offline John Hartman

yes there are TONS of them out there, cheap, cheap cheap.  non interference, and plus they have a slight edge in displacement.  Also, simple speed density.

No, not as good, for sure, the 6bolt 4g63 is, imho one of the greatest "real" engines ever created, but the two two turbo Dodge is a great one too.

The rest of the car its in is usually no where near as good however.  80s domestic cheap car.  And no awd.  and 80s domestic suspension and brakes.  booooo.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Mann

yes there are TONS of them out there, cheap, cheap cheap.  non interference, and plus they have a slight edge in displacement.  Also, simple speed density.

No, not as good, for sure, the 6bolt 4g63 is, imho one of the greatest "real" engines ever created, but the two two turbo Dodge is a great one too.

The rest of the car its in is usually no where near as good however.  80s domestic cheap car.  And no awd.  and 80s domestic suspension and brakes.  booooo.

I would definitely agree on that decent motor, not so good suspension and brakes
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Richard Steger

Not sure if it put them in same handling, braking league as DSM's but Shelby put his name on a few Chrysler FWD's in mid to late 80's, like Daytona, Charger, Shadow, Lancer, Omni.  I'm fairly sure his name meant they had upgraded brakes and suspension from plain models. 
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Matt Mann

Not sure if it put them in same handling, braking league as DSM's but Shelby put his name on a few Chrysler FWD's in mid to late 80's, like Daytona, Charger, Shadow, Lancer, Omni.  I'm fairly sure his name meant they had upgraded brakes and suspension from plain models. 

They did they also had the A-555 trans which is stronger than the non-shelby models
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

yes the Shelby cars were better for sure, but they were still based on either the Omni or the K car line.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Matt Mann

I would like to see a race between an Omni GLH and an Talon. I think that would a pretty even match considering the weight of the omni and talon AWD...hmmm

The Omni has a place in heart; it was my first car, I lowered mine, put some cams in it, and the glass pack muffler sooo loud too which was a head turner back in the day.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

Yes I like those old cars too, I'd love to have a 87 Charger with a  real shelby forged Turbo2 engine and a triple 5 tranny.

But, mod $ for mod $ the DSM will win.  And its not about just drag race.  The awd and much more sophisticated suspension will win in autox(mod for mod $$ again), road course, hill climb and rally.

The dodge will definately win for timing belt change times and ease to do it, and head gasket tho  :)

Offline Matt Mann

True enough John  ;D true enough

I hated to HG on those, the 2.2 were notorious for leaks..one thing I don't miss
I'd like the a non-interference motor though.lol
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

yea there is a guy that I work with who has been doing mechanic work for several years and he says that he can do a 2.2 non turbo car head gasket in around an hour, give or take.  I believe it because my first one that I ever did took me about 3.5 and I also did the timing belt and crank seal, so I had to take that whole area apart too.