Author Topic: DSM vs police vs the DSM curse  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Re: DSM vs police vs the DSM curse
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 11:07:07 pm »
hey, whats wrong with carbs?

Nothing.  Just that when talking about upper echelon racing series and technology NASCAR doesn't really make the radar, except in jest, because they're still using the same old tech formula they used since the very beginning when our parents were little kids. 

That said, I'm sure the use the very latest technology in research and development and they must with the awesome performance they can extract from that low tech carb'd pushrod formula. 

My next car will likely have a carb, or two or three...  I think carbs are actually a lot more intriguing and interesting than EFI.  To provide a motor with just the right amount of fuel at idle, part throttle, WOT, tip in, different engine and air temperatures and every other situation and variable a car sees using only simple mechanical valves and orfices and the like is really spectacular.  To just view a bunch of input values, consult a table and lookup the appropriate signal time to output seems so simple and inelegant by comparison. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 09:39:32 am »
I have to agree with Mike on this one too. I see lots of turbocharged natural gas powered engines run under full load with no intercooler 24 hours a day 7 days a week. These are anything from I-6's to huge V-16's with twin turbos. Sometimes when a site ESD's (emergency shutdown) the unit will go down hard, backfire and blow a turbo, but other than that they are reliable. Reliable enough to rely on six individual units with one to two turbos to run an entire gas plant. 
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 02:36:12 pm »
TURBO FTW AHAHHA

anyways one time i raced some dude on the "race track" between kelowna and merritt when i first got my 4g63 swap done.  I pushed it WOT for a good 10 minutes strait going 230 - 250 km/h and beat his ass pretty good.  Sure i let off a couple times for a couple seconds to let him catch up.... and i was running 100 % stock at that point (9-10psi, stock SMIC, stock rad.  The car never overheated, and ran perfect.  This is still the engine i run in my colt 3 years later and it still runs just as good.  I have pushed it WOT up the big hill on the coq a couple times as well..  Thats one of the longest steepest grades around this area and again the engine help up fine.  I have also put down countless 1/4 mile runs as well but as you said thats only running WOT for 13-14 seconds at a time, so that doesnt cound.

I also agree with mike,  If  a gas engine is built for it, there is no reason why it cant handle WOT for extended periods of time.  As long as the intercooler, and cooling system can keep the engine cool enough it should be able to hold up and not detonate.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

patrickWoo

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 02:51:29 pm »
Well if you want to find an engine that will stay WOT for 20.....HOURS look no further than marine engines.

many smaller engines on smaller boats are ran WOT for 20 hours and they suffer from nothing, like someone who has mentioned, if you can take the heat away as quickly as the heat is made, you have a stable environment to keep the engine going. Granted marine engines are basically cooled by ice cold water that is fed through the hull, taken energy and dumped back out so you basically can't overheat it..... but the principle is the same. If you have a cooling system that pulls out just as much heat as you are making you will be fine. Le Mans race cars can do 24hours with a lot of WOT, but they can only do it because when they WOT they get immense speed and the air going into the cooling system AND the engine intake charge takes out a lot of heat from the motor....

WOT at a very high speed is ok, therefore, for turbo cars. You can take a 997 turbo up to 200mph like what Jeremy Clarkson did, it'll do it but you have to WOT for quite a bit.... the car can maintain speed at WOT for quite a long distance on the autobahn if there's enough cold charge cooling it too.

WOT in lower gears where less wind is going to hit the cooling system is definitely a lot harder to the engine systems than WOT at 6th all the way to top speed where it'll get a lot of cooling.

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 04:30:25 pm »
sti's and evo's go all out for hours at a time in rally racing? thats some of the hardest driving conditions out there and the cars usually only fuck up due to driver error lol
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 03:17:15 am »
I dont think you can have any motor on WOT for 20 hrs. boats dont go WOT for that long not even an hour. you will run out of gas......

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:54 pm »
Marine engines are different than automotive engines in only a few ways, generally they use the same automotive blocks, the difference is mostly in the bearings (and spark arresters in the starter and alternator).  The tolerances in marine are much smaller, and like Patrick said, they are cooling the engine with coolant that is usually below ambient air temperatures. 

Marine engines are blueprinted and designed to run WOT for hours under heavy load.

1991 Talon TSi AWD 5 speed
2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
2000 Suzuki DR650SE custom supermoto

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 02:28:45 am »
I'll correct you on that a little bit, Brad - Marine gas engines are similar to automotive engines. They are better built, undoubtedly, than ordinary automotive engines. However, they weren't specifically designed to run under constant high loads. Thus, you see the majority of marine gas engines lasting between 1,500 and 3,000 hours (Depending on engine design and running conditions).

Marine diesel engines, however are specifically designed to run under heavy loads and high boost when applicable. Bigger and heavier parts, better alloys, and improved cooling are what allows these motors to run at 100% for tens of thousands of hours without fault. It's also why they cost so much.

Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:48 am »
When building a engine for marine use, the engine should be built for torque rather than power. After all, its going uphill all its life....
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:18 pm »
92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

patrickWoo

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 02:49:44 am »
yeah most race engines are stress tested to run at heavy load and WOT for 24 hours or more before actually making massive copies of the same thing.

So it is definitely possible. Just are you going to fork out enough money to build it? Like you can build a Formula Atlantic 4AG and make 250bhp or swap an F20C and make 250bhp....What are you going to do?