Author Topic: DSM vs Civic  (Read 7474 times)

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
Re: DSM vs Civic
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2009, 02:51:41 pm »
I'd rock a Del Sol if that was the $$ range I was shopping in
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2009, 03:23:55 pm »
I'd rock a Del Sol if that was the $$ range I was shopping in

Whya Del Sol, Is used to like them as well (years ago when Grand Turismo was out) then I realized they are girly.lol I'd rather rock the 1988 Dodge Omni GLH..seriously
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2009, 05:32:54 pm »
now, that said, I can't say Hondas suck, but just not for a real performance machine unless its specific to one thing.  Or you have boat loads of money.  But then, I would buy something else too.

I would drive an Integra Type R, and the newer Civic Si, and probably an RSX Type S.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 09:08:03 pm »
NSX
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
now, that said, I can't say Hondas suck
You dont have too  8) its been ecoing
civics still* suck?..... let me check..... YEP still SUCK
eco in here?

NSX
ahahahhaha pllllllleeeeeaaaassssseeee!
or you could have 3 dsms. an evo for winter, a 2G for fall and a 1Ga for the track in summer.......  ::)

No matter how you argue it, honda Vs DSM. honda looses their pricey their slow they cost more to get running low track times etc. Its just the honest truth. smoking kills so dose drinking. people still do it. civics suck people still drive them. Figger it out!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:26:12 pm by Zach Holt »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:05 pm »
hehe, Zach, I believe you are right.  3 DSM's AND an Evo, a 2g and a track car.  Plus a GVR4 and a Colt with a 4g63 swap.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2009, 07:36:37 am »
If you're going to make a statement like that you have to compare apples to apples.

Stock Honda vs Stock DSM = ?
Stock Honda + $5,000 in mods vs Stock DSM +$5,000 in mods = ?

Yes, there are a lot of very nicely build honda's and they CAN go very fast, both in drag and auto-x, but it doesn't mean that they're faster than a comparable DSM's. Yes a 10.50 honda is as fast as a 10.50 DSM, but how much money and effort did it take to get there? Both gorgeous cars and fast as hell at 10.50, but one has come a further than the other.

The best platform of a DSM is a better platform to build off imo. You put 5K in mods into a talon vs 5K in mods into a honda, i'm betting the DSM will win every time.

I had a honda, i loved my supercharged S2000, it was a rocket and incredibly fun to drive. Bottom line is that to buy the car and put a charger on it and tune it it was probably about 30K (new-ish), when it was done 4 or 5 years ago.

I think it was more money than that, plus that S2K ate up an Exedy hyper single clutch (replaced with ACT), rear end broke ($1500 for a used one I think), crappy Honda valve retainers cracked which dropped a valve into the motor $$.  Later on the transmission broke...  and that car made a best of 364whp on a Dynojet.
92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

patrickWoo

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2009, 07:52:19 am »
Hondas are not about horsepower, a sporty honda is about making absolutely epic use of every pony it makes. It's not for going down the strip you silly people, Hondas will go down the quartermile like 3 seconds behind your DSM and still whoop your ass when going around a track that has any right turns at all.

That's what Honda is about. Drag racing a civic is like taking the smallest engine out there trying to make it fast, of course it's expensive to make it go fast in the straight, but with whatever horsepower it packs it can take on turns and twists like no other in its class. That's why it's so fun to drive. Sure you floor the crap out of it you'll still be beaten by that prius taxi in the next lane but that DSM that you left in the dust in the cloverleaf onramp is just oh so satisfying.

Just pick up a lowly EG Civic CX DX or whatever and take a long sweeping bend using 175 width tires that came with it, you will be surprised how far that thing holds on before the front lets go. It's balanced it's poised it does not roll and push like a DSM from factory asking for trouble.

for something stock or relatively stock I think Honda has game, for potential you can't beat DSM. For consumers, though, a Honda always come back with a solid resale value whereas DSM.....not so much, just because it bears the wrong badge. So with most people out there being (uneducated) consumers, more likely than not you'll hear people laughing at DSMs than at Hondas.

So build your 400HP game and shut them up, but until then, don't mock on 100HP hondas, they are just so fun to drive.

Same could be said about Miatas who is going to expect that 88WHP dingy open top girly thing is going to take you up on a road course? I've seen it embarrass cars 3x as much horsepower and then some. It's not the figures when it comes to nimble little cars like Miatas and Civics.

Now take a Colt out there with 100HP and beat some Civics, then you can poke fun at them. Stop comparing your 2L turbo class vehicle to those 1.6L boy racers, there isn't much to compare about. You should be beating up SRT4s if you want to compare apples to apples.

It's like EVO owners proudly announcing that they have beaten a Civic  :-\, I'm embarrassed just to hear that discussion.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:55 am »
If you're going to make a statement like that you have to compare apples to apples.

Stock Honda vs Stock DSM = ?
Stock Honda + $5,000 in mods vs Stock DSM +$5,000 in mods = ?

Yes, there are a lot of very nicely build honda's and they CAN go very fast, both in drag and auto-x, but it doesn't mean that they're faster than a comparable DSM's. Yes a 10.50 honda is as fast as a 10.50 DSM, but how much money and effort did it take to get there? Both gorgeous cars and fast as hell at 10.50, but one has come a further than the other.

The best platform of a DSM is a better platform to build off imo. You put 5K in mods into a talon vs 5K in mods into a honda, i'm betting the DSM will win every time.

I had a honda, i loved my supercharged S2000, it was a rocket and incredibly fun to drive. Bottom line is that to buy the car and put a charger on it and tune it it was probably about 30K (new-ish), when it was done 4 or 5 years ago.

I think it was more money than that, plus that S2K ate up an Exedy hyper single clutch (replaced with ACT), rear end broke ($1500 for a used one I think), crappy Honda valve retainers cracked which dropped a valve into the motor $$.  Later on the transmission broke...  and that car made a best of 364whp on a Dynojet.

Pretty sure that's cause Jason beat the crap out of that car. That thing never gave me a single problem. Either way it was still a fun car to drive.