Author Topic: Thinking about Autocross  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Kevin Altoe

Thinking about Autocross
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »
So lately I have been thinking a lot about trying to get into road racing with all these announcements of new tracks being built in BC.  I thought the best way of getting into shape would be to try out autocross.  I know there are a few members that autocross, mostly 1g's from what I can see.  Anyone autocross there 2g?  Looking for pointers in regards to setting up my car or maybe someone who can show me the ropes. 

Anyone taken the VCMC velocity driving school?
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Bryan Hoytema

Re: Thinking about Autocross
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:24:29 pm »
one of my friends went through the SCCBC racing schools , its about 600$ for a weekend in the classroom and on the track ,

http://www.sccbc.net/

here is a link !

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:08:14 am »
I tried auto cross in the scott road skytrain parking lot last year. Jaguar car club put it together. I heard about it through Benji. It was a lot of fun in my torque monster talon. Im not sure if large turbo drag cars would enjoy it the same. BCDSM meet?
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »
I'm down!😁😁😁
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Kevin Altoe

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »
Maybe organize it for sometime in May?  Does that work for everyone?
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:05 pm »
Im not sure if large turbo drag cars would enjoy it the same. BCDSM meet?

I always wanted to get the Anti-lag programmed and experience what a large turbo that is permanently spooled up feels like.  It is hard on the exhaust side (and drivetrain!) but it would be fun to do once for a Youtube video.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 01:38:26 am »
Im not sure if large turbo drag cars would enjoy it the same. BCDSM meet?

but it would be fun to do once for a Youtube video.

or twice
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:51:25 pm »
I've autoxed my 2G since about 2002.  Took a few years break.

My advice: Take the Velocity Driving school, and read: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

I haven't personally had the chance to attend Velocity (darn Island and all that), but everyone I know has given it great reviews.  And when you think you're quick, let Cam Weiss drive your car. ;)

Offline Kevin Altoe

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 08:08:00 pm »
I've autoxed my 2G since about 2002.  Took a few years break.

My advice: Take the Velocity Driving school, and read: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

I haven't personally had the chance to attend Velocity (darn Island and all that), but everyone I know has given it great reviews.  And when you think you're quick, let Cam Weiss drive your car. ;)

Thanks for the advice!

I had a good read through Dennis Grants autocross build.  Lots of great information on the site.  Pretty cool that he is from Quesnel. 
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Bennji Favelle

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:32 am »
Yeah I did the Scott Road AutoX Course with JCNA (Jaguar Club of North America) 2 years ago. I was running my 2G AWD. I did Auto X for 2 seasons prior with a Cavalier. With my 2G I won First Place Trophy for the season finals in the Lightly Modified category. I also took a few of my friends cars through the course and got the best times their cars have ever seen. ;)

I like UBCSCC and VCMC, but I find their courses are harder to navigate, and you don't get as much seat time. JCNA uses a small simple course, that makes sense. 3 laps on a short track. Shalom, Figure 8, then Oval. Warm up your Tires, push your suspension, then hot lap. It is a great starter course, or intro to AutoX. And you usually get about 20 runs (vs the 6-9 you get at VCMC or UBCSCC).

Last I heard JCNA was running out in Maple Ridge . . . but since taking my 2G off the road last March, and with opening my shop last March as well, I haven't been back . . . might make it out to Troll in my beater. See how many Hondas I can beat with a 96 4 door Automatic Cavalier.
LoL