Author Topic: 1g DIY rear camber fix  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Wade Carlson

1g DIY rear camber fix
« on: March 06, 2005, 06:52:12 pm »
After installing the new coilovers on my 1g i had some pretty bad negative rear camber. Jovan brought it to my attention that there is a fairly easy and free fix for this
All of the pics are of the passenger side and are taken from the rear of the car
1. Jack up the rear of the car and remove the wheels and take a look at the rear suspension you should see something like this.

2.remove the bolt circled in red from the first picture  and move the arm up and out of the way (I tied it off to keep it from getting in the way) I used a jack to take some of the pressure off the bolt to make it easier to get out

3. now all you need to do is take a die grinder and cut back the holes  (shown in red)  depending on how much your camber is off you may have to cut them back a fair bit, but be careful not to go too far I didn't cut out enough on the first try so i had to redo it, also try and keep ur cut straight and level

here is how much i cut out on the first go (note it wasn't enough to fix my camber completely but it did help)

sorry the pic is a little out of focus but you get the idea
5. reassemble everything and you're all set

PS do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damage you may inflict on your car or yourself blah blah blah
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 07:29:19 pm »
6 mm inward should suffice, but like Wade said, it may be best to do a little first and see the difference
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Trevor Engelsmeier

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:31:20 am »
if i cut the holes, say 6mm so the camber is good (by eye) then could a shop do the wheel alignment, and adjust from where they normally would?  Becuase i just got a wheel alignment, and they couldn't quite get it into spec, so i thought if i did this mod, and made it there is just the slightest +camber, then they can use the stock camber adjustment to put back to 0
o more DSM, 1990 JDM MR2 GT - Turbo (T-Top) on the way

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:51:38 am »
Jovan and Wade, don't you both have Tein coilovers with camber plates?  Did you still need to do this with the camber plates?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 08:58:46 am »
Camber plates are up front.  This is for the rear
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Trevor Engelsmeier

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:23:55 am »
anyone have any thoughts, and also, does it matter at what angle you extend the holes.  is ther some sort of a radius that the new hole should follow, or should it be extended straight back
o more DSM, 1990 JDM MR2 GT - Turbo (T-Top) on the way

Offline Wade Carlson

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:00:02 am »
this is how lowell does it and from what jovan has told me he cuts it straight back, which makes the most sense because it would keep the same range of motion for the arm as before
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline Kimyee Lai

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 01:50:59 pm »
You MIGHT even want to put a washer in there and weld the washer down once you've set the camber to what you want.  You don't want the bolt to be moving in the slot...

Offline Jeff Chau

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 07:04:01 pm »
any of you smart guys have any thoughts on that rear camber fix offered by TabooSpeedshop? If I recall, I believe that site said something about pulling in the lower control arm messing up some other alignment aspect. Just curious. I own a FWD anyway.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:31:00 pm »
That taboo speed shop is a simple idea, which apparently is effective, but I am somewhat weary of chopping my a-arm in half at the moment.  I think I'd rather look into the possibility of making whole new ones.  Taboo speed shop has a bunch of interesting fixes, all quite cheap, but all with permanent implications.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jesse Veitch

1g DIY rear camber fix
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 07:39:30 pm »
the cut and weld idea is pretty scary I'd say
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold