Author Topic: 1G DSMlink V2.5(review)  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

1G DSMlink V2.5(review)
« on: December 02, 2005, 12:56:49 pm »
While planning out my future mods for my car I figured my weakest link was the tuning ability that my MAF-t and AFC allowed.  I had reached the point where the stock ecu ignition timing advance was becoming problematic due to the amount of airflow correction needed to tune my 680cc injectors. Lowering the base fuel pressure would only help so much.

The solution, I purchased an socketed eprom and a the new 1G version of DSMlink a short while back. Work has dominated my schedule so I didn't really have a chance at playing with the new setup until earlier this week.

My first impression, this is the ultimate tuning tool for those who dont want to go through the trouble of purchasing an expensive standalone.  As well as the ease of install and user friendly software.  Not to mention, the incredible technical support offered by ECMtuning Inc. on the DSMlink forums.

Of course it has the handy features like the secondary rev limiter, no lift to shift, antilag,etc.  But the features I enjoy most allow me to better tune the car.

The software allows you to use auxilary tuning devices on ecu inputs that are not really needed.  For example, I am logging the 3bar MAP sensor from my AVC-R on the EGR temp input (that otherwise useless connector on the knock sensor harness, used only on CA emission ecu's).  This allows me to properly calibrate my MAF-T using the MAP signal to reference DSMlink's "BoostEST" function. Yes the MAF-T can be set to emmulate a a stock MAF but you would be supprised how inaccurate it is. The reason for calibrating the MAF-T with DSMlink is that you want the ecu to see a true amount of airflow and not a corrected amount.  It's also nice to have the MAP logged just to monitor your boost levels while tuning.

I'm also using the Baro signal as an input for my Uego widband O2. Since the MAF-T doesn't use the Baro or IAT they can be "locked" with DSMlink and used for AUX inputs.

The basic tuning functions of DSMlink are very similar to TMO and Pocketlogger. The only major differences being that your fuel adjustments include setting a "Global" correction on top of the +/-50% slider bars, the ability to adjust injector dead time, and that the fuel trims are no longer scaled from 60%-140% like the stock ecu. The fuel trims are represented like the 2G ecu's where you are tuning for 0% instead of 100%.

I would highly recommend this tuning tool to any DSMer.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

1G DSMlink V2.5(review)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 07:53:30 pm »
I'm a little confused here.  The 1g DSMLink has the ability to run a MAP instead of a MAF?  If so, this was one of the reasons why I wasn't getting it (there are other reasons, but that's not for this thread).
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Scott Girvin

1G DSMlink V2.5(review)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:00 pm »
Unfortunately a MAF air metering system is still needed. DSMlink allows for the use of a MAP sensor for the purpose of correcting airflow signals from hacked MAF's,calibrating MAF-T signals and logging boost.