Author Topic: 3" Back Exhaust from Jamie at Performance Auto  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Trevor Germuth

3" Back Exhaust from Jamie at Performance Auto
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:17:26 pm »
So in all my searching for someone to make me an exhaust for my car for a decent price I finally stumbled upon Jamie at Performance Automotive in Ontario. http://www.performanceauto.ca/

First off let me say Jamie is a very stand up guy.  Honest, always happy and willing to do anything to make sure his customers are happy.  I believe it took about 6 or 7 working days after I gave him the "go-ahead" to get my exhaust.  I got a downpipe-->back exhaust. A 3" high flow cat is included for smog reasons.

As you can see in the pictures all hangers are there, and there are little "v-slits" cut into each pipe and a "blob" of metal is welded on the opposite pipe so the opening of the V hits goes in the weld mark.  Makes for perfect pipe alignment.  They are also labeld "AAAA" "BBBB" "CCCC" so as long as you still know your alphabet you will be good to go there.

It took me no more than one hour to get the job done, the most trouble was definately removing the old exhaust. It is Aluminzied steel which is than rust painted 2x and than coated with a few coats of super high temp silver just so it looks like exhaust. I dont have any worries of it rusting anytime soon.

As you can see the piping is extremly close to the stock in terms of bends and where they happen, etc.

Once again EVERYTHING you need except the tools was included. Gasket, high temp cement, all clamps, and even some stickers. Where applicable for the hangers there is stainless nuts, bolts and washers anywhere you need it.  This was by far the easiest modification I have done to my car thus forth and definately the most benificial.

I am really sorry I do not have any pictures of the boxes it was shipped in but it was excellently packaged.  No worries of anything getting damaged.  With the muffler there must have been 5lbs of bubble wrap and than another 5 or plastics all wrapped in cardboard.  The package was shipped UPS and they lost the downpipe/cat section somehow??  Go figure, never the less Jamie must have spent at least 2.5 hours on the phone with UPS bitching and it arrived the next day before lunch.

I will end this by saying that I am extremely pleased with how everything just went together like magic and Jamie himself.  I would not hesitate to order anything from him at any point. I was not told to make this review nor am being paid off for it.  I simply feel that for the service that I recieved the least I can do for them is write a review and let everyone know they kick ass. Here are some ending pictures just to show it is nowhere near the ground and everything lines up better that those guys at Mitsubishi could have pulled off.  Thanks for reading.

Final cost was 1100 even to my door in Kitimat.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 06:30:44 pm »
The performance improvement.....was like instead of normally give it full throttle wait wait wait.....than BOOST like how it was before, its like give it gas BOOST!  

I have next to no lag at all now, highway driving made a dramitic improvement at higher speeds.  Also I can light up my tires now which I couldnt really do before. (100 compression on all 4 cycls)

Boost is like auto-on.  That really is the best way to explain it.  But if you do this make sure to get an o2 housing and port the wastegate passage some.  I have no control of boost now, even with the EBC all zero'd out. It starts at 8 psi and easily climbs past 15.

My father owns his own shop and I apprentice there so I have access to a hoist, cost on normal parts from jobber stores, more tools than I know what to do with, AllData and a warm, well lit working enviorment anytime I want.  It is really kicks ass.

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:40:58 pm »
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
My father owns his own shop and I apprentice there so I have access to a hoist, cost on normal parts from jobber stores, more tools than I know what to do with, AllData and a warm, well lit working enviorment anytime I want.  It is really kicks ass.

Dude, that really *is* kick-ass.
you lucky sunova....

nice write-up on the exh... although, I'm quite interested to see pics of the flex section.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:43:12 pm »
Thanks man.  Having an entire shop (fits 5 cars comfortably) at my own disposal is nice.
If my camera wasnt in malasia or wherever the hell Canon sends their camera's to get fixed I would get one for you right now.  But, I cant.  I have never owned a camera this bad, and I thought Canon was a good name.  Never dropped, never abused, only about 300 pics taken over a year, and for that year it has been gone for 4 months on 2 warrantys.

Sorry.  /end rant.

*edit* Found the closest pic I have of it.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
Thats the smallest flex section I've ever seen........ :shock:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Trevor Germuth

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:21:38 pm »
I dunno.  I just installed it.  Is this something I should be worried about? The exhaust is great, just not quite as deep as yours Chris.  Not yet anyway......

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:22:49 pm »
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
Is this something I should be worried about?

Possibly.   Inside the flex section is "accordian" style metal folds.   This is what flexes (duh! :laugh: ).   When metal flexes, it fatigues, and eventually breaks. The greater the angle of deflection, the greater the degree of fatigue.  

A long flex section spreads the deformation over a greater distance (more folds), so each individual "fold" deflects far less, resulting in a much longer lasting flex section.

Also note that you have much less maximum travel allowance. If the combined motion of the engine and exhaust piping exceeds this (and it sure looks like it could be possible with yours), then forces could act apon  other things (such as the exhaust manifold), and the metal fatiguing of the flex section will be greatly accelerated.

Flex sections don't last forever.   Sooner or later you will have to replace it.

Hopefully your downpipe has the bracket that bolts to the side of the block, so that strain on the exhaust manifold is lessened.   If you don't,  I would seriously consider swapping in a bigger flex section.

EDIT: fixed spelling. "stain" on manifold :laugh:  
DISCLAIMER:  Just my wacked-out theories in this thread, reality is often a different beast.  :wink:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 08:14:40 pm »
Posts trimmed.  Reminder that if you don't have anything to add to the topic at hand, don't post!  (specs/techs rule, remember?) :)

Note - This reply will be trimmed as well in a week.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)