Author Topic: Evolution Wheels-Surrey  (Read 4075 times)

Offline John Hartman

Evolution Wheels-Surrey
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:18 am »
Well, these guys have great prices and are very freindly.

However, I cannot reccomend them.  In fact I recommend you do not buy from them.

I went there for a set of wheels for the Mazdaspeed6.  I took the car with me.  The styles of wheels were great, I really like the wheels.  That was never an issue.

However, they sold me a wheel with completely the wrong offset.  The factory car uses a 50mm offset.  many people use 48-45mm offsets on the Speed6.  They sold me 35mm offset wheels.  These don't work on a Mazdaspeed6.  They rub on the fender fairly badly.  In fact its slightly chewing up my expensive Dunlop StarSpec tires.  And slighly ruining the paint on my fender lip.  And this is after I gently rolled the lip.  I cannot drive the car even sort of aggressively, nor can I hit speed bumps, train tracks etc.  Its better after the fender roll, but still not acceptible.

Now, you say, "well, why did you buy them?"  I know, thing is, I trusted the wheel professionals, as I, like most people buying wheels, didn't know what offset I needed.  Hell, alot of people have never heard of offsets, let alone what they mean and how they effect peoples cars.  I was new to the Mazdaspeed at the time and didnt know what I needed.

I had a feeling it wasn't right so I asked them before they went to thier warehouse(in Surrey, 1 hr round trip) to get them.  Carmen was there, and there were 2 staff, the owner and his lead salesman.  I said "I think that offset is wrong, I think it is going to stick out too far."  I had nothing to base this on, just gut instinct as I had not done any research yet.
They told me politely but firmly that this was completely correct and would fit perfectly.  They showed me pics of some guys car that they just put them on.  It was clearly a Mazda3, not a 6, and the Mazdaspeed logo was clearly put on afterwards, it was a base model Mazda3, NOT a Speed3.

So we spend some time at a mall, while they pick up the wheels.  When we go to pick them up, I ask again, more firmly this time if they are the right offset as I still think its wrong.  They tell me its all good and not to worry about it.  I am uncertain, but they are, and they are a professional wheel shop.

When I get them back to my shop, I put one on, and its obvious its not right.  I phone them, and I get NOTHING but runarounds, bs and no help at all. You should have heard some of the calls, they were rediculous.

They keep telling me its right, that thier supplier says its right, that the dealer says its right and , get this, its my fault for choosing those ones.  They go days without answering my calls or emails.  They do nothing but blame me for it.  I get alot of "I hear ya bro, but what can I do about it?"  kinda crap.

A couple of weeks later, I get a call, and they will take them back but for a 45% restocking fee!!!!!  Yea, right...They have offered me a deal on another set of wheels, but its WAY too late as I need the car and had to buy other wheels already.  This has gone on for a month.

just thought I would let you all know what happened, and maybe keep another BCDSM member from having so much trouble.  And I have access to a tire machine so I can mount and balance for free.  Someone else would have to pay for that twice.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kristopher

Re: Evolution Wheels-Surrey
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:43:57 am »
A small claims court action would likely entice these guys to take them back with no questions.
Kristopher

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:20:40 pm »
Shitty about your luck John. Can't you take the tires back and mount one in there lot and SHOW them they do not fit?

I have said it before TOM THE TIRE GUY is the ONLY person I would buy any tires or rims from. They are AWESOME there. He even kept my old ladys winter tires there for storage.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:31:40 pm »
not the tires, I got those myself.  Just the wheels.

I have been thinking about small claims court, just for the principle of it all, but its a hassle.  I have done it before and won, but its a pain in the butt.  I figure I will just let everyone know that I won't be using or recommending thier services.  Both here and on MazdasNW.  And anyone else I talk to.

Rob, I took tons of pictures and emailed them.  They agree that they do not fit, but still they say its my fault because I ordered the wheels.

I left it up to them to decide the specs for me.  That won't happen again.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:37:37 pm »
John you ordered the wheels or you ordered the wheels for a specific application?
There's a major difference here.

Small Claims Court is a bit of a hassle, but you will win and they either need to defend, concede, or get judgement. Any way it works out they are out of pocket more money plus the embarrassment.

What are your options? You keep the wheels and find some other car they'll fit on, or do you have them 'exchange' them for the proper ones even though you don't need them and see if you can sell them. At least the second option still keeps their margin in the bank considering they're also sitting on 'used' rims/tires. Maybe they'll deal that way.

edit: btw when I ordered my wheels I calculated a 36mm offset. They disagreed and even sent me 38mm. I was pissed until I installed them. I had only a few mm clearance between the rear trailing arm and the tire, and they line up perfect with the fender. Had I actually gone with the 36mm it wouldn't have fit. That's good service right there...they wouldn't even let me buy the wrong ones.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:39:12 pm by Kristopher Rozon »
Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »
I bought what they told me would work, despite my instincts telling me that they wouldn't work.

I believe I will just sell these to someone who can use them.  TONS of cars will fit these wheels, such as a 2g.  But I still may present them with papers, because they have made me mad.  Driving like this for a while, scraping, damaging my tires, my paint, having to mount and balance low profile tires on black wheels with sticky weights and hard sidewalls twice!

And thing is, they were all about having me tell everyone I knew about thier service.  That there boys, is whats called a double edged sword!

Kris, what shop was that?  The one that won't let you get the wrong ones?

Oh and the 45mm offset works fine.  Pic up in the pics forum.  I have more too, if you guys would like to see em.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:10:59 pm by John Hartman »

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:29 pm »
I hate these kinda scheisters.  

From your story, it seems like they knew that it was not going to fit, but insisted anyways to get the sales.  This is VERY unethical and unprofessional.
The thing is, I bet they didn't have the right off set in stock, so they insisted to sell you those ones just to get the sales through.  A load of BS to me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:43:48 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »
A small claims court action would likely entice these guys to take them back with no questions.

+1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:50:51 pm »

Kris, what shop was that?  The one that won't let you get the wrong ones?

Not sure, John. It was through a group buy out of the USA though so it'd do you no good anyhow.
Kristopher

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »
report them to the BBB if they wont exchange or rufund you. 

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »
I don't think they are a member or does that not matter?

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »
i dont think it matters as if that was the case, no business would sign up if thats the only way they can get their hands slapped in situations like this.  i wouldnt use it as a threat either.... i just suggested it as a general rule if you cant get anywhere with dealing with any shop.  talk to them again? 

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 07:48:18 pm »
its a dead end, they keep changing thier story, say one thing one time and another thing the second time.

Mostly I posted this to keep you guys from buying from them.  No need for it to happen again.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 02:18:43 pm »
Evolution Wheels Ltd.

8125 130 Street
Surrey, BC V3W 7X4
(604) 598-3383
Bus: NB 128 St FS 82 Av
Get directions
Open Mon-Sat 9am-5pm

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
Can't be much of a wheel shop if they don't know how to order the correct wheel.
I would have done the exact same thing as I don't know about offsets and whatnot. I think the best thing you can do is spread the word. I mean not only are you a reputable mechanic, but you are part of at least one semi large car club. I might post about this on revscene if you already havn't.

Would be nice to just leave the wheels in the owners windshield...but we are more civil than that now aren't we.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...