Author Topic: FP Race Exhaust Manifold  (Read 9224 times)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
FP Race Exhaust Manifold
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »
Got my FP manifold installed today and figured i'd do a bit of a first impression write up:

The install was just like any other exhaust manifold.  You do however need 2 shorter manifold to turbo bolts, and two normal length.  Ziggy at RTM carries the shorter bolts.

I did have my manifold ceramic coated by Sheela at WC Customs Powder and Ceramic Coating.  I did this after hearing numerous people say how hot this manifold runs, especially without a heat shield.
Now the first impression:
I have to honestly say the car felt a little slower than before, with a 2G ported manifold. The low end seemed to lag a little bit, i fixed this with a bit of tuning through ECMLink and the car felt great once again.  The exhaust note at idle was pretty much the same as before, but the exhaust note in the higher RPM 4500-7000, was completley different.  It doesn't sound like any Talon i've heard before, it is an incredible sound!  As for the heat, i did a number of pulls, checking under hood after each pull.  I was able to hold my hand about an inch or two away from the manifold with no problems.  The radiant heat is very little.  I'd recommend to anyone to get their manifold ceramic coated.
I'd gather an ECMLink estimated 10hp gain just bolting it on, with additional tuning you're guaranteed more.  With my car the turbo (GT30-10) started to spool 300rpm sooner than with my ported 2G Manifold.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline John Hartman

Re: FP Race Exhaust Manifold
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
I concur, its just more power.  I also went from a well ported and coated 2g manifold to one of these.

I didn't notice any lower end loss on mine but I also didn't gain any cool exhaust sound either tho.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
Here are some pictures of it installed:

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:58:02 pm »
coat that O2 or get a tubular one.  Lowell picked up 16 or 22hp or something like that going with a tubular O2 on his setup.  I didn't notice that much, but I did notice a bit when I went with one, back when I had your turbo.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32:20 pm »
It's an evoIII 02 housing, so I'm sure it flows ok.  I do have the lower heatshield on, I just took the picture before I re-installed it. (the shield you custom made for the turbo, John)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »
ahh, cool  :)

Actually kinda proud of that lower shield.  Fits and looks like it could be stock  :D

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:56 pm »
Ide be interested to see the difference in efficiency between my tubular exhaust mani and tubular downpipe opposed to your FP cast mani and your Evo O2 downpipe.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »
Ide be interested to see the difference in efficiency between my tubular exhaust mani and tubular downpipe opposed to your FP cast mani and your Evo O2 downpipe.

+1

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 10:36:03 pm »
generally speaking, most reasonably priced tubular mani's (ie: DNP, ect) flow better than cast mani's.... although the FP cast mani is very well designed - its rated a bit better than a ported evo3 mani. most tubulars are flow more than cast as they can have larger runners.  A Full Race or JMF mani would prob be no competition

id imagine that any 2.5-to-3" or full 3" downpipe should flow better than an o2 housing due to the design differences.  

you'd have to take 1 cars setup and test each part(s) on the dyno to see any real gains/loss to know which combo of parts would yield the best results.

+1 for the FP cast though.  RG is also an FP dealer btw

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »
good infoz!   it could just come down to design. I know there is great benefits by going to a twin scroll setup too.   I like the FP manifold a lot. The runners are very short and merge directly over the turbo. As opposed to mine that comes off with individual pipes going up and back down to an F1 style collector. Ide love to switch all that out for a twin scroll mani and turbo.  Keep that thang spinin.

Cool read.    http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0906-twin-scroll-turbo-system-design/index.html
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
the major advantage a good cast manifold has over the average tubular one is that it will never crack.  Or if it does, it will be minor.  Not talking about stock ones here either. 

Plus it keeps the heat in better.

For an all out effort, sure get a good tubular one, but for the average, low worry, fast street car, use a cast one.  A good one, but a cast one.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
yeah it seems like ALL of the people who run tubular manis are always dealing with the cracking or warping in a little over a year.

Ill stick to my cast ones.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »
Well after my DNP cracked up i ordered one of these yesterday.

Unfortunately when it goes back on the dyno it won't be the only change, so no side by side comparisons. Would have been interesting to see, but my car wasn't tuned properly before anyways.

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »
Just a little update here about my FP manifold.

My last dyno experience netted me 312hp and 292ft/lbs, my previous was 248hp and 232ft/lbs.

Differences in my car were, the FP manifold, a set of very mild 266/262 cams, and ECMLink.

A gain of about 70hp and 70ft/lbs!!
Now that the car is tuned properly, boost comes on MUCH quicker, i can even hear the BOV let go just accelerating lightly off a red light, never did that before.  Like i said before, the car has a much different exhaust note in the higher rpm, which i enjoy.  Also the manifold looks pretty cool for a cast manifold.  The chances of them cracking are quite slim, although i have seen a few on other forums that have.  You also really can't beat the price!!

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:36:52 pm »
Plus the FP mani is just so clean looking