Author Topic: interesting - reason to go twin-scroll...?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
interesting - reason to go twin-scroll...?
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:33 am »
thread: http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1077263-zombies-quick-spool-valve-testing-pics-nerd-like-graphs.html

Short version: with twin-scroll turbo, valve inserted after turbo outlet.  Idea is to close off one side of the twin-scroll (and therefore halve the AR) at no or minimal boost, and open once boost builds to some small value (5-10 lbs), therefore resulting in faster initial spool.  Interesting concept.  Can't imagine why it would not work or what negatives it could create.

This could be quite interesting to play with on a dsm with a larger holset....
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: interesting - reason to go twin-scroll...?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »
This tech was being talked about a bunch about 2 or 3 years ago, but everyone's gone silent.  I assume it doesn't work all that well, as I know some DSMers were testing them but I never heard any positive reviews. 

Mazda used something similar (not the same) in their turbo FC.  It was an interesting twin scroll design to help spool.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »
Sounds simple but it doesn't sound easy.  It is recommended to go with a slightly larger a/r when switching to twin, but it would be interesting to see how much larger you could go with this kind of set up, assuming they can make it work reliably.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:01:09 pm »
yeah this never caught on cuz VGT's  (variable geometry turbo's) took hold. 
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
My brother has a quick spool valve on his Supra, when it goes for final tuning this year (possibly next year though) I can post some dyno graphs if people are interested.
97 TSi AWD - Winter 2010 Will-it-ever-be-finished Project

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:36 pm »
The concept is cool. I remember reading about the newer style Porsche turbochargers using "stator vanes" in the housing which when closed, would create a smaller turbo housing, yet when the open , they allow for maximum airflow. This is involving the housing around the turbine which is a totally different concept. Yet still very effective for allowing better spool.
As far as twin scroll goes, its there to maximize the efficiency of the exhaust pulses to the turbo. Obviously most of you guys know this already but Im just sayin.   It would seem to me that having a blockoff plate would make for some serious turbulence in the exhausts path to the turbo. My only concern with that is it could cause for hot spots and an odd collection of heat where the heat normally flowed past. And wouldnt closing up a port on the twin scroll setup allow for only 2 cylinders to operate the exhaust flow to the turbo? As far as I understand the manifolds are engineered to reduce the fluctuating exhaust pulses to the turbo and allow for better efficiency. I thought twin scroll started with (in our case) 4 runners divided accordingly based on firing order and length. 2 cylinders utilizing one side of the housing, and the other 2 cylinders to the other side of the housing.
Am I wrong?
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 07:56:08 pm »
The concept is cool. I remember reading about the newer style Porsche turbochargers using "stator vanes" in the housing which when closed, would create a smaller turbo housing, yet when the open , they allow for maximum airflow. This is involving the housing around the turbine which is a totally different concept. Yet still very effective for allowing better spool.
As far as twin scroll goes, its there to maximize the efficiency of the exhaust pulses to the turbo. Obviously most of you guys know this already but Im just sayin.   It would seem to me that having a blockoff plate would make for some serious turbulence in the exhausts path to the turbo. My only concern with that is it could cause for hot spots and an odd collection of heat where the heat normally flowed past. And wouldnt closing up a port on the twin scroll setup allow for only 2 cylinders to operate the exhaust flow to the turbo? As far as I understand the manifolds are engineered to reduce the fluctuating exhaust pulses to the turbo and allow for better efficiency. I thought twin scroll started with (in our case) 4 runners divided accordingly based on firing order and length. 2 cylinders utilizing one side of the housing, and the other 2 cylinders to the other side of the housing.
Am I wrong?

With a quick spool valve you use a twin-scroll turbo but an open manifold. This way when the valve is "closed" it's directing all 4 cylinders down one scroll. Personally, I think a system where the flapper is built into the turbine housing (as the scroll divider) would be a better solution, as then you could keep the advantages of a twin-scroll manifold while still having a quick spool valve.
97 TSi AWD - Winter 2010 Will-it-ever-be-finished Project

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »
With a quick spool valve you use a twin-scroll turbo but an open manifold. This way when the valve is "closed" it's directing all 4 cylinders down one scroll. Personally, I think a system where the flapper is built into the turbine housing (as the scroll divider) would be a better solution, as then you could keep the advantages of a twin-scroll manifold while still having a quick spool valve.

I agree. Keep it simple. Then all that has to be added is a method to actuate a diverting valve or a gate that allows the flow to join and divide through pressure change.   
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:17:54 am »
is it volume? or velocity of air that spools the turbo.?
Hard to find this balance.
I say use a electric motor to spool the turbo.
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/electric-supercharger-boosts-torque-50-and-reduces-co2-by-20.html
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:41 pm »
That balance is what makes its so difficult to keep things simple.  :)

That electric supercharger (ES) looks interesting. I didn't see how much potential range is lost to power it?

Energy capture devices similar to those used in F1 and LeMans that produce a short term "boost" would be fun for the street, although the ES looks like a good idea since it offers a full time boost.

At work we use electric lift-trucks and reach-trucks that generate charge while coasting/braking to increase range, similar to newer hybrid/electric vehicles.  It is nice not to have to apply the brake all the time as the system produces enough drag to slow the lift when not accelerating. 

1997 Eagle Talon AWD,