Author Topic: RTM Heat Barrier Intake Manifold Gasket  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: RTM Heat Barrier Intake Manifold Gasket
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:50 pm »
I moved my Dynatek from the timing cover area after the second failure.  It gets really hot there and if you do put it there do NOT mount it on the "hot plate" that is included with it unless of course you place a phenolic spacer between the Dyantek and the plate.  ;)   I moved mine to the glove box but be warned, it is loud.   
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:23 am »
Need a ram air intake into a box with you air filter/intake sealed with your box in there.
At the back of the cold air box you run your brake cooling ducts.
That way when your on the gas the air is being used for the right thing.
Hit the brakes, air bypasses the intake and cools the brakes.
All the while keepin you from getting a hot box.
Might need to get creative to keep moisture out but I could be done.

Offline Allen fong

• Lying that my car fast since 1990
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 04:05:51 pm »
Ok well i'll pick one up and take some before and after measurements see how it performs. I know i can't put my hand on my intake mani after a good day of driving. ( i have the scar to prove it) but thats gonna have to wait till spring

Look forward to your results.  I can't put my hand on my strut tower bar either, and that isn't even touching the head.  

this is fact!
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »
I moved my Dynatek from the timing cover area after the second failure.  It gets really hot there and if you do put it there do NOT mount it on the "hot plate" that is included with it unless of course you place a phenolic spacer between the Dyantek and the plate.  ;)   I moved mine to the glove box but be warned, it is loud.   
I wasn't aware Dynatek made any noise or the mounting plate actually gets hot.
Are there are negatives to having a CDI box far away from the coils???
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »
Re: Dynatek noise. Either did I Daniel.  It is like having your ear against the plug wells as they fire. It is muted in the glove box though.

If you have lots of radiant heat the metal plate will become saturated and conduct some of its heat into the cdi's heatsink. This is one of the few instances where thermo plastic would be preferred. 

Ideally you should keep connections as short as possible but I would say the only real negative is passing a high voltage wire through the firewall without emf shielding.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:13:37 pm »
Sadly, keeping the heat in the head doesn't help power production either.

also its about keeping the air as cold as possible before it gets thrown in the cylinder so the less heated material the "colder" air goes through the better ,

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
I agree, particularly before it is compressed.   The heat has to go somewhere.  If the heat that was going into the manifold is prevented from doing so where does it go?
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,

Offline Matt Feist

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 05:23:38 pm »
I would have to assume the ambient air temp in the engine bay may go up instead of heat transfer into the intake. At lease its away from the air. Then do what Rob suggested and make an actual airbox.

Although on that note check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 06:58:55 pm »
Nice video!  I would like to see them do a few more tests with higher underhood temperatures and see if the difference becomes larger. 

Drop-in filters can improve performance IF the filter is a restriction to begin with and less of a restriction then the OEM.       

If the Skyline's (in the video) intercooler is able to keep up with the heat load there shouldn't be a significant power difference.  When the heat load exceeds the intercoolers ability to reject that heat you will see power drop unless cooler air becomes available or meth, etc is added. IF the intake system is already at that threshold a small temperature increase will likely reduce total power output.  This is rather obvious at the track as ambient temps drop it moves the cars into their efficiency range for longer or allows them to add more timing/boost.

RE: Heat kept in the head.  Logically, if the surface area for cooling is (significantly) reduced then cooling will become (noticably) less efficient.  I would be concerned that the extra heat that is not being conducted into the intake will only keep the head hotter.  If this results in higher average combustion temps it will result in lowering the detonation threshold more than compared with the heat added to the air passing through the intake manifold alone.

I wonder how much heat is actually absorbed by the air passing through the intake manifold on a turbo that flows 50lb+/min?  How many degrees could it add?  Any physics majors here?  :)

A related problem, albeit the degree of tolerance is probably much more sensitive, is introduced when coating pistons since the thermal decay rate within the combustion chamber is extremely important for controlling the burn rate of the fuel while avoiding pre-ignition.   

With that said, if your tune isn't near the bitter edge it probably isn't worth losing sleep over.  Shielding your intake, as Rob said, with a provision for colder air to enter is cheap insurance for maximizing your power potential. :D

1997 Eagle Talon AWD,

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:58 am »
Ya mighty car modz is really informative! ! , so just run your vehicle without a hood and your air intake out of the engine bay  im sure thatll drop the Temp in your intake, + if your running meth you shouldnt have to buy the intake heat barrier it would be cold as ice and the best combustion temp ;) , now thats the kind of tests they should be doing,  hahahaa... of coarse it can only get so cold with out the motor running temp getting in the way, 

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 07:04:31 am »
Meth aint that cold!    Run the heat barrier gasket regardless of your setup..     if your sold on it or not. Its a good seal and less metal on metal will definitely result in lower transferred heat between the head and intake manifold. That doesnt mean your going to make way more power!!  It means that you've taken ONE step to making your intake temps lower.  

Ill check the temps in a month or so    :)
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 11:42:02 am »
For anyone that would like some indepth meth injection info here is one of the best sources that I have read:    

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/9100RS9H.txt?ZyActionD=ZyDocument&Client=EPA&Index=1981%20Thru%201985&Docs=&Query=&Time=&EndTime=&SearchMethod=1&TocRestrict=n&Toc=&TocEntry=&QField=&QFieldYear=&QFieldMonth=&QFieldDay=&UseQField=&IntQFieldOp=0&ExtQFieldOp=0&XmlQuery=&File=D%3A%5CZYFILES%5CINDEX%20DATA%5C81THRU85%5CTXT%5C00000019%5C9100RS9H.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h%7C-&MaximumDocuments=1&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=p%7Cf&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=1

Insulate the head with the spacer to keep the heat in the head, not in the manifold. OK.   ;D    

Hey Jordan, RTM said your cheque is in the mail.  ;)  

Did you send that penny through Canada Post? Cause it ain't here yet...and since they have discontinued pennies I figure I am going to make some real money off of it as a collectors item.    

Bryan, I am pretty sure that driving without a hood is illegal on the street where it would still be a trade off with the extra drag it would add.  It would be nice not to have to lift the hood to check on things though.  :)   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:00:26 pm by Robert Vorley »
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:29:57 am »
haha   I have no problem being an RTM racing advocate. 
Heres a good example why...
I bought stuff from RTM racing at 11pm last night
The order was shipped out around 7am today.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Allen fong

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 10:46:56 pm »
Ok I'm going to test this gasket soon .....July 15th ....however it will be on a stock intake without the barrier and evo3 intake with barrier gasket! I don't believe the difference in manifolds is going to throw off the results all that much if at all. I will be logging the temp at both ends of the manifold cold start then a drive and will post the results.

Anyone input is welcome...
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.

Offline Allen fong

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »
Ok so I didn't do this yet. But results next weekend! If its not raining!
1993 1G AWD