Author Topic: ECM Tuning (ECMLink) for ECU Repairs  (Read 4691 times)

Offline CamWeiss

ECM Tuning (ECMLink) for ECU Repairs
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »
So I had my 1g ECU fail on me a while back. After lots of ruling out everything else, I sent it off to ECM Link for repair.

Before you ship it to them, you first have to pay for a service request and return shipping for your part. The total was something like $70, plus of course your shipping costs to them.

I had written up a brief note on the order, as they request during checkout, describing symptoms.

As soon as they received my ECU in the mail they sent a confirmation of receipt.
They sent a message when it was being processed/inspected and the result (Capacitor leakage resulting in a failed 5v circuit), and went ahead with repairing the capacitors and retesting for ECU function (all included with the Service Request fee).
They notified me when it was complete and ready to ship.
They notified me when it left with USPS, and included a tracking number.

This all happened within two days of them receiving my ECU. They very promptly responded to the couple of questions I had, and my overall impression was that they're very efficient and professional.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for ECU repair in the future!

http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=33

So, for about the same cost as getting another non-socketted EPROM ecu (that I would have to have socketted), I now have a verified and tested piece that will hopefully give me no problems for a long time to come. Very happy with them!
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: ECM Tuning (ECMLink) for ECU Repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:28:59 am »
Nice, how much did the total repair cost including all the shipping and service charges?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »
Shipping both ways, plus their services, were under $100.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:50:58 am »
sounds like a good deal.

ecm tuning was exceptional to deal with for me as well, used their socket service.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:21:26 pm »
One quick question. Being that the Ecu that failed was socketed already, didn't the caps get recently changed when the socket was installed? Or was the socket just the only thing that was installed.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »
I had it socketed locally - Just the socket was done (this was about 4-5 years ago) as the caps showed no signs of failure or leakage.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:15:16 pm »
Well to add to this post.  Been dealing with ECM link lately.

First they have NO phone number to contact them.  You can only contact them and  reply by email, and this can take days to happen.

also if you are looking to buy Just the  EPROM ecu's from them... they will not sell them without including ECM link in a "package" deal with the ECU. (even tho there website doesn't say anything about this, and lists the eprom ecu's available by themselves)  They also will not do any sort of "core" options as well for obvious reasons.

They may be a OK option for diagnosis/repair/socketing of the EPROM ECU's and possibly for doing the NON EPROM to EPROM conversion, but they would probably want to sell ECM link as well if they upgrade the non-eprom to a eprom as well I imagine.

Also to add to this review, they did fix Cams ECU, but also the ecu seemed to fail again months later, so not exactly sure if that's related or if its separate problem altogether.  Knowing these cars, I would say more then likely ECU related.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:52:09 am »
Guess I'll update too.

Yes, not having a phone number is a bit of an inconvenience. But I've always had my emails returned quite promptly - Sometimes within the hour, and almost always the same day.

I did send my ECU back in December for additional testing, as I was having similar problems again. They tested mine on their bench system for a cumulative 24 hours and ran it in their vehicle as well. No issues. No additional cost (other than shipping for me).

Interesting about how they're packaging their ECUs with Link. I'd think they'd sell a few more ECUs if you didn't have to spend several hundred dollars on the whole kit.

(That said, I really wish I initially went with Link instead of a logger and chip).

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:27 pm »
well now theres the tunerpro SWD or VLADD,, (or even maf based XDF/BINS)  as a option instead of link., but you do need a ostrich to run that along with the eprom

They said they cannot sell the 91-94 eproms by themselves due to very very low availiblity of the ECU nowadays. Which I have found to be personally absolutely true.  Almost like a needle in a haystack now...  Along with good shape used AWD transmissions as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:15:59 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:24 pm »
I keep kicking myself, when I had another 1992 6/4 parts car a few years back I stripped a whole bunch out of it. But I left the ECU with the car because it wasn't eprom.

Turns out having even a non eprom would have helped me (or another board member) out a few times by now...

Worst comes to worst, they can always convert a non eprom over, right?

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 11:24:44 am »
 Along with good shape used AWD transmissions as well.
That's because I have them all up here in the cold north!! :D

Cam, I do believe they can convert the non e-proms. Costs a little more but at least it can be done. As for Link, great tuning program! I knew absolutely nothing when I got my car with Link and I found it to be very user friendly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:35:51 am by Greg Durban »
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:21 am »
Been using ECMLink for years, and last year had to send my ECU in due to data logging failing after extended drives (over an hour and a half).  They immediately knew the cause and fixed it super cheap.  The issue was in no way related to the ECMLink chip they sold me, but simply a problem with the ECU I was using.  Between this and the other transactions I've had with them, I'm super happy.