Author Topic: hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« on: November 02, 2003, 02:41:02 pm »
well I spent the weekend doing a bunch of things to my car and one of them was putting in a 2G MAS.  I realise that this topic has been beaten to death, but I figure I might as well ad my input.  I must say that these things are significantly bigger than the 1G version.  

Since I was going from a basically completely hacked 1G MAS (all but the bottom half cut off), I was having idle problems.  The car couldn't hold idle at all, I stalled at every light.  Not with this badboy though, idle is rock steady.

Another good thing about it, DAMN EASY TO TUNE.  Holy crap, I can't say enough about how much easier this thing is to tune compared to a hacked 1G MAS.

Installing was simple, just followed the VFAQ for wiring the plug into a harness from a spare 1G MAS I had laying around.  took a total of 15 minutes to go from a small pile of parts to having the thing in the car and working

The BOV is much louder now as well.  I don't really care too much for that, but for the ricer in us all... :laugh:

All in all, this is a worthwhile mod, for those that are looking to rid themselves of their damn 1G MAS.  Anyone else care to put their input in?

I'll put up pictures to show the differences between the two for those that don't know (or are too lazy to search for pictures :P ) as soon as I can con Andrew Steele into hosting the pics :wink:

Jovan
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline John Hartman

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 10:09:15 pm »
sounds good :)

any power gains??

Mike Jackson recently posted a topic like this over at 'Canada.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 10:14:07 pm »
well I'm not entirely sure, because I put on my ghetto exhaust that's been sitting in my garage so I'm not sure how much of the power increase is from the exhaust and how much is from the MAS.  

But here is a picture of the stock one I had laying around and the 2G,

Pretty easy to tell which one will flow better

Jovan

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Re: hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 10:51:02 pm »
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
Anyone else care to put their input in?

Lately, the MAF-T and GM hot-wires have been all the rage.  

But the 2G MAS is a solid, cost effective choice thats easy to tune.   There, thats my input.  :laugh:

Nice comparo pix, BTW....
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Michael Cummings

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 09:41:09 pm »
you said that you were having idle problems with the hacked 1G and then when you put in the 2G your idle problems were gone?
i recently ported out my lower chamber on my 1G mas and took out the lower honeycomb and now i'm having idle problems....problem is i cant remember if i was having them before hackin the mas...i dont think i was..i wonder if that has anything to do with my problems now
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Andrew Scott

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 10:02:29 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... hacking mafs is a baaaad idea.

Bandaid solution for running rich.

A real crappy bandaid, made of hockey tape and some toilet paper.

That has been wrapped around your finger for 3 days, and is all dirty and starting to fall off.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline John Hartman

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 10:32:59 pm »
andrew its no where near that bad.

I ported out mine, and I got way better mileage, no fuel cut and went thru aircare with flying colours.  Like 0.00 on 2 readings.

Plus no drivability probs, and it idles well.  Not as well as Mikes car but well.

Now its not to say that it cant cause problems, because if you have no fuel control and not enough fuel(eg stock pump and injectors, possibly regulator too) it probably will idle badly.

There are MANY 1g mafs out there that run fine and make lots of power.

That said a 2g would be better as would a GM maf, but it is actually quite good.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 10:41:57 pm »
Quote from: "Michael Cummings"
you said that you were having idle problems with the hacked 1G and then when you put in the 2G your idle problems were gone?
i recently ported out my lower chamber on my 1G mas and took out the lower honeycomb and now i'm having idle problems....problem is i cant remember if i was having them before hackin the mas...i dont think i was..i wonder if that has anything to do with my problems now

funny thing about it was that I had no idle problems with it for a long time and as soon as I put in my FMIC, the idle started going wacky.  I figured intake leak, but after testing, no such luck (if you can call that luck).  As soon as I put in the 2G MAS, idle was rock solid.  I have no idea why it would start having crappy idle after the IC install(I'd assume from the larger piping air to flow in more freely, making it easier to miscount from the lower section), but it did.  Go figure :?

Jovan

Offline Andrew Scott

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 10:58:53 pm »
Alls I'm trying to say is, to make a 1g maf work to its full potential, you do need things like fuel control. You might as well just upgrade, as a 2g maf isn't that expensive a part.

GM maf and translator on the other hand, a different story.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Mike Schmid

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 12:22:20 am »
Yeah, I'll back the Maf hacking on this one... on my 93 AWD we (John and I) ported the lower chamber, honeycomb was gone, and it idles rock steady.  And I mean rock steady, logger verified 750rpm.  No fuel control at all, rewired stock pump, stock injectors and fuel pressure.  Mind you, I do run a bit lean on the top end now but 3" exhaust and 17 psi will do that to ya.  Fuel pump is on the way.  

And yes 2G MAS is pretty affordable but keep in mind you need a new turbo inlet pipe, and have to find a way to mount it and shield the heat from it, your old hacked aircan and homemade heat shields won't work.  Plus you'll need a AFC to go with it.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Travis Merrick

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 05:59:39 am »
Do you have to run 550's on a 2g mas or could I run a 2g mas on my stockers?
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

hacked 1G MAS vs. 2G MAS
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 10:58:00 am »
you can run them on your stock 450cc injectors, which is what I'm doing now, but I have my AFC settings all at ~+17%, plus the most boost I can get out of my car without getting 91% injector duty cycle is 16 psi.  Pretty lame if you ask me

I have a set of RX-7 550ccs sitting around, just have to get off my lazy ass and get them cleaned :P

Jovan