Author Topic: Mustang Test Drive  (Read 794 times)

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
Mustang Test Drive
« on: April 10, 2004, 04:30:54 pm »
One of my buddies just bought a lightly modded 87 5.0 Mustang LX coupe.

It looks alright, has some nice centerlines.... Anyways he had been drinking at a party last night and some people wanted to go for a rip in the new ride. I was nominated to drive(since I dont drink) and so I was given the keys and we were off :twisted:

Ive driven a few of these before, but not enough to feel comfortable going full out, especially with two passengers so I was kinda taking it easy, until we arrived at a huge empty golf course parking lot :wink:

We filled that place up with smoke so fast I had to stop spinning because I could no longer see where I was going. The fun factor with this car is 100% Brakestands are inviting and come easy, everything is quite straightforward for keeping it under control. The pedals are too close together I thought, every once and awhile my left foot on the break would also hit the clutch a bit. 2nd gear is definately the burnout gear, 1st goes by too quickly. Redline comes fast at 5,000 rpm.

Launching properly was difficult, espeically with well worn tires on the back, bit it can be accomplished. As soon as you grab 2nd, all hell breaks loose... note for next time: ease it into 2nd to avoid wheelspin.

Driveability was good, for the most part. Power in any gear at any RPM, no boost lag. The powerband is rather boring for my liking, straight, long and smooth... there is no overwhelming surge of dramatic power at 4,000 rpm till redline like in our cars 8)  The interior was nasty, steering wheel is the same from the ford cargo vans of the same year. The seats we lacking support in any direction except down, and no matter what we did we couldnt turn off the intermitted windsheild wipers.

Speed. Its definately peppy, and the torque sucks you back into your seat for all of first and second. When third comes the car falls flat on its face, the excitement ends there. The speedo climbs fast, and the car feels faster than a mid-high 14 second car but in reality thats all that it is. Torque is decieving, but the fun makes up for it.

Overall? If you can get past the "less than sporty" interior, and the stereotype you will achieve with owning one of these cars, you could have alot of fun and actually enjoy owning one of these. I can picture myself having one, bit I think I would get bored with it after 6 months or so. Smokeshows and burnouts can only be so fun, then you are left striving for more :)  My DSM fills that void. I wont ever own a stang unless I had a DSM at the same time :P
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114