Author Topic: Using MAFT with Jeff O chip  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Using MAFT with Jeff O chip
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:38:57 pm »
So i want to use the 3" GM MAFT, just as an air flow meter, not using it for tuning purposes.  I have a Jeff O chip to control my injectors.  My question is, do i zero everything out on the translator, or do i still set it for 750cc injectors?

Thanks
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Richard Clark

Re: Using MAFT with Jeff O chip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »
Jeff told me to set it for stock injectors.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:06:20 pm »
Why would you not want to use the tuning flexibility of the MAF-T if you have it?

The answer is yes, initially. (well technically you don't zero it out, but you'd set it for 450s)
But you'll find that depending where you place the MAF you'll get differing results in air volume.
Kristopher

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »
use it for fine tuning obviously but I ment for initial setup.  I am just going to use my safc for the fine tuning as it is more accurate than the maft

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
use it for fine tuning obviously but I ment for initial setup.  I am just going to use my safc for the fine tuning as it is more accurate than the maft

I am going to do the same thing, use safc for fine tuning.  Thanks for the replys!

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:52:44 pm »
I don't even have my MAFT hooked up to tune via. Just plugged in and went. Jeff said if you don't wanna tune with it at all don't hook anything up. He did compensate for it IN my chip though..
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:01:39 pm »
The SAFC uses RPM points to tune, and the MAF-t by airflow.
You can effectively tune with positive results using both.
The MAF-t can tune by RPM points as well, but it's more difficult to set up and the initial airflow hz range must be tuned first.

Since RPM tuning isn't load-based, set up the SAFC where the LO and HI are very far apart. It'll scale everything in between.
Kristopher

Offline Dan Harshey

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:57:06 pm »
I don't even have my MAFT hooked up to tune via. Just plugged in and went. Jeff said if you don't wanna tune with it at all don't hook anything up. He did compensate for it IN my chip though..

I did get my chip burnt to be specifically used with a MAFT.  Just in process of re-doing my UICP to fit my GM MAF, then installing the translator, setting to 450cc injectors and not hooking anything else up.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »

I did get my chip burnt to be specifically used with a MAFT.  Just in process of re-doing my UICP to fit my GM MAF, then installing the translator, setting to 450cc injectors and not hooking anything else up.

I zero'd all the dials out out on mine plugged it in and away I went..
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 12:05:23 am »
your best bet dan would be to shoot jeff an email and ask him.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:13:08 am »
I asked Jeff the same question.
He told me to 0 everything out in MAFT's and SAFC's as the ECU will know how to control the 750's,
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:40:38 am »
The version of the MAFT that I have you can hook up a RPM wire and set the -/+ off RPM points instead of using MAFS points.

I have never used it tho... i just left it disconnected and tuned off the MAFS points.  MAFT also has a "fine tuning mode" where you can adjust aifflow settings in smaller increments then allowed with just adjusting the WOT BASE etc knobs... 

The MAFT makes more power for sure then the stock 1G mas... but i dont like the drivablilty problems that come with it.  For this reason i will be going to a DS map or just a chipped eprom with a 2G mas instead.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:18 am »
The MAF-t is great if you're constantly messing about with cams, cam timing, or anything else that might change the VE of the engine. Speed density setups suffer a major drawback in this area.

I can say I've run my own chip tune along with a MAF-t for many years on a 20g and had no drivability issues to speak of. And that includes trips across country. But it seems like maybe I'm the only one /  ???
Kristopher

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
the only really drivablilty issues i got was that when you do from a higher elevation area (Merritt) and drive down to the lower mainland the MAFT doesn't account for the change in air temperature as well as it does with the stock 1G mas sensor (MAFT sets it to a constant) and the computer will start hitting fuel cut earlier then it used to at the higher elevation.  Also i noticed that when your at lower RPM's (2000-3000) and you go from WOT to 0% throttle then the engine jerks a bit and doesn't have a smooth of a transition as you do with the stock 1G mas.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »
Interesting. I never had those issues with my MAF-t.
Also ran 20psi on that 20g and the highest octane I could find. In calgary it was 91(?) unless you went to 94 w/ethanol.
We've made several trips from Calgary (3600ft) through the mountains (Coquihalla) and to Vancouver that way.

The GM MAS can and will compensate for temperature purely by nature of the hotwire setup. The problem may be any change in Baro pressure.
Kristopher