Author Topic: Can anyone lend a hand with my first clutch?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Dan Silburn

Can anyone lend a hand with my first clutch?
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:08:07 pm »
Well I thought id see if anyones got some free time to give me a hand with my first clutch, so I dont make anything go boom.

Offline Richard Clark

Re: Can anyone lend a hand with my first clutch?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:23:00 pm »
Just dig into it, get everything from the top away first( easiest/cleanest), then u have a choice of where to go next, either the exhaust and then the tcase, or you can take off the brakes and get the axles out, on the drivers side there are 2 bolts holding it to the block, make sure you get these out.  It really isn't a hard job, if it is your first time just go by what the manual says and you won't have any issues. And if you do, just post them up and we can help.

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »
Well I finally manned up and started I took out the intake, uicp, battery+tray. I took off what I think it said was the linkages (see pic)

I disconnected the one with the rubber boot in the middle and the one to the right of it underneath the thermostat hose. Was that correct?

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:40:38 pm »
Yes, you will disconnect the cables from the trans, also unbolt the bracket that is attatched to the trans, they are 12mm. 

After this step you can disconnect the slave, unbolt the bracket from the trans also, just do NOT take it off of the line or you will have to bleed it out afterwards.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »
also wrap some tape around the slave cylinder so that the part that moves can't fall out.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:13 pm »
Okay well ive disconnected the reverse lights switch which was a simple clip. Ive been looking for the 10 mm bracket the has the chord protruding out for the speedometer. It was described as being in between the passenger cv axle and the rear motor mount. So ive been looking for a long time so I thought id post up some pics and maybe get some direction. I took like 6 or 7 ill post them all since I didnt know which ones would help you guys the most.

and apparently this is what its supposed to look like

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:32:33 pm »
Dan, not to be a doubting Thomas or anything, but at this point, you already have a probem and this is the SUPER EASY part.  It gets MUCH harder and technical.

I am not saying to stop, but maybe get someone there who has done one before? 

Just to save you some serious frustration and effort, and possibly some broken expensive parts or having to do it all over again due to something assembled incorrectly inside the bellhousing.

you could also really hurt yourself if you mess up with the jack and jackstands when you are underneath it with no wheels on it, no axles in, suspension all taken apart and a 125lbs transmission on your chest.  With the driveshaft laying beside you and the transfercase jammed up against your kindeys.  With the downpipe rammed in your ear.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »
Lol very descriptive, yeah I think shanes gonna come over in a bit and give me a hand cause I definatly am going to blow something up. Yeah I found them both just took alittle direction haha.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:03:00 pm by Dan Silburn »