Author Topic: Drags at western  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Dan Silburn

Drags at western
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »
http://www.sislra.ca/schedule.html

I will be attending some events probably the shootout and a couple test and tunes, just a heads to get your cars back together.

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Drags at western
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »
I might have to do a couple drags this year... Gotta get practiced so I can go to the Mision/Dyno weekend!

Am not enthused about having to switch to water (vs antifreeze) for one damn event, though...
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »
I might have to do a couple drags this year... Gotta get practiced so I can go to the Mision/Dyno weekend!

Am not enthused about having to switch to water (vs antifreeze) for one damn event, though...

Do you not have an overflow tank anymore? (I believe it only matters if you drain coolant to the ground and not into a catch can/overflow tank)
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »
This venue likes it if everyone uses water, but it's not mandatory.

Mission it is (by the look of it, after reading their site).

I've got the overflow.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:48 am »
Mission has never checked that for any car with an overflow that I have seen, but YMMV.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:08 pm »
the rules are clear.  If your car is older than a certain age(1gs are for sure) you have to run water.

yes you might be able to get away with it, but if you blow up and put antifreeze on the track, you will be in big shit.  And EVERYONE will be mad at you because it takes a really long time to get it cleaned up.  Its really slippery and doesn't come out of the track surface easily.

And Cam, just drain and flush it in the spring, put water and WaterWetter in it, then in the fall just drain the rad at the bottom drain and fill it with new coolant.  Perfect mix and super easy.  This way, your car gets fresh coolant once a year and keeps things happy.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46:14 pm »
i have talked about this with the tech inspectors at mission...  they said.

The "strait water" thing is really only for the open system drag cars (no overflow bottle) that just dump it out onto the ground.  Any "newer" or stockish car would be running a overflow bottle...so they are fine and can run the coolant/water mix they normally would.

As far ask i know, like remi said.  MISSION RACEWAY doesn't require water only as coolant unless you are not running a overflow bottle.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:51:21 pm »
it sure would be nice, but in my experience, they will make you drain your hot coolant there, and fill it with water and bleed it etc, then come back into tech.

I personally know two of the tech inspectors as well.

I agree with you guys, its stupid, because they have a cutoff on a model year, and there are lots of newer ones that use the same system as many older ones.

The problem with alot of these kinds of rules is that they were written by tech people in the 60s and 70's and then kept in place by tech inspectors who would prefer that there are only carb V8 cars there anyways.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »
I've never had a problem with tech and antifreeze. They never even asked on our talon or the truck. I find they are only looking for ghetto set-ups that have a higher risk of failure.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
I would flag Johns car too. I mean, who spends THAT much time cleaning their engine bay anyway... he's trying to hide something.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:31:34 pm »
LOL  :)

I know, I have to put bleedingness on my headlights

I have never been failed.

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »
i have drag raced at Western before, i had 50/50 coolant in my car and was questioned, and warned if i wanted to come back and race that i'd have to have straight water.  They did however let me race, i then blew up my clutch, ha ha ha
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!