Author Topic: Spark Plug Wires  (Read 1540 times)

Stan Quan

Spark Plug Wires
« on: May 29, 2003, 01:23:45 pm »
I need to change my spark plug wires, and would like some opinions.  My '92 TSi is essentially stock, except for the air can/filter.  Should I just stick with OEM wires, or go with after-market?  Would after-market be cheaper than OEM and/or better?  If after-market, which brand/model.  Keep in mind I don't want to spend more than I have to.  I've seen posting that Magnecor 8.5mm is good, but I don't want overkill and spend more $$ if it's not beneficial.  Should I go with Magnecor 7 or 8mm?  But is it more expensive than OEM, and better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Travis Merrick

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 01:37:34 pm »
Im running Magnecore 8.5mm, havent had any problems with them, yet.  I heard they are notorious in our climate to create condensation in the spark plug hole and wouldnt be covered under any type of warranty.  NGK 8.5mm are good, John praises Aurora that are local, im not to sure, my magnecores were expensive, like $100.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Kimyee Lai

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 01:47:58 pm »
Wires are basically like plugs.  You could go all out and by iridiums at $20 a pop, or go with regulars and just change them often.  Personally, I'd go with something that's known to work well, like the NGK wires, and just change them regularly, once every 2-3 years or so(their carbon cores degrade with time/heat).    NGK wires are supposed to be quite good.  Magnecores are working fine for me, and Accell worked fine, though they were a little too long.  

But basically, don't look at plug wires for performance enhancement.  They are just a regular maintenance item.

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 01:48:26 pm »
I have the NGKs from Lordco.  They have a lifetime warranty but if you bring it back to Lordco within a year they will give you a new set if there is something wrong with them.

I'm on my second set right now.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Stan Quan

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 02:24:07 pm »
I just called Lordco and they got Magnecor for $88.24, and NGK for $69.82.  I asked if the Magnecor was the 8.5mm but he wasn't sure.  He said it was whatever it was.  Guess it doesn't matter to me.  I think I'll go with the NGK for the price.  Thanks guys.

Chao C. Yin

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 02:45:13 pm »
I have heard good things about the MSD wires, maybe you can try to look into that.

Offline Eric McIntyre

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 03:03:04 pm »
arent the stock plug wires ngk? not performance ones but i'm pretty sure ngk is original equipment on these bad boys
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Anonymous

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 05:39:30 pm »
I bought NGK (7mm blue) wires from Crappy Tire for $40-ish I believe.  Call around to see which store has them in stock, or better yet wait until they have their usual sale on NGK stuff (20% off).

Offline John Hartman

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 10:18:10 pm »
Have a look at Auroras.  they were cheap and alot of racers use them on their track only cars.

I like mine and with my discount they were like $55
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Andreas Zervas

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 12:51:51 pm »
i have nology wires
very good but also pricey
2.4L gt42r AWD spyder

Lowell Foo

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 03:14:05 pm »
NGK plug wires have worked the best for us, and are also reasonably priced.  Spark plugs will make more difference than plug wires, assuming the wires are in good condition.  Good ol' NGK BPR6ES or 7ES plugs gapped to 0.028 are fine for most cars.

On Supras converted over to waste spark, irridium plugs will allow higher boost before misfiring, and are only $8 each.  I've been running the same set in my car for about a year, so they're a savings in the long run, or if you change your plugs like Fraser :)

Some of you guys might have seen Bron's gold Golf VR6 turbo next door at Momentum.  I set up the mapping on the DTA engine management yesterday and it put down 420whp at just 16psi on pump gas.  As soon as we went above 16psi it started misfiring like crazy.  By simply closing the 'gap' on the Bosch triple electrode plugs (which aren't supposed to be gapped) the misfire went away completely.  Final results?  475whp at 22psi without the 150 shot direct port NOS.

Offline Andreas Zervas

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 09:07:51 pm »
:shock:
2.4L gt42r AWD spyder

Offline Michael Cummings

Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 10:38:53 pm »
if you want plug wires that will last you get the stock wires....you wont get much performance out of "performance" plug wires and they dont last as long as the stock wires
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)