Author Topic: (Moved) engine for my 1990 plymouth laser  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Chad Giffen

Re: wtb...engine for my 1990 plymouth laser
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 01:53:18 pm »
why dont you take a picture of the piston for us to see and we will tell you?
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Stirling Schroeder

• 1990 laser
Re: wtb...engine for my 1990 plymouth laser
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 02:26:19 pm »
well i dont have the piston outa the block i odnt plane on doing that but yea ill try and get the best pic i can of it
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Chad Giffen

Re: (Moved) engine for my 1990 plymouth laser
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:20 pm »
by all means plz dont take it out of the block..   otherwise you will have to get a new one to seat it right again. Leave it in so we can look and the ring/block condition and the crown condition.
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:44 pm »
you won't need a new piston because you pull it, but it would be a good idea to hone the cylinder and put on new rings, and then you will have to do all of them the same way.  This is a MUCH more finicky procedure and if done slightly incorrectly will cause issues later on.  Plus it will cost alot more, take alot more time and introduce the possibility of frigging something up.

As it sits, just take a good, clear, well lit, in focus, non camera phone picture of it and post it up.

MOST likely the piston is fine.  At worst, barring really odd conditions, you will have to remove a "divot" out of it, from the valve or you will get hot spots and ping/knock.  Some sand paper or a dremel tool and you can carefully clean it up just fine.  I have removed 2-4 large divots off each piston on a modified turbo car and had no problems at all from that.  Car ran great and ran fairly high boost too, for quite a while.  Then he hit a ditch and rolled it, but thats beside the point.

Send the head to a good machine shop and have them pressure check it, clean it up really well and mill it flat.  Have them take a bit off, as you are running an N/T engine and the compression bump will help power and mileage.  Also have them put in new valve stem seals and replace the valve(s) that need to be.  This won't cost as much as a new engine, and it will be MUCH MUCH easier and quicker.

Use a stock head gasket, no need for something fancy, plus your block is not being decked so it needs a head gasket that will fill in minor imperfections, were a metal one won't seal correctly.

Clean up the top of the block really well using razor blades. The single edged ones you get at a body shop supply place. 

Don't forget to change the oil before you start the car, it will have coolant in it and all sorts of crap too.  DO NOT START IT until you get fresh oil and filter in it and fill the cooling system.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

• 1990 laser
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »
heres the piston there oth the same picill try and get more if you need them...im just not use to imports i have rebilt motors befor but it was in a domestic truck so this is new to me...

[attachment deleted by admin]
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Joliesa Lepp

• 1993 tsi awd - big 16g, fmic, meth... head.
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:40 pm »
Oh man those look better than my pistons!!!  :D  I think you're golden, just follow John's advice.

And man our cars are "domestic imports" hehe.... jk. I'm sure if you play your cards right you'll have a lot of help getting it back together not to mention all the information you'll learn.
Outta the game!

• 1990 laser
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 07:13:03 pm »
yea im pritty happy with learning alot but putting the car back togher is going to be my big problem hahah but ill figure it out...i just need to find someone who knows howto do the wireing harness in them because i dont want to toutch it

...and by anychance do you know how much a valve would cost?
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:24 pm »
...and by anychance do you know how much a valve would cost?

Depends on the valve. $8.00 to like 20 something I believe. I just purchased Arnie Beckly or something apparently they are good. no complaints from me...knock on wood lol
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:16 pm »
Arnie Beckly LOL alot!!!  Close man, its Beck Arnley  :D

Stirling, rotate the engine to put the questionable piston to top dead center(all the way up,flush with the block deck).  Then wipe it off with some solvent and a rag. 

Take some more pics and set the camera to as clear and large a shot as you can.

It does look good tho, from here.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

• 1990 laser
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »
alright john ill get the pics as soon as i can it should be on here by tomorow
1990 plymouth laser

• 1990 laser
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »
heres a pic of the piston up close

[attachment deleted by admin]
1990 plymouth laser

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 10:08:18 pm »
yea just carefully pick out any of the old valve, then smooth out any rough edges of the impact areas.

• 1990 laser
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:02 pm »
wut do you think caused that...i think it was from my timeing being right off?
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 12:40:54 am »
most likely a worn valve guide.

exhaust valves will usually "burn" when the valve isnt sealing properlly and is starting to leak.

The valve not sealing properlly is usually caused by a worn valve guide. Definately have the valve guides checked at the machine shop.
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 05:33:22 pm »
a chunk of carbon sitting on a valve just once, can cause it to burn as well.  The heat has to be taken out of the valve by having it touch the head, where the heat is dissipated into the head and then the cooling system.

If the valve is slightly bent, or dirty, or like Chad said, you have crappy valve guides, this will happen.

it can also happen by having the car run lean, or run hot, or run with low timing.