Author Topic: Timing Belt went today... TURNS OUT MY HEAD IS OK!!!!!  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Re: Timing Belt went today... TURNS OUT MY HEAD IS OK!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 08:22:25 pm »
john iwish i read your post before i did the fix... took me 2 hours to rip it all apart down to square one and get it right. thank god
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »
ahh crap.  Oh well, live and learn Shane.

Chad, really glad to hear the head was ok, that was extremely lucky!!

Chad, as well, you don't have to rip it all apart, you can do like I said for the other post on the exhaust cam.

You will have to take the alt/ps/wp belts off and the full cover off, but you don't have to pull the whole timing belt if its just the balance belt out one tooth.  and you won't even need to pull the big center bolt for the crank.  If its the front balance shaft out of time, you can just loosen the balance belt tensioner(easy to do and reset) and time it correctly.  If its the back one, you can detension the timing belt and do that one.  the rear one might be trickier tho as its tighter in there.

now, if it was perfect at first but then went bad, I would make sure the tensioners and idlers and everything else is all good because something has changed in order for it to be bad the second time, such as something slipped or broke etc.  Make sure you absolutely know why you have a vibration and be sure its fixed.  you won't get so lucky on your second broken belt I don't think  ;)

Make sure you have the rear balance shaft in phase or no matter how properly you set the timing marks, it will vibrate badly.  2 ways to set it in phase.  the official way is to insert a screwdriver in the rear of the block(check VFAQ for bolt to pull) and if it goes in a little way or a long way, this determines if its in phase.  The unofficial and much easier and still very accurate way is to see if, when the belt is off the pulley, weather it rotates forward or backwards when the arrow is pointed at the timing mark.  If the arrow falls forward, its in phase, if it falls backwards, its out of phase, so turn it 1 turn.

There are alot of marks to line up, but get them all bang on.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 10:51:11 am »
I always preferred the screw driver method that way I was absolutely sure it was in phase.. I tried the spin the gear but I doubted myself on this (didn't want to pull the covers off for a second time! Just my 2 cents  :)
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 11:04:33 am »
The balance shaft are timed correctly....   I should have put thos another way...

but the oil pump is off from the balance shafts. In other word I should have stuck that stupid screw driver in but I was too lazy to pull of the downpipe so I could reach in there.

Im going to go with what VFAQ said and watch which way the oil pump sprocket turns when letting go.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 11:26:48 am »
Yeah thats the way i do it.  Put the oil sprocket at 12:00 and see which way it falls.  Should fall counter-clockwise if im not mistaken.  The vibration is for sure cuz your rear balance shaft is out of phase.  I have seen that happen before and it sure rattles the shit out of everything.

Definalty check everything thouroghly and make sure what cause the belt to slip off the time before to not happen again.  The rear balance shaft bearings have a habbit of wearing out faster (as it spins 2X or 4X faster then the crank spins).  If the oil pump sprocket feels stiff... or wont fall down to either side when you put it at 12:00 then chances are you have something wrong with your rear balance shaft bearings or your oil pump.

If your balance shaft bearings are gone then your looking at a big job.  I just had to do this on my DSM last year and it wasn't the funnest thing in the world.  At least i dont have to worry about balance shafts on my talon anymore...  but i do on my colt still :(  gotta take those out this year before they take my engine out!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 11:29:13 am »
the balance shafts are NOT timed correctly, hence the vibration.  They appear correct, but the rear one is out of phase.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »
Everything is working like clockwork now.... 

thank god its over and thank god I didnt blow my head.

Its a good thing I got in there when I did nyways cause my balance shaft belt was looking pretty rough and my old water pump started a slow leak around the gasket...

could of been bad...

1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost