Author Topic: Last-Minute Fuel-Pump Install Tips, Anyone?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Fred Cheng

Last-Minute Fuel-Pump Install Tips, Anyone?
« on: August 09, 2003, 03:00:15 am »
Hey guys,

I'm about to replace the factory fuelpump in my '96 TSi AWD with a Walbro 190lph one... I'm going to follow this VFAQ: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/pump-WB-2GAWD.html .    I'm wondering if any of you with experience can share any hints or tips with me... any of the bolts need Liquid-Wrench or anything like that?

I've kept my tank at near-empty, and I have a buddy coming over to give me a hand (literally)... Anything else?  About how long should I expect it to take?  Will gas seriously spill all over the place?!?

Thanks for your time, guys!

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Chao C. Yin

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 05:46:43 am »
make sure you have a BIG vicegrip or something like that in case the nut gives you a big fight.

Keep handy some WD40

Make sure you don't bent the skinny rod that holds the floater or your fuel gauge reading be off.

check the fuel pick up filter for dirt and stuff and clean it if needed

.......and NO SMOKING :twisted:

Offline chao hwa yin

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 06:44:08 am »
you will need this to break loose the oil line fitting

and dont over tighten bolts on the fuel pump cover.   my bro's eclipse had no luck when i swapped the walb/supra pump.  :laugh:
00+hp 93 laser moded MT AWD $6200 cad  <--- SOLD   I miss it.
320+hp 90 eclipse gsx moded MT AWD
100+hp 85 daily driver ae86 moded with weld diff SOLD
0.017+hp 2 yrs tabby cat with 4 paw real time posi-claw-traction
90 Toyota MR2 Turbo SOLD
96 Miata and i am on diet to fit in

Chao C. Yin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 06:47:45 am »
hmm...I wonder which "oil" line............ :wink:

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 12:31:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys!  I gotta remember that "no smoking" one... :P been pretty lucky at the gas station, lighting one up while filling'er up, but I guess I better not do that with fuel spilling all over the place, eh?!?   I never thought "flare-ups" would be a problem because I use the high-octane gasolines... :twisted:   heheheh

Now, who's got wrenches like that that I can borrow?  :)

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 01:28:33 pm »
You'll need a really big rag, no matter how much you depressureize your fuel system :P
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 04:11:29 pm »
Well, it's done!  And the car started up fine... can I assume everything's in order?

Also, should there be any change in the way the car drives from this fuel-pump upgrade without turning up the boost?  (I'm hoping to install my MBC later tonight, after we head out for dinner.)

Thanks alot for your help, guys!  A bit of feedback about the install (following that FAQ, using a Walbro 190lph pump in a '96 TSi AWD):

1) I only had 1/5 of a tank (max.) when I replaced the pump, so there was very minimal out-pouring of fuel when we undid the various fuel-lines; e.g. I used the bottom half of a 4L milk-jug to catch whatever fuel poured out from the bottom fitting, and after all was said and done, there wasn't even enough fuel in that catch-jug to cover the bottom of it with a thin layer of fuel...

2) We were lucky and were able to loosen the bottom fitting without the use of a crescent wrench without stripping anything (not by choice, but because I didn't have one).

3) We didn't have to cut any of the metal parts of the car around the fuelpump assembly (see FAQ).  The "crimping" of the line wasn't as bad as the FAQ has described.

4) When putting the assembly back into the car, it's easiest if you put the rubber ring into the opening before fitting the assembly back in, then tighten the white plastic ring to secure things in place.

5) I had an "install kit" with a new filter and cap, etc., and that made things a lot easier.

6) The black electrical harness off of the factory pump can be transferred over to the new one.

Hope that'll help future DIY'ers!  I noticed in the other threads that some of you might be attempting this in the near future.  :)

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 05:26:51 pm »
Quote from: "Fred Cheng"
Well, it's done!  And the car started up fine... can I assume everything's in order?

Also, should there be any change in the way the car drives from this fuel-pump upgrade without turning up the boost?  (I'm hoping to install my MBC later tonight, after we head out for dinner.)

Yeah, your car will be slower and probably hesitate down low since your running super rich now  :twisted:
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 05:29:26 pm »
Andrew, does that mean I should get that MBC in ASAP before I drive around?

What kinds of readings should I get on an EGT if I'm running super rich?

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 05:44:20 pm »
Quote from: "Fred Cheng"
Andrew, does that mean I should get that MBC in ASAP before I drive around?

What kinds of readings should I get on an EGT if I'm running super rich?

Fred

Nah, rasing boost won't do anything for lower end... I've been driving around super rich for about 3 months. The only way to lean out down low is with some fuel control, or porting your maf (several topics on this). As for EGTs, I see around 700*-800* while crusing. You can run hot from running rich or lean, just don't push it when it starts to get around 900*

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 06:41:32 pm »
Ooo... is that really "bad" for the car, then?!?

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Chao C. Yin

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 05:56:47 am »
Not really, if you put a super high-flow pump in with no fuel control it will just use more fuel, and maybe fouling your plugs quicker.  You may fail your aircare.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 11:55:01 am »
a 190 will not over run the stock pressure regulator.  A 255 won't even.  Only the 255HP will.  Before I got my Safc, I had a rewired 255.  I had 139 low fuel trim.  And thats at least 30% leaner than stock.  Ran great and got good mileage.

Your stock fuel pressure regulator will allow enough to flow back to the tank at idle/part throttle to allow it to run normally.  And at high throttle/boost, your Whinebro will allow the injectors to get as much as they need.

Now you can turn up your boost a bit, port your maf, and have more fun.  You should log it tho.

If you have an safc and logger, just set it all so that the trims are right and you have as least amout of knock as possible.

You can also get bigger injectors now, as the stock pump cannot push enough for bigger injectors unless you turn up the pressure with an aftermarket regulator.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 07:43:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Now, will I run into any AirCare problems with my current set-up?  I'd hate to fail it again and pay another $24 to retest... @#$%  :)

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---