Author Topic: Wheel Vibration  (Read 3452 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Wheel Vibration
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2002, 09:48:33 pm »
I have had the same issues and the possible solution:

- rim slightly bent
- Dunlop tires (known to have balancing "issues")
- slightly dragging caliper
- warped rotor from over-tightening lug nuts
- pad material buildup on rotor surface

-Kevin

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
Wheel Vibration
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2002, 10:02:17 pm »
I had the wheel vibrations once and I know how annoying it is.
All I did was rotate my tires.  This most likely was fixed due to improper lug nut torque rather than warped wheels.  I later bought front rotors and never had wheel shimmy since.  BUT, I'm now experiencing vibration again, and will try the tire rotation (new tires since last time) to solve the problem.

If you only get shimmy at 100-120km/h, just drive faster!!  :o
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Clark Lim

Wheel Vibration
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2002, 12:22:52 am »
Is it legal to drive 120+km/h in BC?  :)

I recently had the vibes as well around the same 110-120km/h range.  I got new tires (Pirelli P-Zeros) and it seems to have gone away.  Mind you I have too much negative camber and my previous set (Dunlop SP 8000) had patches worn so bad the steel belt was exposed so this could've been the problem.

Clark

NetBachelor

Wheel Vibration
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2002, 03:49:02 am »
I too also experience this problem right now.
I just got my 92 Laser last month, and I had tried to do the 4-wheel alignment and wheel balance. I even replace something called outer tire rod??.....but the problem is still there.
I was told by the shop that my front brake rotor needs to be replced.
I will replce my front rotor these days and keep u guys updated.
Maybe we can figure out what happens.

Stan Quan

Wheel Vibration
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2002, 12:59:29 pm »
I had a problem with wheel vibration also.  I had my tires balanced twice and it didn't resolve the problem.  My mechanic said I probably had wheel vibration.  I rotated my tires (front-to-back) and the vibration was minimized.  The suspect tire was on the rear now, and helped narrow my troubleshooting to a specific tire.  

I bought new tires and now I don't have any more wheel vibration.   :D

Stan Quan

Wheel Vibration
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2002, 03:43:56 pm »
Clarification...in my previous post I meant to say I had tire separation, which caused the wheel vibration.

Offline Mike Schmid

vibration
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2002, 11:18:19 am »
If you get a weird vibration after some suspension work of any sort pull those tires off and get a wrench on all the nuts and bolts to mke sure they're tight.  I had the axles out one time and put it all back together, ran it for a few days and took a hard corner one day and felt some weird shimmies and shakes so I went home and checked and sure enough the two big bolts (17mm head) holding the strut to the knuckle had come loose and were allowing alot of slop and dynamic camber adjusment...  :shock:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*