Author Topic: motor is f_cked!!  (Read 2780 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: motor is f_cked!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »
definately need a drill to spin the oil pump, and even then it takes a little bit to get some pressure up. 

Kevin, how does milling the head effect oil pressure?  Not saying you are wrong, I am just missing the logic here?  And the head studs too if you don't mind.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
When the motor died, I tried cranking the motor over and noticed my oil pressure gauge didn't go up at all. When I add up all the details that you guys had mentioned, it sounds to me like an oil pump failure probably caused a lack of oil in the head causing my cam to seize.

If the car had just died and the tbelt was already missing teeth I wouldn't think cranking it over with the starter would result in any significant oil pressure since the pump is driven by the belt.

Confirm your pump gear matched the case. You can use one of the gears with both revision of cases but not the other way around.
But in saying that, the oil pump failures that I know of caused bottom end damage first and not just in the head.
Kristopher

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
From working at evolution i came upon this neat tidbit of info that i never knew before.

On 4g63's they use a passage around one of the left front headstuds to provide oil flow to the head..   There is a chamfered area of the head that allowes the oil to flow from the port in the block, through the passageway around the area in the head stud and to the oil galleries.

When we did a 7 bolt head on a 6 bolt block we actually had to drill out the holes in the head to be able to allow for enough room for the oil to flow through the passage way on that peticular hole.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline yan tang

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »
Your starting on it on Thursday night? You working Friday or just thurs/fri night?

Text me, I can make time to help most likely
I don't work thurs and fri so I'll most likely be at it all day. And when I was cranking it, I just gave it a couple of blips with the key, but when I heard a crunching noise I stopped.
11.01 @132mph with 489hp 389tq fp3052 (with shifting issues)
11.08 @ 123mph with 395hp 350tq hta68 daily driver

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:01 pm »
Your starting on it on Thursday night? You working Friday or just thurs/fri night?

Text me, I can make time to help most likely
I don't work thurs and fri so I'll most likely be at it all day. And when I was cranking it, I just gave it a couple of blips with the key, but when I heard a crunching noise I stopped.

You buy foo and I'll see if I can get Friday off to come wrench

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »
How much is Mr Foo worth these days/

:D
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »
How much is Mr Foo worth these days/

:D

I've heard a rumour it's about 5 margaritas.

I have company this weekend or else I'd definitely swing by. I love that kind of club spirit :D
Kristopher

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »
Fooooooood

Offline yan tang

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 11:24:27 pm »
Fooooooood
What kind of food do you like? Let me know so I can get the wife on it.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
You guys are scaring me with stories of built motors destroying themselves.
Come to think of it I had a topline pump that started to squeal and timing belt jumped a couple..
Cost two valves,,,oem oil pump....milled down full length oil pump shaft.
I have detonated the engine lots when the meth fail to flow.....
Got lucky I guess.....Weisco pistons and billet rods still holding out...
The AEM with the 1g knock sensor seems to be able to protect the motor..
Sorry about your motor Yan.....
Gonna to count my blessings and not whine about all the maintenance work required on a built dsm setup.

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline yan tang

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
You guys are scaring me with stories of built motors destroying themselves.
Come to think of it I had a topline pump that started to squeal and timing belt jumped a couple..
Cost two valves,,,oem oil pump....milled down full length oil pump shaft.
I have detonated the engine lots when the meth fail to flow.....
Got lucky I guess.....Weisco pistons and billet rods still holding out...
The AEM with the 1g knock sensor seems to be able to protect the motor..
Sorry about your motor Yan.....
Gonna to count my blessings and not whine about all the maintenance work required on a built dsm setup.

Shit happens i guess. I'm gonna stick with the stock stuff for now cuz it's tried and true. I don't have ridiculous pwr goals. I'd be happy with 350-400 with minimal lag. I was enjoying a high 300 hp setup very much. I was still almost able to go 10's with it. How much faster does a street car really need to be?

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 01:33:55 am »
Fooooooood
What kind of food do you like? Let me know so I can get the wife on it.

Let me make sure. Can get Friday off first, I'll text you, pm me your number, think the one I have is old

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 01:34:44 am »

Brett explained it better than me, but here's a pic of a 2g head (stolen from t00ners):

Mill the head down much, or put a wider stud through there, and the oil flow to the head is reduced.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »
AHHHHH, that little "hairpin corner" area gets too thin. 

Thanx.  tis a good day when you can learn something  :D

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »
Do the oil port mod. I did.

Here is a article about it.

http://forums.ds-map.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=796
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."