Author Topic: Real shitty gas milage - something wrong!?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Real shitty gas milage - something wrong!?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:38:33 pm »
ah shit, yeah i was mixed up and thinking about obd1 vs odb2 and then on to obd4a,,but i was refuring to the rear muffler bearings blocking off exhuast flow causing exsessive backpressure not the rear o2 shorting out the front o2 signal with RF interference...he shoudl probably just buy a modis and go into mode $06 and check shit out and find the patriculate diesel filter operation is with code limits rememeber to refur to the conversion tables tho as the data is skewed. .  with this he might be able to solve his crappy power issues , oopsies!!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:44:49 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:59 pm »
ah shit, yeah i was mixed up and thinking about obd1 vs odb2 and then on to obd4a,,but i was refuring to the rear muffler bearings blocking off exhuast flow causing exsessive backpressure not the rear o2 shorting out the front o2 signal with RF interference...he shoudl probably just buy a modis and go into mode $06 and check shit out and find the patriculate diesel filter operation is with code limits rememeber to refur to the conversion tables tho as the data is skewed. .  with this he might be able to solve his crappy power issues , oopsies!!

Ok I chuckled.

He could just install a turbo-nator.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:02:17 pm »
I do 94 octane from either Husky or Mohawk...and I never get more that 290km out of it. Roughly $47-$55 every fifth day.

So if I fill up from empty on Monday morning, I'm refilling on Friday morning. It's been this way for years. I just don't believe when you guys tell me you get 400+

I have stock fuel system, with a T28, and full exhaust and dp, 3" from the turbo back.
I'm curious as to how you guys get better mileage with bigger injectors, bigger turbos? Even if you are tuned very nicely....bigger injectors mean more gas.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »
I do 94 octane from either Husky or Mohawk...and I never get more that 290km out of it. Roughly $47-$55 every fifth day.

So if I fill up from empty on Monday morning, I'm refilling on Friday morning. It's been this way for years. I just don't believe when you guys tell me you get 400+

I have stock fuel system, with a T28, and full exhaust and dp, 3" from the turbo back.
I'm curious as to how you guys get better mileage with bigger injectors, bigger turbos? Even if you are tuned very nicely....bigger injectors mean more gas.

Highway versus city is why theirs such a big difference!

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »
More accurate update: I filled up 47L yesterday at 154.5miles (248.5km) - The fuel light did not go on yet - I would assume it can still go to 160-170 before it goes on.

Therefore I am getting roughly 12mpg.  Sucks when your friend says even their 400hp V8 Camaro has better milage than your 4 banger ~  :'(

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »
pro tip: don't buy/buy modify an all wheel drive turbo car for its fuel economy :p

She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:23 pm »

Highway versus city is why theirs such a big difference!

I do both...70% of my commute is highway.

pro tip: don't buy/buy modify an all wheel drive turbo car for its fuel economy :p

Thanks but I know that already, I'm not looking for economy, I'm just wondering how someone with bigger injectors, bigger turbo can get better gas mileage than stock fuel system and a T28. If you can't answer that just say so.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:00:10 pm by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:17 pm »
and remember ryan, your car is autotragic  They do not get as good gas mileage as the 5-speed cars.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:18 pm »

ya was echo'ing hartman there  :P
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 08:26:28 pm »
I'd talk to lowell if I were you. Regardless how much more mileage do you think you can really get? A few mpg's isn't enough to make me give up any power, If I were you i would invest in a more economical commuter, save the dsm for nights and weekends. I love my beemer for commuting, gets really good gas mileage, and keeps me in style, fun to drive too.
Everyone here should have a parts getter!
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 08:28:45 pm »
HAHAHa  i have like 5 "parts getters"

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 11:59:48 pm »
Thanks but I know that already, I'm not looking for economy, I'm just wondering how someone with bigger injectors, bigger turbo can get better gas mileage than stock fuel system and a T28. If you can't answer that just say so.

I don't think a bigger turbo and bigger injectors would affect gas mileage very much.

I only see a few obvious variables assuming proper functioning of the engine management, sensors, and injectors:
- extra parasitic drag (automatic transmission, AWD vs FWD, high rolling resistance tires, dragging brakes, bad wheel bearings)
- compression
- displacement changes (2.0 vs. 2.4)
- VE differences (intake, exhaust, head restrictions)

I would think a well modified DSM could beat a stock one as we often work to gain higher compression, better VE, and less aggressive fuelling at medium loading.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 08:14:55 am »
I guess im the exception to the rule, proper tuning, good driving and good maintenance can mean good MPG in a AWD DSM.

My 2G with 240awhp on a day to day basis got me MINIMUM 300 MILES to a tank.
With alot of highway driving and city driving I averaged 400-450 MILES to a tank.
If I ripped it alot, I'd still get 300 Miles Minimum and we know my car wasnt stock.

Richard Clark would have to tell you guys if he got the same results as I did when I sold it to him.

btw Ryan, Never use Mohawk or Husky gas. It burns way to fast. Even in my old Civic hatch back i'd lose 50-80k per tank.
I don't care if you think you're saving a buck or 2 because they offer premium at low grade costs. Youre losing money in the long run.

In my Acura, I get 400-450kms to a tank (45L Tank) w/ my b18c5 (197hp)

88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 09:38:36 am »
im pretty sure with mine i get roughly 200-250 to a tank  plus a jug of meth
1992 talon tsi

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »
I guess im the exception to the rule, proper tuning, good driving and good maintenance can mean good MPG in a AWD DSM.

My 2G with 240awhp on a day to day basis got me MINIMUM 300 MILES to a tank.
With alot of highway driving and city driving I averaged 400-450 MILES to a tank.
If I ripped it alot, I'd still get 300 Miles Minimum and we know my car wasnt stock.

Richard Clark would have to tell you guys if he got the same results as I did when I sold it to him.

btw Ryan, Never use Mohawk or Husky gas. It burns way to fast. Even in my old Civic hatch back i'd lose 50-80k per tank.
I don't care if you think you're saving a buck or 2 because they offer premium at low grade costs. Youre losing money in the long run.

In my Acura, I get 400-450kms to a tank (45L Tank) w/ my b18c5 (197hp)

You're not the exception - Myself, John, Lowell and probably others all get/got great mileage on 300 whp+ cars. Better than stock from what I've seen them post about their mileage
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.