Author Topic: Before and After Meth results.  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

Before and After Meth results.
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »
I am YET to get a kit on my car. But if you already have a kit or HAVE had a kit, you've seen results. And Im sure theres someone making more power than you with the exact same kit running the exact same boost. What kind of kit are you running? peak hp  B4 + AFTER + supporting mods.
Next Q - progressive or not progressive? what do you think?
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Re: Before and After Meth results.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »
I'm using a devils own non-progressive kit, set to turn on at 15psi.

I gained about 40hp and 35ft/lb by having the car tuned properly for the meth.

I'm running 20psi, with a GT30-10 turbo.  Also running a fairly small nozzle, a D05 which is around 400ishcc, before the throttle body.
For a comparison, when dyno tuning we went up one nozzle size and i gained 14hp.

I'd almost consider going with the progressive kit now, but didn't have the coin at the time.
P.S. i'm also running 100% Meth
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:02:16 pm by Dan Harshey »
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »
Cool man. Very informative since were running the same turbo. Ide be happy with those results. The reason Im up in arms about a progressive kit is because I dont know how often I peak in and out of boost enough to find it useful... I understand I have to spool this thing before I move but after that I pretty much granny it.    until the coast is clear.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
I also wonder what kind of results you would see from an additional nozzle pre turbo.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:57:02 pm »
I don't see the need for a progressive controller. I have 2 nozzles at the TB, a DO10 and a DO7, and one before the turbo a DO7. both come on between 10 and 15psi. I can't say what the gains were as I have done too many other things to pin it down to just that. a DO7 is 441cc/min.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:47:11 pm »
impressive. And for every person that doesnt like progressive there seems to be a person that swears by it. I think i may go with the standard on/off setup.

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:09 pm »
either hobbs or progressive controllers work great depending on how you look at it (and even your budget - if there is one)

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »
either hobbs or progressive controllers work great depending on how you look at it (and even your budget - if there is one)

Sometimes the only thing you can do is just look at it
1992 talon tsi

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »
i wont lie...  i laughed .   but i would ball kick that "just look at it" guy in real life.

Im thinking of going with a hobb's switch. they are super cheap.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »
anyone using a on/off style meth setup.. have you noticed a hard to tune spot where the transition is?  like does it sputter for a sec with all the meth on at once like that compared to a progressive one?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
that has been one of my main concerns the whole time.  when im boosting I dont mind a jolt when the meth kicks in,  but I dont want a hiccup lol 

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
it absolutely does NOT sputter or flat spot or anything.  Its just seemless really. 

Maybe with straight water or 75% water/25% methanol it might because if you add too much water it won't burn, but with at least 50/50 I have never seen an issue with that at all.

I have had one small nozzle, 2 small nozzles, one large nozzle, 2 large nozzles, and 2 large and one medium nozzle(current).  I have had one and two post turbo, but after the bov and intercooler, and now I have that plus a pre turbo one. 

Keep the pre turbo nozzle small and have good pressure so that the atomization is very good.  This keeps large drops from hitting your compressor blades as they spin upwards of 120,000 rpm.  Remember, liquid does not compress ;)

Also a higher pressure pump is a good idea for better atomization and flow.  Plus the larger more modern pumps can handle more flow too, for you who run lots of large nozzles.

My results have been VERY good with this.  I can't give you a figure, but I got nearly a full second improvement on the 1/4 mile track when still on the 14b from adding a single medium nozzle(0.7mm Aquamist) post turbo.

Also, with my current setup, I can't run over about 10-12 psi and about 60% throttle or I get knock.  I can floor it at 26psi with the methanol.

Also I am running blue bug juice currently, with good results.  With no pre turbo nozzle, I had to run pure methanol and only managed max of 22 psi.

I have also considerably leaned out the fuel map since the pre turbo setup as well, and especially the transition area(boost coming on and no methanol/water injection happening yet)  It was VERY rich.

Another advantage to running water/methanol is that your intake manifold, intake valves and piston tops will be steam cleaned.  the exhaust valves get some help too and so does the chamber part of the head.

With just methanol and richer mixtures, my freshly rebuilt engine, that I painstakingly cleaned the head and pistons, already had carbon flakes/buildup on.

As for on/off, or progressive, I find the on/off is just fine.

Set it to come on when you need it.  If you start to get knock at 3800 and 15psi, then have it set to spray at 3700 and 13 psi.  For example.  It works very well.

Progressive would work fine too I am sure and would give you more options and more to play around with, but if you don't have the money, or just don't need the extra complexity, a good adjustable boost switch works just fine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:59 pm »
i'm going with a snow performance kit because of the fail safes, if you're scared about aggressive tuning and pump fails.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »
Dan - How much power are you making with your setup? Im also interested in running meth at a higher boost range like your 15psi.  The car already will spin until I hit third. I definitely need to lower the 2step which I had set to 5500rpm haha. fun. Im hoping to pick up a 250psi pump and run a big nozzle. Ill start with one and consider a pre turbo nozzle. John - 5 more pounds sounds good. lol.  Im sick of playin around with stupid little tasks on the car. Im determined to get this thing track ready.  Ive got a bit of a list but determination takes you a long way....  until you find cheetos.    and beer.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:10:11 am by Jordan Kruger »

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »
I don't have any dyno numbers to play with, and am running a very mild setup - Still on the 14b.

I've currently got a small 250cc/min nozzle post turbo, about 14" before the intake manifold. Quells knock fairly well - After upgrading injectors 'n' stuff, I need to move to a larger - 450 or 500 cc/min nozzle.

I've found that I'm still getting knock on tip-in, and I believe it's a function of the pump and system. Ideally, if I did it all again, I'd build a pressurized system with an injector(s). The quicker delivery, as an autocrosser, would help when I'm in and out of the throttle often.

I'm running 50/50, and it's actuated via my boost controller (Turbosmart eBoost2).

To help figure out sizing, I found this helpful:
http://www.customperformancesolutions.com/waterinjectioncalc/
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV