Author Topic: starter/wiring issues  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Graeme H Burvill

Re: starter/wiring issues
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:25 pm »
This is stumping me and i don't like it, i have never cursed Germans so much before... So I can definately hear my fuel pump going, but for some reason voltage is not being allowed to turn the starter over, or give me injector pulse when bump starting. And possibly not giving me spark either. I'm gunna go re do my main battery ground, even though i know its fine. Basically went around this morning redoing any grounds I could see, Crawling around everywhere looking for bad wiring. Like remi said there isn't a whole lot to the e30, but im only first year and this electrical stuff is tricky. I have pulled out my school books a few times :)
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »
This is stumping me and i don't like it, i have never cursed Germans so much before... So I can definately hear my fuel pump going, but for some reason voltage is not being allowed to turn the starter over, or give me injector pulse when bump starting. And possibly not giving me spark either. I'm gunna go re do my main battery ground, even though i know its fine. Basically went around this morning redoing any grounds I could see, Crawling around everywhere looking for bad wiring. Like remi said there isn't a whole lot to the e30, but im only first year and this electrical stuff is tricky. I have pulled out my school books a few times :)

you have an m20, correct? I think the crank position sensors are known to go bad, might be worth checking.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 12:41:37 pm »
I may just grab a starter next week anyways. I'm pretty sure this unit is the original starter. Not saying its bad yet, but it will be one day. Until then i will keep testing.

25 year old starter? you said your still getting power when the key is turned to accessorie? if you turn it does everything just go out or dim? no clicking or anything from the starter? explain your exact symptoms. dont worry about not being able to bomb start it at this point. just your other symptoms.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 12:55:04 pm »
Turn the key and I get nothing, havn't noticed anything else going dim. i can hear the fuel pump going. Again when i jump the starter terminals i get a spinning/whirring sound from the solenoid but no engagement from the starter motor. Almost like the over running clutch is slipping. Yes it's an m20. I found the crank position sensor but dont know how to test it (just look for 12v at the sensor when the key is on?) Testing relays again i noticed a few relays get 12v across 2 of the 4 pin slots but not across the other two. not sure if that is normal.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 01:01:24 pm »
Turn the key and I get nothing, havn't noticed anything else going dim. i can hear the fuel pump going. Again when i jump the starter terminals i get a spinning/whirring sound from the solenoid but no engagement from the starter motor. Almost like the over running clutch is slipping. Yes it's an m20. I found the crank position sensor but dont know how to test it (just look for 12v at the sensor when the key is on?) Testing relays again i noticed a few relays get 12v across 2 of the 4 pin slots but not across the other two. not sure if that is normal.

there is usually a range of resistance that they have when there is no power supplied to them. if its in a certain range they are fine, if they are out of that range they either need to be adjusted or they are hooped.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 01:08:56 pm »
If my battery was low and i had an engine start hooked up to it, would it not crank if the battery was too low? It's like a 50A charge going in to the battery. Either way battery is on the charger right now. Though i have about 12.46v at the battery, was at 12.6 a few days ago, musta run it down a bit with all the testing. Don't have any load tester avalible to me though.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
So for fun i just tested the ignition coil. According to the manual I remove the wires from the unit and then hook up an ohmmeter to the terminals. i am supposed to get a small resistance from it. Which I am not getting. If the unit was faulty would this cause the starter to not kick?

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 01:33:49 pm »
So for fun i just tested the ignition coil. According to the manual I remove the wires from the unit and then hook up an ohmmeter to the terminals. i am supposed to get a small resistance from it. Which I am not getting. If the unit was faulty would this cause the starter to not kick?

no

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 01:36:28 pm »
:(...Damn you remi!!!!!!!

:P Guess i'll keep plugging away then...

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »

could explain why your car is not bomb starting though. if the ignition coil is bad its not sending power to your plugs........no fire, no bbq.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

could explain why your car is not bomb starting though. if the ignition coil is bad its not sending power to your plugs........no fire, no bbq.

Indeed, but you are right - he should make sure he's got a good starter first, otherwise no point in figuring out the rest.

I also feel silly for not mentioning this earlier but did you check to make sure your battery terminals are both clean and tight?

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:48 pm »
Yea terminals are all good.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 04:04:13 pm »
Yea terminals are all good.

i am really begining to just suspect your starter guy.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 04:33:39 pm »
Yeah, i mean being that it is so old. i can get a used unit for 65 bucks and a used coil from 25$, both tested good and are in good condition from the bimmer salvage in duncan. So I will keep testing until payday.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:49 pm »
Well still waiting on a starter but I have pulled the old one out. Wow what a job. I've heard the top bolt on the e30 starter is the hardest bolt to access on the car. Thats no lie.