Author Topic: starter/wiring issues  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Graeme H Burvill

Re: starter/wiring issues
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2011, 03:33:15 pm »
so after further research, i should be able to crank with just the black/yellow getting power. However I give it power and I get nothing at the starter. noticed a bank of fuses aren't getting power, so i may open up the fuse box and see if there is a bad connection there.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 05:27:28 pm »
ahh, good job.

See, all we can do across the internet is help you, assuming everything but what you are talking about is ok.

If you find something relevant like that, most likely that will be your issue.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2011, 05:33:16 pm »
I opened it up and it looks good in there. So must be between the box and the main connector inside. Going to back probe the main harness connector right now. brb!

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2011, 05:42:40 pm »
main harness seems ok, however i was playing with the fuses. Seems only a few arn't getting power to their circuit. My fog lights are part of that so I am going to try and find a diagram that will lay that circuit out for me and maybe give me a clue of how this is all connected.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
i hate my life btw

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »
so just an update, i have given up on the ignition switch as it has been bypassed and I have still had no luck. The fog light circuit is fine, my high beam switch was on which is why it wasn't getting power the other couple of fuses are for A/C which I don't have. I swapped the ecu over with an extra one i have, nothing. basically spent today soldering back all the wires i spliced in to and putting the car back together. Need a new approach.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »
After talking to the guys at work I realized the clutch switch/neutral safety switch has been bypassed in this car. If something has come apart perhaps that is where my issue lies.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:31 pm »
After talking to the guys at work I realized the clutch switch/neutral safety switch has been bypassed in this car. If something has come apart perhaps that is where my issue lies.

God good I hope so for your sake because at this point the only remaining troubleshooting step is to start testing circuits one by one!
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
K so i got her running again. turns out there are two identicle small terminals on my starter, one is located underneath the solenoid the other is in the proper place on the top with all the other wiring. My previous starter ran off the top terminal, it seems this starter runs off the bottom terminal. Why there are two terminals I don't know as the other one is not used, why this starter runs off a different terminal than my previous one I don't know. All I know is I can drive to work tomorrow. :) Thanks for all the help guys!

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2011, 11:09:44 pm »
Way to stick with it Graeme.  That patience will make you a great journeyman mechanic  8)
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:08 pm »
hopefully he can diagnose the next one a bit quicker tho  :D
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »

Don't feel to bad, I had the same issue with an alternator that also had multiple posts that were not on the original, and it cost me  almost 100$ in just fuses...
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:48 pm »
i believe they call it the learning curve.