Author Topic: Surging Idle  (Read 2753 times)

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
Re: Surging Idle
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »
THe blacktop cas was only availible on a 94 1G car specifically... but it also was used on the evo I-III and maybe the GVR4 as well.
Good to know, I will look into pricing of a 94 blacktop CAS.

Yay my idle surge is back again, looks like I will have to start testing my TPS

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »
THe blacktop cas was only availible on a 94 1G car specifically... but it also was used on the evo I-III and maybe the GVR4 as well.
Good to know, I will look into pricing of a 94 blacktop CAS.

Yay my idle surge is back again, looks like I will have to start testing my TPS

just get used to it, mines been like that going on three years now.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 08:26:09 pm »
Have you even looked at all at your fast idle air valve?  Seriously.  This is the actual cause of many many many cases, (probably 90%) of DSM idle surge.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »
yup!!  doooo it!!! common, stop procrastinating!! just DOOO it!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 11:09:29 pm »
You guys told me to check the TPS first! Lol.

In all honesty, I haven't had more then 15 mins here and there to take a peek under the hood.
Its coming down to exam times in school and I have 4 essays and 1 research project due on top of 5 final exams haha. I hope to dedicate some solid time to it over the holidays

What exactly am I looking for in the FIAV anyway, its just a bunch of holes and ports?

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 07:35:52 am »
the FIAV is more difficult to do then the TPS.  You have to remove the whole throttle body to be able to access it, and take it apart.
What are you looking for on a DSM FIAV... well ask john hartman that one...  cuz i have no clue.. I know its a thermostatic wax pellet inside that opens/closes a air bypass that allows the idle to come up under cold conditions... so i guess if it flows too much air... not sure on how you could tell that tho...  besides blocking it off (which also blocks off the IAC port as well unless you get tricky with your block off plate or use JB weld to just block off the FIAV ports and seeing if it idles nomal after the block off..

good luck ahahha

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 12:46:09 pm »
so the fix for this stuff is to just block it off?
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 05:22:56 pm »
Yeah the blockoff plates are cheap, but this car doesn't even have the coolant lines going to the TB so it may already be blocked off.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
Yeah the blockoff plates are cheap, but this car doesn't even have the coolant lines going to the TB so it may already be blocked off.
Not having cooling lines to the TB can create issues if it is not blocked off.. I made my block plate with a pop can ...(I have since misplaced my template).
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »
I'm sure if it was blocked off andrew would have said something about it...   Lots of people just bypass the coolant lines and leave the faiv.

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »
due to my injuries i had RG put the last bits on and a base tune.  im sure lowell would have mentioned something during the head install if it wasnt going to run proper.  unfortunately i have no clue if its blocked off or not. 

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
I'm sure if it was blocked off andrew would have said something about it...   Lots of people just bypass the coolant lines and leave the faiv.

Where do people usually bypass the lines to?
I was trying to even find the lines being looped or tied, but wasn't having luck seeing anything.

I'll probably just order a plate as I assume it was left, who makes a great/cheap bypass plate?
I have found these guys so far:
http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p114443/JM-Fabrications-DSM-Aluminum-FIAV-Bypass-Plate-/product_info.html

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:55:47 pm »
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:13 pm »
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline BrandonDouglas

• My pictures
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:27 pm »
that was block off, and this is bypass

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAV-Bypass-Plate-Talon-DSM-Eclipse-Laser-4G63-/180569531109
Awesome thanks, I'll look into that one, I just found it on Ebay, this one is UK lol.