Author Topic: Problems shifting into 3rd  (Read 794 times)

Offline Clayton Ulmer

Problems shifting into 3rd
« on: September 27, 2003, 05:40:24 pm »
This happens everytime that i race my car.  I can not shift into 3rd gear.  It doesnt grind, but it feels like it is hitting something instead of going into gear.  Usually it takes me a second try to get it in, making me so fustrated and ticked off cause i can almost never get a good run at the track.  If anyone has any advice on what this is or how to fix it, I would be greatful.
Sorry if i didnt explain it to well, but i dont really know how to.
   Clayton Ulmer
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 06:10:41 pm »
hey hey, same problem here. I can still force mine into third if I push it hard though, it just grinds like a banshee. 90 plymouth laser, gm syncromesh, all the other gears are fine. anyone, any ideas?
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 08:02:22 pm »
Yeah, your syncros are probably shot :(
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 09:00:47 pm »
crappy deal.

Kevin, change yours from GM synchromesh, I had it in, and HATED it.

Go with MTL/MT90.  Hell even the stock oil from Satan is WAY better than the GM stuff, at least for my car.  I really could barely drive mine with the GM stuff in there.

Clayton, adjust your shifter cables, and pedal, bleed the fluid (or even replace all of it by bleeding it till it is all fresh).  If that doesn't work, change your master and slave.  It is only a bit over $100 for both.  Car was much better after I did all this stuff.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Clayton Ulmer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 12:26:21 am »
Like i said, my gears dont grind, so i dont think its the synchros.  i think my master is leaking a bit so will get that done.  i will also switch to synthetic.
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 07:15:41 am »
the stock oil from Mitsu is synthetic, but it can't hurt to change old oil anyway.

You can check for leaks from the master by looking at the rod under the dash, above the pedals.  If you see oily crud, its leaking.

but like I said, do both cylinders, they are cheap, and bleed all the old fluid out of the line too.  All new fluid means no contamination, and better hydraulic action.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Ryan O'Rourke

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 12:28:50 pm »
Hate to steal your thunder here clay (instead of offering advice :P) but i have a similar problem, thgouht i would mention it

Shifting into second gear, its very "tempermental".. unless i time the rpms right or double clutch it grinds... If the cars cold (first thing in the am) then it doesnt want to shift into 2nd without some kind of grind regardless of double clutching, rpm timing etc (i always just skip 2nd gaer and go to 3rd for the first 5 mins of drivin :?) My one friend suggested it could be the synchros..and/or if im lucky, i can drain and refill the tranny and that might help...
If so, how the hell do you drain adn refill the tranny oil... and how much would it cost to get the "synchros" replaced/repaired?? (i know absolutley feck all about trannys, does it show? :P)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 08:14:08 pm »
Ryan, do what I told the other guy to do. It is a good investment, and chances are your parts are on thier last legs anyway.  

It's gonna be about $120 including the oil for the tranny, but its cheaper than getting the tranny rebuilt and then finding that it still grinds because your clutch was not releasing fully due to bad master/slave cyl :P

Offline Ryan O'Rourke

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 09:29:00 pm »
crap.. didnt even see that.. thanks john lol

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 11:33:36 am »
I used to have problems with 2nd, 3rd, and reverse grinding.
I limited it to just third after replacing fluid, both cylinders, massive amounts of clutch bleeding and adjustment, and adjusting the shifter cables. Definitely do those things before a tranny rebuild.
Have fun  :D
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...