Author Topic: so i was having that 5th gear movement problem....  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
so i was having that 5th gear movement problem....
« on: September 29, 2003, 01:26:44 am »
the one that makes the shifter move back and forth and sometimes pop into neutral while in 5th gear? well i finally did some research on it, found out its REALLY bad and that trannies have blown apart from that problem so i found the fix on the net and sent my car and instructions to Jordan while I was at work..

The bolt inside the tranny that comes loose was already against the tranny wall and had put a half circle crack in it... it was also slowly leaking fluid over the past few days... so jord JB-Welded the crack and let it dry, re-assembled the parts and now  days later after alot of hard driving she's just perfect... the crack is still sealed and holding and it shifts great...

close call eh? for anyone who has this 5th gear problem, get it fixed ASAP! a few more days and my tranny would have been toast!
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Re: so i was having that 5th gear movement problem....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 09:35:48 am »
Quote from: "Jared Clark"
the one that makes the shifter move back and forth and sometimes pop into neutral while in 5th gear? well i finally did some research on it, found out its REALLY bad and that trannies have blown apart from that problem so i found the fix on the net and sent my car and instructions to Jordan while I was at work..

The bolt inside the tranny that comes loose was already against the tranny wall and had put a half circle crack in it... it was also slowly leaking fluid over the past few days... so jord JB-Welded the crack and let it dry, re-assembled the parts and now  days later after alot of hard driving she's just perfect... the crack is still sealed and holding and it shifts great...

close call eh? for anyone who has this 5th gear problem, get it fixed ASAP! a few more days and my tranny would have been toast!

Care to share the links regarding this problem so others can read up as well?
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Steve Candida

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 11:38:48 am »
Well im having a similar problem, but it doesnt exatly pop into neutral it just pops out of 5th gear a bit, not totally into neutral, and it seems to only do it sometimes, like when the car is cold. Think its the same thing?

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 01:17:30 pm »
Most likely...just pop the tranny end cover off on the passenger side fender well.  It's worth the time to check.

Offline Flavian Goh

5th gear
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 07:25:52 pm »
I still waiting fer all the seals I'm gonna replace from mitsui for my clutch, bushing, crankshaft etc...and I happen to open that passenger tranny cover just to take a peek. Seems everything is in place and tight physically and visually. Is there something specfic I gonna look and check  for this 5th gear problem?

Anonymous

URL
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 07:46:10 pm »

Offline Flavian Goh

Bolt
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 08:29:28 pm »
Nice! thanks for the link

Chris Clark

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 07:38:11 pm »
Jared, would it go all the way into gear, then kind of slide back when you applied the throttle?

Edit: When I read the link it is the problem I am having, thanks for the link  :)