Author Topic: MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!  (Read 1274 times)

Graeme Shaw

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« on: October 18, 2003, 12:02:37 am »
I'd swear, but it'd just make more work for Andrew :\

So, here's the deal.  After FINALLY passing aircare, my car decided to die.  And not in a nice little "I'm not going to start today" kind of way, no.  More like the dramatic "Hey, let's suddenly lose ALL OIL IN THE CAR while you're 3/4 of the way home?"

So yeah.  Didn't get a chance to look at anything (not enough light) aside from the dipstick...which showed totally empty.

The car had been running fine all day, and for the past few ones, but today...

I was driving home from UBC with some friends, and decided to school a Base RSX.  So I revved up nicely into third...and realized suddenly my oil light was on.  I backed off, staying below 3000, but as I let up the throttle to shift to another gear (not sure which gear) It stalled.  I started it again, and suddenly, my car began sounding more and more like a diesel.  So now, I have no oil, and I'm just coasting.  I had to start it 3x more just to get it to somwhere I can park it.  SO my car now sits in the parking lot of the Rupert Superstore until I can get it towed tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much damage was done?  Or how it could have happened?  I hadn't checked hte oil recently (although it was changed recently) but the gauge was reading normal...Any ideas on what happened?

I just...argh.  Looks like the insurance money I had is going to repairs...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 12:30:34 am »
Could be many things. First find out where the oil went. Check then engine bay, check under the car, check your radiator for brown sludge. If you don't immediately see a problem put more oil in and start it up and see what happens. You might not even need a tow. Let it run for a few minutes and then check the oil again. The running without oil will surely shorten the life of everthing very quickly but hopefully you will be lucky.

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 03:08:42 am »
check the oil filter... is it loose and is there oil everyhwere?
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Kimyee Lai

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 03:29:00 am »
Yeah, it sounds like you might be a candidate of the dreaded oil filter mount rod nut coming loose.  Like Jared said, your oil filter is probably loose, and that's the most likely cause I could think of for you to suddenly lose your oil.  

Running you engine w/o oil...aie...not a good thing.  If you had just left it at the road side it would have been better.  If it stalled, that means the lack of lubrication was generating enough friction for the car to stall!!!!  It's probably not a good thing.  I would definately not have started the car again, and just have it towed from the roadside.  Hopefully it wasn't anything too major.  I'd put in some fresh oil AND filter, run it for a while, drain the oil and cut open the filter (and old filter) and check for metal fragments...good luck!

Graeme Shaw

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 09:13:09 am »
Oyez...

So having NOT read this stuff, here's an update...

Last night, a friend drove me back to my car, where I dumped in 3L of oil, tried to crank it, no luck, lots of swearing.

Today, stopped by to pick up some stuff from my car, decided to crank it just for the hell of it.  Started up with a little labourious cranking, and then...about 10 secs in, I hear this splash of liquid on to cement, not unlike the sound of someone vomiting.  I KILL THE ENGINE INSTANTLY, and look out...

Coming from towards the front of the engine bay, driver's side, the oil's all poured out.  Shit.

On the plus side, my engine didn't seize.  Gotta take it somewhere, now though...

Offline Jordan Gladman

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 09:25:58 am »
Sounds like an oil filter prob to me.

Offline John Hartman

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 10:34:38 am »
God that sounds SCARY!!  Really scary.

I agree tho, with those symptoms, no starting it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Standeven

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 12:59:17 pm »
your car is so sick it's vomitting :shock:

best of luck, hopefully it's simple and there was no damage
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 02:21:50 pm »
good luck with that man, hope its okay.... I know I'd be pulling my hair out!
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Graeme Shaw

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 03:30:50 pm »
New update....got my car towed to the local BCAA shop (any port in a storm)  While I was waiting for the tow truck, I looked in the engine bay...there was oil EVERYWHERE around the filter.  Sprayed on the rad, the block...everywhere.  The shop took it, and was like "well, we'll let you know what we find"

I told them to check how bad the damage (if there was damage) was, but NOT to fix anything, 'cause if I need a new bottom end, I might as well go all out and find me a good-condition 6-bolt, right?

Argh....this bites the big one....

Graeme Shaw

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 04:09:03 pm »
[Hopefully] Final update...
I got a call from the shop just now, and all they need is an oil filter adaptor (mon~tues) and they'll be good to go.  *phew*

I'll be dropping by tomorrow or monday with my 5L of Mobil1 5-30.

I think I need my grandparents to kick the bucket so I can have my inheritance and fix my goddamn car from the chassis up :S

Offline John Hartman

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 05:04:00 pm »
Graeme, use 10-30, and in the summer use even heavier.  5-30 is a little thin for our hot turbo engines.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Graeme Shaw

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 06:26:09 pm »
5-30 is what lowell recommended....

Offline John Hartman

MOTHER FACKING FACK!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 07:05:29 pm »
hmmm, ok :)  He knows these things better than me for sure.