Author Topic: More suspension Q&A:lowering springs Vs coilovers  (Read 622 times)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

More suspension Q&A:lowering springs Vs coilovers
« on: March 09, 2003, 08:50:48 pm »
THE STORY-
As I was working on my car today replacing the stupid hatch struts with the help of Jeff and Andrew (thanks again guys! :) ), it was pointed out that my shocks are going.

THE QUESTION-
I was thinking about getting either coilovers or just lowering springs when I change the shocks.  Unfortunatly I have a somewhat limited knowledge on coilovers so I was wondering, which is a better idea for street and occasional autocrossing?  I'm not too concerned with a punishing ride but I don't want a car that can't clear a speedbump.  Coilovers sounds good because you can vary the height, but do you have to get a camber kit as well?

opinions anyone?
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Merlin Beerens

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 11:07:49 pm »
well spring are quite a bit cheaper, clearing speed bumps wont be a problem, as long as you dont lower TOO much more than 2".  Will you actually play around with the ride height?  What you want to look for is spring rate, I've heard that with Ground Control Coilovers, you can ask for a certain spring rate (they use eibach springs.)

On my car I am using KYB AGX's and Eibach Sportlines, IMO, it's a FINE setup no complaints at all.
url=http://gallery78402.fotopic.net/c223558.html]1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD[/url]

Offline Raymond Leung

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 03:34:55 am »
I've looked into gettin coilovers myself....

I've looked into ground control but upon further research.... I stumbled accross DiamondStarSpecialties coilovers..... and from what I've heard.... their even better than Ground Control but their a bit more expensive....

Hope this helps some,
Raymond
90 Mitsubishi Galant FWD Turbo
'92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Offline Damian Zerr

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 12:07:48 pm »
I'm happy with my dropzone coilovers I got on ebay, best 200 bucks I spent on my dsm yet. They do the job great. Been driving with them on for about 4 months now and I don't have one complaint about them. The springs come with a lifetime warrenty to. Once I get a camber kit I'm going to drop her even more, they should drop the ride down to 2inchs when fully dropped. Spring rates are 450 front, 350 rear. Oh and I don't have any problems with speed bumps, you just can't drive fast over them, but who ever does lol.

this is what my car looked like before coilovers

after coilovers installed, still about half an inch that and still be lowered, maybe more

any questions
0PSI and 0 Knock